New seizure onset toy poodle
Well since last Saturday my 11 yr old toy poodle suffered seizures, with Sunday being a full blown one. She was hospitalized both days and stabilized.
I took her to her vet on Monday and was prescribed phenobarbital and told most likely a brain tumor. Of course if I had the financial means I would do more, maybe an MRI etc. I sure don't like the side effects of pheno for her, but the thought of her going through more seizures is to scary.
Any thoughts out there or experiences.

beangirl
You have a difficult situation all us pet owners experience - my sympathy.

I don't know what the side effects of the medication is, and what does it accomplish - reduction in seizure, symptom only?  

My understanding is most small dogs have a life expectancy in the 15+ year range, so if yoiu can at least give the dog some quality of life with meds it seems worth a try.

As for the additional tests, what can that help?  If they confirm a tumor, what that that point to?  Surgery?  If additional tests are not likely to point the way to a reasonable (cost/pain/risk) cure, then I say don't worry or "feel bad" about not paying for more tests.

Wishing you and your poddle more years of enjoyment together.
Here is our largest link on the subject:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/Phenobarbital-side-effects--how-long/show/1525013