Dogs Community
Open wound after mammary cancer surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Open wound after mammary cancer surgery

My dog recently had surgery for a large mammary tumor and there was not enough skin left to staple or stitch together.  She is not running a temperature and the vet doesn't think there is an infection but the skin is getting more red each day, still ozzing and smelling, and is not granulating and healing as it should be.  My vet is not giving me much as alternatives other than wait and see or euthanize her.  She appears otherwise normal, seems to have plenty of energy, has starting eating better since surgery and wants to walk a lot more than the vet says she should.  My question is "What else can I do to promote the healing process?"  Is there a topical treatment, vitamin treatment, or certain foods, or anything else that will promote healing.  I know with human burn victims, there are even sheets of skin grown in large petrie dishes.  There must be SOMETHING other than the bandage and "wait and see" approach.  We are basically being told that the skin needs to heal quickly or we need to euthanize her.
Welcome to the forum.....First, why would your Vet suggest Euthanizing her? Is something else wrong with her? That really doesn't make sense!

We need more info. about her:

What breed & how old is she?
When was the surgery?
How large is the open wound?
What OTC products have you tried? ANY? Has your Vet given any prescription products such as ointments or sprays or salves to try? Are you putting anything on the bandage?
What food does she eat and for how long? Is she on a Multi-Vitamin or any supplements? Anything else you can think of would be helpful...... Thanks, Karla
I would take her promptly to another vet.
Some wounds heal well, some don't. What you have to avoid is "necrotizing tissue" here.
Are the stitches holding? Or have they come apart? If they have it might be that she will need to be briefly anesthetized and the sutures re-done.
I honestly think you could do with a second opinion.

Even though she feels like exercising it might be wise to restrict her exercise to the basics, especially if the stitches have come apart, and need re-doing. And especially as there will be a lot of tension on the stitches, as there isn't a lot of skin after her surgery.
Just while this has chance to heal. And of course don't let her lick the wound.