Over weight Dog-Protruding Chest Bone
Why does my maltese, that is slightly over weight and not always very active, have such a protruding and boney chest bone? He had his thyroid tested last year (it is the bone below that area). He's been eating normally and drinking a little extra. I've made an appointment with the vet, but in the meantime, I'm worried.
I'm afraid I don't know about the chest bone. Is it any kind of definite lump -or just the whole chest bone? Can you remember -has it always been like that? Or is this a definite change?
But is there any reason why he's overweight? Does he eat too much for his activity levels? Getting his weight down to normal might help his general fitness, and even might encourage him to get up a bit and walk more (unless he is too unwell to do that) Carrying extra weight is a catch-22 situation. The excess weight makes the dog lethargic...less exercise means more weight-gain, and so on.
Dogs obviously need more food if they are active, and less food if they are not.
I would take him to the vet -yes. Get him checked out thoroughly. A complete blood profile may show exactly how he is doing.
Then think about getting his weight down. Two meals a day with maybe one small healthy evening or midday snack will do, like a slice or two of apple, or a carrot to gnaw on. Make sure he eats only the amount of his dog food measured for his weight and activity levels, and has no Human Food.
See if you an encourage him to get off his bed and play a little, and if he's fit enough, make sure he has a good walk twice a day, with maybe some ball chasing or frisbee. If he's been inactive for a while, build up to that gradually.

But before all that you definitely need to know how his organs are functioning. You need to know about his heart and lungs....etc
So get him checked over. Good idea.