Pain After Anal Gland Expression
I have a 3 yr old male Shih Tzu/Pekingese mix. The vet just expressed his anal glands, at the same time he gave him two of his immunizations and something for inflammation. They also sent him home with liquid amoxicillin.

As soon as left the office he started acting listless and acts like his butt hurts him. He'll lie down for a minute then jump up like he is in pain, then he'll like back down and look at his butt. We were concerned so the next day we took him back and they sent him home with pain medicine. That was five days ago and he still acts like he is in pain. He was not doing this before we took him to the vet.

Is there something that could have happened during the procedure to injure him? If not what might be causing the pain?

Our vet is getting to be elderly and I hate to say it but we've started questioning his abilities a bit lately.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Thank you.
One of my dogs does this exact thing after having her anal glands expressed. (Every time!)  The other three, it does not bother....It usually lasts for 4 days....I give Benedryl for a few days each time...He may also being experiencing pain from the immunization sight. Do you know what the inflammation med. was and why did he need it? Also, what is the antibiotic being given for? These meds. could be causing his listlessness. Let me know...Karla