Dogs Community
Pain when jumping on the couch

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Pain when jumping on the couch

My 2 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is experiencing pain when jumping on the furniture.  She yelps every time she jumps up or we pick her up.  This has been going on for 3 weeks.  x-rays show nothing, no arthritis.  My Vet doesn't have any ideas.  I put her on cage-rest for 1 week thinking it was back pain, but that didn't work.  Please help!
My dog did the same thing and it turned out to be hip dysplasia. Im surprised nothing has turned up in xrays. I would just keep her off the couch and maybe ask you vet if she thinks joint lubricants would be a good idea. Good luck with you dog..poor puppy!
Hello & welcome......Stop her from jumping immediately.....Because it also happens when you pick her up, IMO, it's a spinal disk problem.....Google IVDD (Intervertebral Disk Disease). There will be alot of information on the subject...

Normally, it will NOT show up on an xray, but the protocol is started anyway....That includes strict cage rest, steroids, & pain management......

What you don't want is the disk to rupture...That can lead to paralysis of the limbs, then it turns into an emergency!

If you suspect it's her neck, then as the disease progresses, she will develop a limp in her front legs.....The back disks are at greater risk of rupturing & paralysis begins usually in one or both of the back legs.....

Either way, your Vet should have started treatment just from your description.....Cage rest is a must...Usually, 4-6 weeks will do it....Leash walks only & NO running, jumping, playing.....

What your trying to accomplish is with time, the disk material will go back down and not be protruding into the spinal column.....

If you think it's her hips, Hip Dysplasia WILL show on an xray.....An MRI or CAT scan will show disk disease....These tests are very expensive, that's why treatment is started from just description of symptoms.....

Good luck & let us know what you find out.......Karla

P.S. I just had an afterthought....Has she been vaccinated (In her neck) anytime recently? Just curious......

I agree with the other.  But another possibility is her feet.  Check her paws, especially dew claws, toenails.  I know, she yelps when you pick her up, so that's not feet, but knowing the size of those dogs, her feet are pressed in the process.  She may walk fine, but it's the extra pressure from jumping or holding a goofed-up foot that may elicit a yelp.  And the above poster prompted me to think of her collar fit.  Also check her tummy for a thorn or sticker.
My dachshund (now in doggie heaven) was doing the same thing a few years before he passed and it was nerve damage along his spine. I don't know if the x-ray that was performed was one of just the skeleton or not, but if so it wouldn't show nerves/muscles that might be causing the problems. Hope the mystery gets solved! I hate those stumpers!
my 5 yr old red nose&american staf is suddenly having problems standing on her to rear legs she also hasn't passed her stool for two days.she tries to stand up and walks a few steps then sits back down.im thinking she might have hurt her back in the middle of night trying to jump up onto my bed which is 4ft tall not sure what to do