Dogs Community
Painkillers for Dogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Painkillers for Dogs

Are there painkillers for dogs that are safe?  Tramadol caused my 11 year old chow chow Emily to have seizures after two days 4 pills and the Rimadyl side effects I just read here are equally as bad.  Both were give to her by her vet of six years.  If anyone has any ideas please contact me at ***@****.   Thank you.
Actually, tramadol (brand name is ultracet) and rimadyl are safe for dogs.  I've had dogs on rimadyl for many years due to arthritis and they never had a problem with it.  Tramadol was reserved for post-op pain treatment and only for a few days.

Can you give us more information on exactly what kind of pain your chow chow has and any other meds that have been tried?  I suspect the seizures while on tramadol may have been a coincidence, but without more information on your dog's case I could be completely wrong.

If you're trying to treat bone pain like arthritis, a really good - but expensive - med is deramaxx.  It came on the market several years ago and made a tremendous difference in our old dog when rimadyl was no longer effective.  It's not as hard on the liver either from what I read.

If the pain is due to something like pancreatitis, then none of these meds will help.  That condition calls for the big guns like fentanyl or dilaudid.

P.S. - In case you were wondering, Med Help automatically "stars" out email addresses for our own protection.  There are plenty of nasty programs on the internet that scour forum sites for email addresses, so Med Help is trying to prevent digital harrassment of the members.  We do have a PM (private message) function here.  Just float your cursor over any member's name, and select the "Send Message" option to send a PM to that member.
A Vet prescribed Deramaxx for my friend's dog, and ithe dog began having seizures within 24 hours-  (never had seizures before).  And then it was one problem after another.  May have been coincidental, but my friend didn't think so.  Maybe Metacam would be a safer alternative (?)  There are over the counter (herbal/supplement) type painkillers available at pet stores or on-line, though I don't know if they'd work for the particular ailment your dog has.  Bromalain, (without food) magnesium, and curcumin are good supplements for inflammation, (often inflammation is a major culprit with arthritis or post-surgery pain).  (Curcumin is also great for kidney functio). Buffered aspirin (or baby aspirin) is safe for dogs, (and is also an anti-flammatory).  Just don't give aspirin pre-surgery, as its a blood-thinner.

Please watch deramaxx I gave it to my rottweiler and in 1 week he died from the deramaxx that LSU in Baton Rouge La. prescribed.
Yes, there is one that comes to mind... but it hasn't been re-legalized nationwide yet.