Dogs Community
Panting, pacing, restless dog! Advise please!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog Joey (retriever/lab mix, 7yrs old, approx 70 lbs) has recently started to pant and pace constantly for the past 4 nights. He has barely slept and seems as if he is afraid to lie down and go to sleep. I know he is tired and wants to, but as soon as trys, he gets right back up and starts walking around again. He has NEVER done this before - completely out of the oridnary. I'm worried he is in pain but 2 vets examined him physically, and both times Joey did not indicate he was in pain at all. His appetite, bowel movements, temperature are all good. He, nor me or my husband have been unable to sleep these past couple of nights b/c of his constant restlessness. What could this be or does anyone have any idea if these are symptoms of something to come? I read on here about epilepsy but I have not seen any seizures in him. The vets did not do bloodwork or xrays as they both thought he looked and appeared to be healthy and couldnt justify a reason for doing so since he was checked with a thorough physical exam. They suggested it was more mental (anxiety) issues but this is truly abnormal for him and prescribed some vallium to calm and relax his muscles. He is an anxious dog, but never to this extreme. My husband and I are really worried and frustrated. Can someone help shed some light on this, PLEASE???
Bloodwork is never a waste of time or resources. Either the bloodwork helps diagnosis, showing up certain imbalances, which -even if not full-blown, could be preludes to illness to come....or they come up healthy and clean.

It might be a good idea to push this issue with your vet, and to ask again for your dog to have a full blood panel.
Changes in behaviour and mood don't always have to signify physical illness. But in dogs these things can.

It's wise not to assume he has a Behaviour issue, or is suffering from anxiety or depression, before getting him checked out thoroughly on a physical level, and seeing what the results say.
it might be that the dog has separation anxiety,if you want try to give him alot of toys and treats when he goes on his bed,or if you want try to turn off the lights and pretend to sleep for maybe two minutes get up and visit him to reasure him that he's fine and maybe repeat that a few times,so he associates night time with positive things.