Dogs Community
Pimple like bump on my dog's ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Pimple like bump on my dog's ear

My dog has a pimple size hard red bump on his outer ear. It doesn't bother him when I touch it, but it hasn't gotten any better within the last 2 days, it is still the same size. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
It could be a small cyst. Some dogs are prone to these.
Are you certain it isn't an attached, feeding tick? If you look at with a magnifier,you can tell if it's a tick or not, as if it is you will see little black wriggly legs at the side of it. Grasp it firmly at the base next to the skin with tweezers, and pull firmly out, then dab some antiseptic on the place where it bit.

If it's a cyst, they are generally harmless. Unless they get infected. Cysts can grow in size, and sometimes need to be removed surgically. But they are not sinister in any way.

However, if you decide it definitely ISN'T a tick, and you need to find out what it is, there is only one person who could tell you for sure, and that's the vet.
Avatar n tn
I have a 2 year old Toy Dachshund, bosley.  He was given to me a year ago.  After having him for approx. 3 months, I noticed a small bump on his ear.  Was not a zit. I tried to pop it and quickly noticed that you could not pop it.  I left it alone and the next couple of days it grew bigger, from a small size to the size of a small pea. Same color as his skin.  It was there for months and finally went away. Bosley would scratch at it here and there when on his ear. The bump has not been back on his ear.  
He had another 2 bumps appear on the inside of his leg, in which I gently squeezed hard pus out. It had a tiny black center.  It refilled 2 more times and stopped growing back. after squeezing I would but an antibiotic ointment on the site.  Now he has a bump on his back that looks like the one he had on his ear.  Not a zit. same color again as his skin.  I am watching it, however I think it's the same thing that lasted several months on his ear and went away.
I think it is common for dogs to get these bumps.  My beagle of 17 years had them all over and he was healthy and never sick in all the years I had him.

I think the best thing to do with any lump which either suddenly appears, or grows, or changes in any way, is to get it checked out professionally with the vet. You will probably find that the lumps are benign, and nothing to worry about. But it is always much much safer to get them checked out anyway. No matter how small they are.
My Chihuahua had a similar hard skin coloured bump on her back for about 8 months.  We had it checked by the vet and he said that is was a fat pocket and may go away.  It did.  She recently got a similar hard bump on her ear and it popped after about 3 weeks so I squeezed out the rest of the hard puss and the disinfected it.  Not entirely sure if the bumps are related, but the vet says that lots of dogs don't have proper ways to dispose of excess fat from a high protein or fatty diet and they form those fat deposits.  Nothing to be concerened about unless they form large ones around joints.
Now you may have something there because years ago when I fed my dog canned dogfood and store-bought kibble (I didn't know better then!) -she did develop a lot of those tiny fatty lumps that popped open and discharged hard fatty substance.
Now I changed her diet over the past 4-5 years, give her healthy option dry food, mixed with home cooked lean meats fish and vegetables, and she never gets those lumps any more.
I have a 6 yaer old chiuahuahua spanial mix he has a white pimple like bump right at the tip of his right outer ear. I have had a vet look at it and she gave me some ointment to put on but it hasn't gone away. Any ideas what it might be
my doverman pincher mini as a white pimple like bumd on her ear
My dog had a small black pimple like lump on his ear I barley taped it and it poped out blood and grew back should I be worried
I think your vet needs to check this,it may well be nothing but
best check to be sure. My old Yorkie who just passed this
year at 15-1/2 had something like this on her ear,my vet
needed to remove a small section of her ear as the one she
had kept returning,it was NOT malignant. I'm sorry I don't
remember now what it was as Shelby was 2 years old when
this was done but things turned out fine for her...an exam
is best to find answers.
Jan
My dog is 6 months she has a pimple look alike color red pinkish , it doesnt hurt her at all & has nothing around it or on it . Is there anything i can apply or anything i can give her to get ride of it ?
It is very hard to diagnose or even guess what this might
be as this could be minor or something more serious?
The best thing you could do for your little girl is take her
in to see your vet to get it checked out,an exam would
be the best way to find out what is going on and what
can be done.
Please come back and let me know how your little one
is doing.
Jan