Dogs Community
Please help me with my yorkie...she is sweating

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Hi I have a yorkshire Terrier....was given to my by a freind.  I know from reading up on them that are not suposed to sweat.  Mine does.  I give her a bath most every week.  But, to no avail she is still sweating.  There is a strong oder too.  I just don't know what can be wrong?  Can you please tell me if this is somethig I can take care of or is this a visit to the vet?
Dogs have two types of sweat glands.  Eccrine glands are found on the bottoms of the paws, and apocrine glands are found among the hair follicles.  Dogs do not thermoregulate themselves by sweating through the apocrine glands, instead these glands secrete pheromones that are used as a means of communication with other dogs.  Also, the amount of "sweat" produced by the apocrine glands should be a minute amount, certainly not enough that it would appear as though the dog was sweating.  
Dogs thermoregulate themselves by panting and by sweating through their paw pads.  Any moisture that is found on her body is not sweat, even though it might have the appearance of sweat.

I would say that if your yorkie is producing enough pheromones to make her coat wet, or even enough to be noticeable, there is something odd going on with her endocrine system that needs to be addressed.  She could just be a dog that produces an abundance of pheromones.  It could be something is peculiar to just her, or it could be an actual medical problem, but I would have a vet be the one to make that determination.

Is she spayed?  How old is she?

Ghilly
my yorkie has been ahving the same problem, sweating so bad when you pick him up he is wet. I give him a bath and with hours another sweat attack and I'm right back where I started. I cant give him a bath every day. I read to give him olive iol in his food to help his coat and terrible ry skin. Coat and skin look great. Its not hte olive oil making him sweat as he was doing it before.
Vet bills were so high last visit $259. cant afford that, blood work proved nothing. going crazy

Rusty
Talk to a GOOD Yorkie breeder. I've never heard of this in any breed and bathing a dog more than once or twice a year should be the limit for bathing. (Show dogs get bathed more often, but the shampoos are different) Bathing with the wrong ingrediants like dish liquids ect cause the wrong PH balance in the skin and can cause problems. If you are giving olive oil, you could be giving too much or too often and that could cause problems with the coat. You could have a dog who already has oily skin and coat making it appear to be wet. Talk to a good breeder and get advice from them. If you need help with this PM me and I'll try and help.