Dogs Community
Pneumonia in 13 week old chihuahua!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Pneumonia in 13 week old chihuahua!

7824442?1333355148
Sanchez, the Chihuahua, 13 weeks old, our new member of the family started coughing 4-6 hrs after his vaccinations( 2nd set of injections)on Wed. 28th March. We took him to the vet and he received an x-ray which showed cloudy lungs. I feared(and still do) that it could be Distemper, so we went to another vet to get a swab test. The test was negative but I have come to understand that Distemper can not show up sometimes and that eventually 80% of the pups can die from the Pneumonia before any signs of Distemper show up.
His symptoms, have been rapid breathing, coughing and a slight wet/runny nose at times and the doctor says she sees signs of hardpad or "erosion of tissue" as she called it(we live in Thailand). He is very playful, eats very well and drinks normally. She started him on a new course of antibiotics through injection and orally. Other medicines that were prescribed were, Aureo, Mucin, Interferen. We also add some vitamin c to his diet to boost his immune system. We go to the vet everyday for the last 3 days for him to get his injection of antibiotics and a 45 mins session in a nebulizer with a bronchdilator spray. I also steam up the bathroom and we go in there for 15 mins sessions twice a day to help him clear out the lungs. He has his own room which is kept warm without draft and we give him a lot of love and affection. He has had a second X ray on Sunday 1st of April and although he is more playful then ever, eats like a lion and seems better, the doctor says his condition has not improved. I know the prognosis for pups with Pneumonia  is not good but I am determined to do everything for Sanchez. I would like to hear of anyone who has had experiences and/or knowledge about this condition? Thank you and bless all the animal lovers.
Hello & welcome to the forum....
This sounds like "Kennel Cough" to me......Did he have the "Bordetella" Vaccine or nasal spray with his other vaccines? If so, it (More than likely) triggered the Virus?

You might "Google" Kennel Cough and see if that's what your guy is dealing with.......Let us know....Karla

I agree with Karla, it sounds like Kennel Cough to me.  Kennel cough often resolves itself as long as it's not a real serious case of it.  There has been good results treating this disease with azithromycin.  

Sanchez is certainly an adorable little boy!  I hope he is back to normal again soon!  Please keep us updated.

Ghilly
Update: Today Sanchez went for his nebulizer treatment and he is coughing less but his lungs are still congested. Dr. said that although his swab test for Distemper was negative, she highly suspects Distemper because of the hardpad and pneumonia. He will be tested again on 7th April. How long would it take for Distemper to manifest itself in a swab test? I don;t think it is Kennel cough because he didn't have the reverse sneeze or honking cough everyone mentions. He barks normally. Thank you Misfits4me and Ghilly for the nice comments.
UPDATE! He didn't have Distemper and after numerous trips, we cleared all his ailments. He is a lively little dog who gives a lot of love and all has turned out for the best. Thank you for the support and advice!
Great News!!!.......Thanks for checking back in......Glad to hear he's doing well.......Wishing both of you a wonderful celebration of our Nation's Birthday (Unless of course, he's terrified of Fireworks like two of mine are!) :(   Take care & again, thanks for coming back to let us know...........Karla

P.S.  I suspect that all of this WAS a Vaccine reaction.......Make sure you study up on it before next years Vet reminder........Your Vet probably did not or will not recognize it as such....A Holistic Vet would have!  If it in deed was a reaction, the next time could be worse or fatal!!!   Please, be very careful! I'm not trying to scare you, just want to give you a heads up before next year.......These Tiny dogs seem to react more severely......Mainly because they get the same SIZE DOSE as the German Shepard living next door!!!!   Bye