Dogs Community
Pomeranian with eye problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Pomeranian with eye problems

I have a two year old pomeranian. For the past two weeks or so he has been rubbing his eyes on the carpet, ground, and me. Also, two days ago when I took him to get him groomed, he would not let the groomer dry his face off. He has never had any problems letting the groomer dry him before. Is it possible that he has allergies or an eye infection? Any suggestions on the course of action I should take to deal with this problem? Thanks.
Do his eyes look any different? Are they swollen, red, draining, goopy, etc. anything that you can see? If not, this could be ear problems. How do his ears look? Normal pink or red inflammed?  Not letting the groomer touch his face, leads me to believe it's possibly a tooth thing. Any mouth odor, swelling or redness of gums, trouble eating, etc? Watch him and see if you can determine which area is causing the pain. Yes, it could be allergies, but it also could be an infection of any of the three. This would warrant  a Vet check and antibiotics. Don't wait too long; these can get worse, quickly.....Good luck  
His eyes don't look any different and his ears also look normal. No problems with his teeth either. At least none that I can see, smell, or feel. He hasn't had any problems eating either. His behavior has been normal except for the pawing at the eyes.
OK, then I would lean towards an allergy.  Any change in shampoos, sprays, detergents that you use on him or his bedding? Any new carpet, or household cleaners.  Have you changed his food recently? Anything you can think of that has changed? If not, it's probably outdoor allergies. It's that time of year!  Have you tried to give him an antihistamine? Benedryl can be given to dogs. The dose is 1mg. per lb. and can be given 4 times a day. You might try this to see if it helps. Then you'll know that its allergy related and search for the culprit. Watch him closely, rubbing the eyes on everything can lead to an infection, thus a Vet visit. Also, try washing his eyes out with a human saline solution (For Eyes). This will give him some relief, but only temporary.  Good luck and keep us posted........Karla
My Pom seems to have like a thin mucas type of substance that appears over her eyes.  When I try to get it out, she has a fit.  It is like when our children has a "cold" in their eyes and their eyes would mat shut.  Hers do not mat shut but she sits with her eye close and she does not open it to see.  After I have clear away this material she is alright for a while but then it appears again.  Any help?  Foxie's mom
my pom had puppies two weeks ago but their eyes are not open what is wrong