Dogs Community
Poodle Cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Poodle Cough

My male 14 year old poodle gags and coughs about 4 to 8 times in a 24 hour period. My vet said his aging trachea is the culprit.  Is there any natural or mild treatment to treat this cough?  He also had a paralyzing back injury a year and a half ago which he has recovered remarkedly well from with just temporary steroidal treatment. He has full use and mobility of his legs. Recently I have noticed him reluctant to jump up on furniture at times and just seeming a little less agile. Can you recommend anything for him that might help his decreased agility and stiffness?
He's lucky to have come through such a nasty spinal problem, and kept his mobility. No doubt that is due to the care you gave him through that bad time.

Poor doggy, coughing like that! I would if possible, ask another vet about this. It might be "his aging trachea" but it also might have another cause. Perhaps you could get a second opinion. But of course the first vet might be right. Did the vet examine him thoroughly? My first thought would be that he could have something stuck in his throat, to be coughing and gagging so frequently (?) Or it might be a slight dryness, which a spray of artificial saliva could relieve? I don't know for sure if there is such a product for veterinary use, but there certainly is one for humans. However unless the vet said it was ok, I wouldn't recommend using the human spray on him.

He is growing older now, so I suppose to a certain extent he will start 'slowing down'. This is to be expected, and is quite natural. He might start to sleep more, or not feel so much like jumping around. However, you could try Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement to help his joint mobility. I wouldn't expect miracles from this, but who knows?

For his cough, a Homoeopathic remedy might help. Homoeopathy can work exceptionally well with animals, is perfectly safe, has no side effects. It will either work, and work quite quickly, or just not work at all. But it might be worth trying. You could try DROSERA 6c. 2 tabs. 3 times a day. (Crush tablets between 2 spoons to make powder. Do not handle the tablets or put them near strong odours/flavours. Add the powder to his water if he will not lick it off the spoon. It tastes nice, is sweetened with lactose, and dogs often like them. As soon as you see any improvement, cut the dosage to 2 times a day, then 1. If the symptoms go away, stop dosing. Only resume if the symptoms come back.)
A pharmacy or Health Food Store might stock them, or if not you could probably buy online.