Dogs Community
Possible Zinc Deficiency in Alaskan Malamute??

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

8483928?1352000583
I have a 4 year old Alaskan Malamute, Loki, who has dandruff like flakes on some areas of his skin.  His hair is also a bit thinner along his spine on his lower back. I have tried researching skin conditions in Malamutes and found a lot of information on zinc-responsive dermatosis in Alaskan Malamutes.  I would love to know if anyone else is giving their dog zinc supplements and how you went about finding out that your dog has zinc-responsive dermatosis.

I have spoken to my vet about this and they didn't seem to know a lot about it.  Also, the dandruff flakes are on his sides and body in general.  He does not have a problem with the hair around his face and neck.

We have been told by our vet that Loki is an allergy dog and in his life time he has had around 8 hotspots, a few trips to the vet to have his anal glands excreted and often rubs his face along the ground and lick at his paws.  

The vet suggested a change in diet to harden up his stools to excrete his anal glands. He was getting dry food and store bough meat rolls or cans.  He is now eating a vegetable(pumpkin, carrot, broccoli and apples), sardine, tuna and egg mix for brekky and some form of meat at night, either chicken frames, chicken legs, lamb hearts and beef neck pieces. He has had this change of diet for around 6 months now.

Although he has always had a bit of this dandruff like flaking it seem to have become worse over the past 6 months since his change in diet.  I am wondering if now that we are making his own food there is not enough of the nutrients he needs in it (especially the zinc).  I know Malamutes benefit from omega oils as well which is why I include sardines and tuna in his food. He is a happy healthy dog in all other respects and has fantastic teeth since he has been eating fresh meat and bones.

What sort of supplements should I be giving Loki that he may be missing in his food?

If you ate making your own dog food at home, cooked or raw, you have to make sure it is a balanced diet.  You could try adding Some fresh fish or fish oil supplements.  
Check out Yahoo groups for homemade dog food.  I am sure you will find a lot of info there.
Do a Google search for malmute health issues.
I think I would also having the thyroid checked.
Agree with Margot49's post.  Also, there is a supplement called EFA-Z that might be just the ticket.  It contains essential fatty acids and zinc.