Dogs Community
Possible intestinal blockage, what other than surgery can make it pass ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Possible intestinal blockage, what other than surgery can make it pass through her?

My almost 3 year old puggle was sick all day yesterday and today vomiting up bile. When I feed her yesterday it immediately came back up. She vomited more bile this morning although I hadn't fed her anything.  She has an appointment for an xray this afternoon. I think she ate something again and might face surgery.Does anyone know of something I can give her to make whatever it is pass through her? She ate a sock when she was about 5 months old and had to have it surgically removed. I hate to have to put her through that again. Also, how can I get her to stop eatting unedible things? She's a little thief and takes things out of the dryer, laundry basket, kids rooms. Most of my house except the kitchen, foyer and hallway are gated. But when we're home she finds things sneaks under the couch and eats them before we realize it. The vet suggested putting a muzzle on her but she's just miserable with that on her 24/7. Perhaps that is the only solution.
Of course the vet will have to see the films and determine if anything can be done besides surgery.  None of us can say.  I hope it's something that can be fixed.  

Our dogs are big chewers, and we have to keep every single thing off the floor.  Clothes cannot be kept in the laundry basket where they can get into them.  Closet doors are closed to keep shoes out of reach.  Every single thing has to be off the floor, or it's fair game.  When we leave the house, we crate them.  I work nights, my husband works days, so there really is someone here most of the time, anyway.  

Provide appropriate chew toys for the dog, and praise her for using them.  

Since you have kids, it's harder.  Doors to the bedroom have to be closed at all times, and the kids have to be made aware of the fact that if they leave stuff where the dog can get it, it could kill her.  You must provide lots of exercise for some types of dogs, and just letting them out in the backyard isn't enough.  Walking them provides some mental stimulation, as well as physical exercise.  A walk should be 45 min a day, at least.  I have a heavy backpack for one of my dogs to wear, b/c a 45 min walk isn't enough!  

I don't think muzzling the dog is the answer.  Ask your vet for a consult with an animal behaviorist.  They might be able to work with you.