Dogs Community
"Possible" new treatment for Demodex

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

"Possible" new treatment for Demodex

This may be a premature posting but there "may" be a new treatment on the horizon for Demodex.  Would be nice not to have to resort to Ivermectin and dips.
My daughter has a rescue pup that started showing hair loss before Christmas.  Her Vet did a skin scraping and found two mites but decided to treat with antibiotics instead, theory being most dogs have the mites.  The pup did not improve. I saw the dog at Christmas and again in May and it was obviously worse and I told my daughter they better try the treatment for Demodex.  The pup got worse, developing inflamed skin and pustules.  She was referred to a Canine Dermatology Specialist who did skin scrapings and hair follicle analysis and highly suspected Demodex.  My daughter expressed her concerns about using Ivermectin.  
The Specialist told her that she had recently attended a conference and some Vets were having some success treating digs with a new fked and tick medication.  This Vet has joined a pilot study as the drug has not been approved for the treatment of Demodex.  My daughter decided she would like to try the drug and the Vet will monitor the progress.  One dose is supposed to last 8-12 weeks.
My daughter started the pup on the medication and she said within 72 hours there was great improvement in the skin inflammation and pustules.  She has not seen any further hair loss.  Has seen no side effects.  Granted, it has only been about two weeks now and I have not checked for a current update.
Contacted a friend of mine who is a Vet in another state.  She is treating one dog and, so far, so good.
I am in NO way pushing the use of this drug.  I am, however, posting this information so people know there "may" be an alternate treatment out there.  Of course, you would always want to discuss options with your Vets.
Like I stated, it is trials so only time will tell.
The drug is used for fleas and ticks.  It is called Bravecto.
Bumping this.  

My daughter took her rescue back to the socialist and no signs of Demodex, scabs are healing, only one small pustule and hair appears to be growing back.  Encouraging.
Bumping this up again.  My daughter's dig is almost clear and my Vet friend has a dog she is trying this in with good results.
This sounds like interesting and positive news Margot. It can be very hard to treat Demodectic mange. I am so glad to hear your daughter's dog is doing very well!
I wanted to bump this up.  Might be something to consider for some of the rescues that come in in such bad shape.
Yes, her dog has responded very well as has the one dog my Vet friend has been treating.  So far, neither have had any side effects and the dips are not necessary.  
There are a group of Vet Dermatologists that are kind of networking on their own, from what I understand, trying this on Demodex cases.
Wanted to bump this up again.  
The pup my daughter has been treating with the Bravecto is doing great!!!  No more lesions or hair loss.  His hair is growing back in and his coat look great!  He has had no adverse reactions to this med.  He will stay on it for fkeas and ticks but will need something else fir heart worm.  That is the plan right now.  
My friend, who is a Vet, us seeing good results in the dog she has been treating also.
Will be interesting to follow this possible new treatment.