Dogs Community
Post surgical "open" wound care

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Post surgical "open" wound care

Our lovable pet has recently had two surgeries for removal of a mass cell tumor on her right inner hind leg.  First was to remove tumor, second was to capture clean margins, the latter of which occurred 2 weeks ago today.  Post second surgery the wound opened and developed infection requiring hospital stay for 3-4 days for meds and hydrotherapy.  She was released to us a week ago subject to continuing hydrotherapy treatment at home followed by application of Trypzyme-V drops (2) with that followed by an application of silver sulfadiazine cream - no bandages.  She completed antibiotics and pain meds 2 days agol.  Her wound is very red, particularly along the edges where the stitches originally were located and I'm not sure if it is healing correctly or not.  No leakage or draining of any kind; no swelling, just RED and very sensitive for her with today's treatment.  Spoke w/Vet's tech yesterday who indicated that this was a sign of healing and they didn't feel they needed to see her for another week unless things changed.  No additional antibiotics or pain meds were prescribed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is the red and irritated look a sign of healing?  Should she still be on antibiotics?  I guess I sort of question why the Vet didn't want to see her just to see how she is progressing.  I only want the best for her and reassurance that I am doing all I can do for her well-being.   Anyone out there have any experience with this?  Thank you so much!