Dogs Community
Pug Pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Pug Pneumonia

I have a 7 year old pug who was diagnosed with pneumonia back in March of 2008.  After a series of both herbs and more serious medication (human quality z-pack {both of which are prescribed by my vet}) she seemed to be doing well.  Her coughing seized and there was no fluid detected in her lungs.  She has been off the medication for 3 weeks and her coughing started again.  We are trying a number of herbal remedies to try to right size her health, but nothing seems to be working.  Can you think of anything else that could be causing this honking coughing sound that ends with a gag?  It is a very liquidy cough that sounds like she could gag up, but never seems to.  The cough seems to bring her pain as every time she coughs she has to stand up and her body goes into a full motion of gagging.  I would assume after 6 months of coughing like this it hurts her to cough as well.  Outside of this horrible cough/gag, she seems to be in normal health.  Any suggestions?  
Sounds very similar to our weimaraner that has been diagnosed with by the vet with pneumnia.  She is also has the coughing which leads to the final hack.  Man it's loud.  She has never had health issues so we are trying anything we can to help her loosen the flem (phlegm).  Steamed bathroom, vaporizer, even ordered a nebulizer this week.  She is 12 so we don't feel the expense of doing the trachea wash is financially beneficial to our situation.  She is on clavamox, eating well, drinking, no fever.  Just a bit tired from her interupted nights of hacking (that's me, my husband, and the dog).  We are well in to our 2nd week of this hacking.  She is not bringing up any flem (phlegm) as of yet.  Let me know how your dog is doing and if you have found of anything that helps. Thanks, Di