Dogs Community
Pug had her puppies...She doesn't want to feed them

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My pug had her babies today and not she doesn't want to feed them.  What can I do to help her.  I am waiting to hear from the vet.  
Uh oh.  Just seeing this now.  So, I'm assuming she delivered all naturally with no section?
Is she cleaning/licking them? The puppies will not potty unless they get the licking stimulation from the mother.  Is she tending to them at all?  Ok, assuming she is in a bedding area or crate, or something, lay down beside her and keep her calm.  If need be, get someone to help you and put the puppies on her.  Hopefully, she will let then nurse and do this every 3-4 hrs, if they seem to be feeding well.  Some Moms just do not take to puppies, esp the first litter.  If she is not licking them, you *have* to stimulate them to potty. Get some cotton balls (or something soft) and put some warm water on them and squeeze that out.  You then need to lightly rub the vulve or penis area and the anal area to get them to potty, preferably after each feeding.  
Some ******* just will not accept puppies but, hopefully, instinct will kick in.  What you can try to do (if I can explain this clearly) is to take a cotton ball and potty the puppy.  Put the cotton ball near Mom's nose and let her smell it. With any luck, she will lick it.  If not, potty the pup then take the cotton ball and rub it on Mom's front legs and, hopefully, she will lick that.  If she is acting aggressive towards the pups, do not leave her alone with them.  Keep them in some type of container on a heating pad, set on low and under a towel so it is not hot.  Take the pups out to try and nurse them on Mom, potty them then back to the incubator box.  I doubt you would know how to tube feed.  Assuming not, then you need to get a nursing bottle kit for puppies and you can use goat's milk to feed them.  Again, after they are fed, they need to me manually stimulaterd so they will potty.
Sorry,this is so hard to explain here.  
Like I said, try laying down next to the ***** to keep her quiet and encourage her to nurse the puppies.  
keep us posted.
I did all the things you said last night, but it was before I read your post.  She is doing wonderful today.  She is taking care of her puppies like a good mama should.  She was just a little slow figuring it out, but did fine after I helped her.  She had natural birth with no problems having them.  I did have to help with tearing the bags open as she didn't at first so I was really concerned about the first puppy, but he is doing wonderful.  She had three pups.  One fawn and the other two are black with white patches on their chests.  

I can't thank you enough for all your support.
That's great news on the fact she delivered naturally and she is now accepting the pups!!!
Hope all goes well and keep us posted.  
Make sure Mom is on a good quality kibble and drinks plenty of fluids.
I love puppies.  :-)
Well, unless you have to tube feed a litter of 8 around the clock.  LOL!!
dear margot,
we lost one puppy this weekend.  He was just too tiny and didn't want to nurse.  tried feeding him formula,, but just didn't work.  Vet said he just had too hard of a time coming into this world and wasnt thriving.  Still have two beautiful black babies left and they are doing wonderfully.
I am so sorry the little one died. This does happen in a litter, quite frequently. There is a runt who doesn't make it. It's so sad, but it is Nature.
It's sad when a tiny wee thing dies though, he didn't have long in this world.
I am glad the other pups are thriving. And all worked out well with her nursing.
Oh, so sorry to hear that.  It is sad when we loose puppies.  Many of us have gone to great extent to save puppies and some times that works and sometimes not.  Actually, a Sheltie friend of mine had a litter of 3, 2 with problems.  She worked hard to save those two puppies who grew up to be beautiful dogs and one just placed Second in his class at the National Specialty last week. You don't see that often.  On the other hand, some have been saved that should have been let go as they ended up with problems later on and had to be put down.  
Well, here is hoping that your two remaining pups do well. Fingers crossed.  Wish we could see pics.  I love puppies.  LOL  Oh, unless you  have to tube feed a litter of 8 around the clock for weeks.  Oh, did I say that before?  :-)
my pug just had a cection her first born got stuck as it was coming out backwards and was too big for her so i took her to the vet and he performed the cection the problem is that its been about four hours and she still hasn't woke up from the anestetic but 3 of the five pups were ok i guess the problem is what do i do for the while she is still under they actually sound like newborn babies and i dont know if i should feed them and how somebody please help
I almost didn't read this as it is an old thread.
The mother dog is home or at the Vet?  That is too long for her to be under still.  You need to call the Vet ASAP!  Have the puppies defecated?  They should pass a plug.  What did they do at the Vet's office with the puppies and what did they tell you???  They need to be kept warm in a separate box with a heating pad set on low with towels on top of the pad or with a heat lamp.  Do not leave the pups alone with the mother.  I doubt you know how to tube feed so you would have to either get a puppy feeding formula and a bottle for newborn puppies or you can use canned goat's milk.  Get some cotton balls or a soft rag, wet it with warm water and stimulate the genital area on the pups to see if they will urinate and defecate, don't leave them wet.
They will be okay for a while but you need to contact the Vet and get advice!!
Any updates?
Thank you, this helped me as well.