Dogs Community
Puppies Born Into Parvo?! I'm in desperate need of help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I've come  here, as I'm in desperate need of help but cannot get in contact with my vet... or any vet in the area, for that matter..

At the end of August I lost my puppy to Parvo Virus. Unfortunately, I was in a very bad spot at the time (I had just lost both of my parents and my older brother in a car accident, and found myself with custody of my niece and two nephews), that I honestly never got around to the “Parvo Clean Up”. I had no other pets, and there was never enough time for such a major endeavor.

It wouldn't have been a problem but, as of today, I find myself the new owner of my ex-roommate's heavily pregnant Rat terrier (That in itself is a very long and complicated story, I won't get into).

The terrier, Charlotte, is due any time now. My parent's ran a dog rescue when I was growing up, and I've dealt with my share of whelping pups, but I've never been in quite this situation. You see, Charlotte has never been actually vaccinated against Parvo, I was told, but she did survive a case of it when she was a puppy. Will the puppies still get the needed antibodies from her?

I have no idea what to do for these puppies to protect them, right now. I've moved to an extremely rural area and, as stupid as it is, will NOT be able to get in contact with a vet until Monday. Too, there is simply no where else I can safely send Charlotte; I have few friends and fewer family left.... and even the local animal shelter is filled to capacity, let alone non-kill shelters. I only took her in to begin with, because I knew, had I not, that my ex-roommate would have simply left her outside, on her own, to “let nature take it's course”. As cold as it's been, I don't doubt Charlotte would have been dead before morning.

Her temperature hasn't dropped yet, so I hope she may make it until Monday. Is it too late to clean/bleach the house? Can a dog be vaccinated while pregnant? What are the pups odds if they're born into a house infected with Parvo, or do they have any chance at all?
Charlotte is likely immune to parvo if it is true that she's had it and survived.

It's not too late to clean & bleach the house for the puppies' sake if they haven't been born yet. If I were you I'd pick a room with linoleum, bleach it and keep those puppies in there at all times. Do the best you can & try to sterilize wherever your parvo pup was kept and had access to the floor if possible, and try to keep Charlotte from being able to track any leftover parvo into where the pups are.

It could go either way... you just never know if they'll get it. I'm involved in rescue and we've had litters born into foster homes where other pups had parvo in the past but the new litter never picks it up. It's difficult clean up and especially with carpet and fabrics you can never be sure you get it all. But as for Charlotte herself, I think she's immune to it and so will not get it and transmit it to the pups. Good luck.

That's good advice you've been given.  Its not too late to bleach and clean the areas the pups will be in for now.  

I'll only add to it that you do need to be sure that you take Charlotte and the puppies to the vet and get them all vaccinated when its time.   Vaccinating is cheap compared to the cost of  treating parvo and other diseases, which can run into the thousands of dollars.