Rabies shot has messed up my older dog-eating and water
my 15 year old dog is not eating right or drinking any water for 2 days after a rabies shot. old dogs are not supposed to have them apparently from what I have read online but they never told me this at the rabies clinic. never asked her age until after the shot. :( very worried. this is a dog who would run to the door to go potty even at her age and would climb 4 fairly steep steps. but, the rabies shot did something without a doubt. i am angry and confused and am considering not giving my other dog a rabies shot when it is due.
Hello & welcome......Your right, a 15 yr. old is too old to Vaccinate.....If you don't know already, check your state laws for your other dog....All 27 Veterinary Teaching Hospitals in the US recommend Vaccines every 3 yrs., not every year....That clinic should have never vaccinated your dog!

That does NOT mean to skip the yearly checkup. The check up is a Vital part and should be done for your dog's sake!

I suppose you let it run it's course....You should call your Vet and ask what to do...I know Holistic Vets have a remedy for Vaccine reactions. It's a Homeopathic mix called "Thuja". I don't think Standard Vets have an antidote....

I'm hoping someone else on this board has some ideas for you.....Please, keep us updated on your girl....Karla
Thank you for the info, Karla, I appreciate it. Today was day 2 that she barely ate or drank. I moistened her dry food with some lowfat chicken broth and she ate a small amount which was wonderful. Then this evening she finally walked to the bowl and drank! I was so happy and relieved to see that. For some reason she did not want water before. She was very lethargic the morning after the shot and would not get up off of her bed. :(
She was walking with a limp and she was unbalanced. Needed help with stairs as she would stop on them and just need to be helped. This has been frightening. She seemed much better today and I am hoping this keeps up. The vet in the area I moved to would give no information as what to do and wanted her in there. It was not an emergency at that point and I wanted to give it a day to see. They said that they would not even recommend pain meds and that the rabies shot should not have caused it!! This is not what I am reading online. You would have thought that they would have told me that she should not have gotten that shot but they are probably just trying to protect the rabies clinic, which was held in the same town. I think many vets are just about the money.