Dogs Community
Rash on back legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Rash on back legs

I have an American Bulldog, he has a rash on both back legs and he is constantly chewing/scratching at them.  Are there things I can try to make this go away.  The vet wants to try different antibiotics but has no idea as well.  His food he eats is Kibbles and Bits dry food but he has been eating this for about 6 months and this rash has just occured.  Any suggestions would help.

Thank you
Tags: rash
What kind of testing has your vet done at this point?  I assume he's done a skin scraping and ruled out mange?  If your vet suspects a secondary skin infection has cropped up as a result of all the chewing and scratching, then I agree a course of antibiotics is warranted.  It would help to do some testing to see what bacteria and/or fungus is causing the problem, but that can get expensive.  On the other hand, you will know exactly what treatment is needed and won't have to keep trying different meds until one finally works.

If the antibiotics don't kick this thing permanently and your vet remains clueless, then opt for a second opinion.  I don't mean to knock your vet, but they're human just like the rest of us, and sometimes all you need is a second set of eyeballs on a problem to figure it out.

As an afterthought - have you checked your property for any kind of plant that may be causing the rash?  Some dogs develop seasonal allergies - just like humans - so don't rule out an environmental problem just yet.  :-)
Thanks, I have only had him for 7 months.  He is a rescue that is a full bread but came to me with Heartworm, Lime disease, ear infections.  He hasn't got to be outside very much because of the weather here.  I am not being cheap nor am I trying to forget his problem, However these vet visits have really put me to a new level.  It was one treatment after another.  He just got fixed so All we have left is solving this skin problem.  The vet wanted me to try fish oil tablets to see if that helps so I was going out to get them today.  He also said to try Benydrel.  This is just a tough thing.

Thanks for all your help.
I agree with Jaybay...I'd also like to add that it's very possible that his food is the culprit. Kibbles and Bits is a very low quality food and full of dyes and toxins. The preservatives, in this food, are actually dangerous. The Corn, Wheat & Soy are all allergens. The only thing good I saw (On their ingredient list) was there were NO by-products. There was absolutely no protein (From meat) at all. I believe there were 4-5 color dyes listed and all can create problems and are not necessary.
If you can, try to get him on a better food. They cannot be found at discount centers or grocery stores. There are many available.....I think your problem will be solved....However, like Jaybay said, if the itching and scratching has created sores, antibiotics for an infection are a must. Good luck and please let us know......
P.S. Switch foods slowly.....You should see improvement in a few weeks......Fish oil tablets are good for alot of things! All my dogs are on them.....Karla