Dogs Community
Rimadyl & Prednisone in dogs..

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Rimadyl & Prednisone in dogs..

My dog has a potential disc injury in her back.

Last Saturday, she was in a lot of pain. Gave her a Rimadyl and it didn't help. Took her to the emergency vet and they prescribed Tramadol and Robaxin (pain and muscle relaxer). Took her to our normal vet on Monday and he said to continue those meds and also gave her a steroid shot.

She did well throughout the week... still stiff but seemed to improve. Last night, Thursday, she seemed to be in pain again. She wasn't as bad as she had been on Saturday but was walking stiffly and holding her head oddly again.

This morning she seems better - called the vet and he suggested prescribing Prednisone to see if that helped. My questions:

1) I gave Kally a Rimadyl last night at 5:45. Vet was not clear about how long I need to wait to start the steroids -- should I wait 24 hours since her last Rimadyl (meaning 6pm tonight?) or 48 hours? Or is it ok to go ahead?

2 Basically any experiences with this would be helpful. Vet tech said on the phone that if Prednisone didn't help we would need to look at a specialist and surgery. I've read that surgery isn't advised unless the dog really can't walk??

Thanks for your help. We live in a small town and our vet is "okay" but I don't feel he is super invested. I couldn't even get him on the phone and had to pass all my info through the vet tech.

Thanks again for any help!!!!
No this is no good. The vet SHOULD know how long you have to wait after giving Rimadyl to start the steroids! You shouldn't even need to have to come on here to ask!

I wish I could help you, but I don't know for sure. But certainly a good vet should know!

Please call another vet a.s.a.p.
STOP!!!!!!! Rimadyl & Pred. CANNOT be given together....It's dangerous....I'm surprised that the Vet gave your dog the steroid injection when he knew your dog was taking Rimadyl.....That should not have happened!

However, your girl was feeling alittle better BECAUSE of the Steroid injection......

The Rimadyl has a wash out phase of 3 days......Then you can start the Pred. In the meantime, the Tramadol can still be safely given.....It is specifically just for pain.....

Prednisone is the first line of defense for these kinds of injuries....What breed & age is your girl?

This disease is labeled IVDD (Intervertebral Disc Disease). Your dog should be under complete cage rest and SHOULD NOT be walking around....That means only carried out to potty & then brought back in and put into a crate....The length of confinement should last at least 4-6 weeks in order for the disk to have time to heal.....If the disk/disc ruptures, you are looking at paralysis and emergency surgery is required.....What your trying to do is keep this from happening.....Thus, the complete cage rest with nothing else.....

Please, google IVDD and read up on it.....I hope she gets better & let me know if you have any other questions.....I HAVE a dog with IVDD....He HAS been paralysed & had the Emergency Surgery....(On a Christmas Eve of all times!)   ;(   That was over 3 years ago...He receives Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs for his pain management......This has been a life saver for him!!   Good luck & keep us updated.......Karla

P.S. Welcome to the forum!!!!!!
I could have been the 1 writing about your dog neverpromised, except he thought that the disk giving Rita the problem was in her neck...  the same thing happened to my Rita weekend before last  and we've been on rimadyl this past week and yesterday he switched her to prednisone.  she had her last pill of the rimadyl  at 1030 the morning of the 24th. the vet told me to wait 12 hours before giving her the prednisone, but he wasn't convincing when he told me so I came to the internet to find out how long to wait now I don't know what to do if she has to go another 2 days without any kind of pain medication.  any suggestions missfits4me?
Hello Rita's Mom & welcome......You need to call your Vet and ask for a few days worth of Tramadol....It is specifically for pain & will do nothing as an Anti-inflammatory.....The Pred. will be the Anti-inflammatory.....Both of these can be mixed, safely......Good luck and let us know how she's doing.....Karla

My 7 year old choc lab male 37kg has suddenly struggled to walk as long as normal.  Been to vets had xrays and has slight hip dysplasia at back and a bad front paw.  Also now saying spondylosis of the spine.  He had been on previcox until spondylosis diagnosed with not much improvement at all.  He was shaking, couldnt put his feet on the floor, not wanting to try and do anything.  Been given 2 tabs 25mg prednisone a day for the last 7 days and on 7th day was like his old self.  Took him to vets and pulled on lead in surgery to try and get to a *****.  Vet said great improvement and to reduce dose to 1 day, yesterday he weed on kitchen floor.  Never ever has he done anything in the house.  Today sunday he cant walk outside so hubby carrying him.  I've upped the dose again and will ring the vet tomorrow and see what she says but wanted to know if anyone has had anything similar to this with their dog and was there a good outcome.  feel sick with worry...Many thanks in anticipation for any replys
Hello Frankie....If this is indeed a Disc injury, your dog should not be walking around on it's own.....Complete cage rest is Vital for weeks to let the disk heal......That information is posted above in this thread......

Read everything you can on IVDD (Above)....Yes, this can be reversed, but you must do it correctly.......Steroids are the first line of defense, but you also need PAIN medication along with them.......Shaking is a sign of pain......

Also, the side effects of Steroids is frequent thirst & urination...Thus, the accident in the floor....Very common......

It doesn't sound like your Vet is exactly sure of a diagnoses, so that may be a problem.....Did anything show up on the xray? Disc problems are almost impossible to see on an xray........Good luck & let us know how he's doing........Karla

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.  The xray was showing what the vet thought was a slipped disc but previously she had us ref'd to a orthorpedic surgeon for xrays on legs and we werent happy with him but she asked him to look at her xrays and he said not a slipped disc but spondylosis.  She now said today on the phone to put him back on full meds but doesnt know why his front paw his hurting so much when the xray showed a bit of arthritis in paw & shoulder, she thinks he may have a nerve from the spine effecting the paw.  I'm giving it a couple of weeks and then will see another vet for a second opinion.  Hes making into the garden for wees tonight and couldnt do that yesterday so needs the pain killers.  Not sure how long she will let him have the steriod for though..Thanks again
My dog just died with Rimadyl.  He bled to death.  Took him for treatment of a swollen sore joint.  Prescribed Carprofen and tramadol.  He was ill from the beginning and getting worse by the day.  Bled from mouth, nose and his stool was digested blood.  This was my clown, my goof ball and my love.  I killed him by insisting he take his anti-infammatories.  He died a horrible,painful death by my hand.  
hi I have a question my dog took a shot of rimadyl and she has pups she wont stop crying for them ..will it be harmful to let her back wither pup an how long does rimadyl get out of the system
I know your post was about a year and a half ago but if you are anything like me - you are still grieving for the loss of your dog.  I see that you felt you may have caused the loss because of the meds.  There's probably nothing that can make you feel any better about the loss but I would like to offer that it was not the meds and that you were so very kind and mothering to give the meds to try and help. We make the best decision we can based on what we know and what information we get.  Maybe there was more wrong internally that you did not know about yet.  Well, I hope this brings some level of comfort for you.  Your dog was lucky to have had you for a mom :)  ***@****
Are you still out there? I need some info, my dog was given rimadyl for suspected back pain, then 2 days after being on rimadyl for 6 days, she was given prednisone, I would REALLY like to talk with you about this, if you get this can you PLEASE email me at ***@****