Dogs Community
Seizures - late onset

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Seizures - late onset

I have a 12 year old female Rottweiler who started having seizures last week. She had one Sunday night, one Tuesday afternoon then 5 on Wednesday. She had no seizures since late Wednesday night. Took her to my vet Thursday; blood test came back normal except for high levels of  triglycerides. My baby got phenobarbital to control the seizures which I started giving her Friday morning. The vet said that she probably has some central nervous system problem or maybe a brain tumor. I noticed that since the seizures she is frequently losing her balance and her back legs buckle under her often. What can I do to help my baby girl?
Check out the extensive posts on this thread about seizures and Phenobarbital.  You are far from alone!

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dogs/Phenobarbital-side-effects--how-long/show/1525013
Seizures can cause neurological disorders, especially if they are long lasting or very frequent.  You did the right and best thing you could by getting her to the vet as soon as you could.  You now have the medication necessary to keep her from seizing again.  She may, over an unknown amount of time, regain control over her back legs.  And she may not.  The brain is a complicated organ, and there is much we don't understand about it, especially when it comes to any sort of brain damage.  Sometimes it will heal itself, sometimes it won't.  There is simply no way to know.  I suggest that for as long as your furbaby has not much control over her back legs, that her safety be taken into consideration whenever you do anything that involves her.  This means that since her balance is poor, do not allow her access to stairs or other 'heights' without direct supervision.  She should be supervised outside as well.  And if you must leave her home alone, confine her to one room in which there is nothing she can hurt herself on.  And, lastly, watch for 'break-through seizures'.  These happen when the medication levels in her body are too low.  Always tell your vet when she has one of these.  Blessings to you and your furbaby - Blu
Thank you so much for the link. It means a lot to know that others had experienced the same issues and I feel a lot better. I really didn't know whether it was the medication or something else and I felt so helpless! I was going to call my vet anyway but I will surely speak with him tomorrow about possibly lowering the dosage. Again, Thank you! Love from Kyra, my baby girl!
Thanks for your quick reply. Since I posted my question I spoke with my vet and we decreased the dose of phenobarbital. It took about 4 days but my baby girl is walking more steady and shows more interest in things. I will take her to a specialist to try to find out what caused the seizures but for now I am just happy she feels better.
Hello, curious about what kind of specialist.  I just posted almost the same problem.  My 8 year old lab started with seizures, just 3 within an 18 hour period, no messing himself so I'm calling it "mini" Vet put him on the phenobarbital and says he is on it for life!  He did loose and hind end a little and eats like a race horse!  My sisters dogs have each had a few over the years and her vet did nothing?  Very confused!!!
My vet said that when seizures start this late in life they usually mean some central nervous system problem or brain tumor. So he suggested to go to a neurologist, maybe get a CAT scan or spinal tap. Right now I am just happy that she is almost back to normal and no seizures. We'll deal with the rest later.