Seizures in my Boxer
My elderly boxer has begun to have "grand mal" seizures. Our Vet wants to have an ultra sound done on her heart as a first step. I have never of heart problems as a cause of seizures. Comments would be appreciated.
I think that's a reasonable start.  Seizures can crop up for a tremendous variety of reasons, one being decreased oxygen to the brain.  It appears your vet wants to make sure that your boxer's heart and circulatory system are doing their job in getting oxygenated blood to the rest of the body.  If everything else is OK, you can then start treating the seizures with medication.  Phenobarbitol is a common, inexpensive medication to begin with, and does a pretty good job of at least keeping seizures to a minimum and of less severity.  Your vet just wants to make sure he doesn't give your dog something that will make him worse.  If he has an underlying heart condition, then he'll probably have to use a different med.
Yes have your boxer checked out! we just lost our best boxer we ever had due to a seizure! She was fine my husband let her in after being out side for a few and she had a seizure and we brought her to the emergency vet and she died....we were devastated! it was awful to see this also ecpecially when we couldnt stop her from having the seizure! we are stll not over it..
We just had to put down our beautiful, 8 yr. old boxer, Samson...he had never been sick, ever - and one morning he started "seizing" - full gran maul seizures for an hour before we could get him to the vet...his fever rose to 108, and he suffered brain damage due to the severity of the seizures, and the fever that ensued due to the non-stop seizing.  The next day, we knew our boxer was gone...he was still physically there, but he didn't even know us, had partial paralysis, and non-stop twitching and drooling.  To put it mildly, we are devastated and heartbroken.  Please allow your doctor to do whatever tests are necessary to prevent your precious boxer from having more seizures.  And here is an important tip - if your boxer should seize again, please keep her cool with damp towels, and rubbing alcohol on her paw pads...get her to the vet quick - that fever killed our dog - he had no infection, the fever came as a result of the trauma on his body from seizing non-stop.  God bless you and your boxer with health and more time to live and love together.