Dogs Community
Seperation Anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Seperation Anxiety

I got four beautiful dashounds, but going out is a problem.. The oldest crys non stop until we get home. If am gone for hours, time we get home he has no voice.. I hired a dog trainer but nothing is working.. What else can I do? Another thing, they barks at everyone and everything that passes by.. Those are the only problems am having,  They are very , very spoil, they sleep with us on the bed , got full run of the house, although it is not big..Need help

Patricia
Hi Patricia.  I'm a bit surprised you have this problem with on dog when there are 3 others there at home.  It also seems, as you say, they are very spoiled.  :-)  Maybe they have become too attached to you.  I will copy a link here that gives good advice that will save me from typing it all here.  You need to work on reconditioning the dog to get used to you not being there whether it be 2 mins or 2 hours.  That link (and you can search others on separation anxiety to get some ideas) will explain that process more.  Have you tried a Kong toy stuffed with treats? This worked well for my son's dog that was having issues when he left.  One of the Greyhounds I had here suffered from SA but I started using a crate as he was being destructive.  Over time, and some patience and work, I was able to leave him loose in the house.  Of course, your situation is a bit different and I doubt your dogs are crate trained.  As for the barking, can they see outside or are they barking at noises they hear?  I would try to block a window if they are able to have access to it.  You might try leaving a radio or tv on when you are gone.  I really believe in basic obedience training and I think that article mentions it. Teaching your dog to sit/stay or down/stay makes his mind work and you can use those commands and rewards, ie, putting the dog in a down/stay, leaving the room briefly (extending those times) and returning then reward.
Here is the link.  This will take time and patience.
http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/1/separation-anxiety-in-dogs-how-to-treat-it/
Hi Margot

Thanks for replying.. I have tired the Kong, tried toys , treats etc etc..He do not play with toys when we leave..Chandler was the only dog for a year, not sure if that is the reason he acts up. One year after Monica came along. Monica then had two pups for Chandler, Pheobe and Joey.. Yeah , I know friends...ha... All the three dogs play well together but Chandler is a loner, he stayes mostly by himself, no trouble at all when we are home .. Once we are out that is when he acts up. I will looking into the site you sent me.. thanks.. Any other suggestions , please write to me

Pat