Shih Tzu Seizure
My dog passed away 7-01-13 of what I think was a seizure. My boyfriend took her on her morning walk with our other dog. She was barking at a dog walking by; which isn't unusual for her to do. Then, she fell to the ground and stopped breathing. She was gone immediately.
She was six years old and in good health. I had her spayed this march, blood work was done first and it came back normal. She seen the vet 5 days prior to her passing just for a bordatella shot because she was going to stay at a pet hotel while we went on a short trip in a few weeks.
When she was a puppy she was diagnosed with a breathing problem. I can't remember what my vet called it but said that it could be correct easily by a surgery to widen her nose passages once she was old enough for surgery (6 months old). At 6 months she was check and the vet seen she out grew the breathing condition and surgery wasn't needed. But I did mention it to her new vet also at each check up and they said she grew out of it and it was fine.
When she was 1 and a half years old she was attacked by a large dog and she lost her eye as a result. She had surgery after and healed up fine.
Other than those two issues more than 5 years ago she has been in perfect health. I know she didn't get into anything toxic we watch her very closely. What could have caused this?
I used to work for a vet.  This sounds like a heart-attack to me.  A seizure would not have been instantaneous death like that.  But when the heart stops...  I'm so sorry fo the loss of your furbaby.  Blessings - Blu
Would any indicators she was at risk of a seizure or heart-attack show in blood work?
My best guess is the seizure. If it puts your mind to rest, seizures sometimes do kill. And, it sure seems to me that you're a very responsible owner. There's nothing that you could do if the seizure is what got her. So, don't beat yourself up. It really sounds like you were on top of everything. I am so very sorry for your loss. My dogs are my life, and I have been a groomer for years, so I have seen this before. Good luck, and God bless.