Dogs Community
Sick Puppy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Sick Puppy

My dog recently broke out in sores like open wounds , I took him to the vet and they say he had a severe allergic reaction to something. He was placed on steroids and antiboitics for the past 12 days now.  He is still had a whole lot better,  His red blood count is down, His white blood count is going up higher each visit.  Any suggestions to what is wrong with him
A decreased red blood cell count is a symptom of anemia and an increased white blood cell count is a sign of an infection.

Where on the body are the sores located?  What brand of food are you feeding him?  Is it a grocery store brand that contains a lot of grain?

A decreased red cell count can also mean kidney failure because the kidneys produce a hormone that encourages the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow.  When kidney failure is present, this hormone is not being produced and anemia results.  Of course, there are other causes for anemia, such as eating foods that contain substances that kill the red blood cells.  This type of anemia is called a Heinz body anemia and it's caused by a substance found in onions and other members of the lily or allium family.  Has your vet given you any clue as to what could be causing the anemia?

Ghilly
The sores are located on the side of his body.  My dog is a Bichon Frise the food he mostly eats are Little Ceasar and the dry food is Kibbles and Bits. The vet still says he had a allergic reaction to something the only different thing he has was I used the product Plaque Attack on his teeth.  The plaque attack is 100 percent natural ingredients.  But who knows.  He is off to the vet again this morning to see if his blood is improved.  He is currently taking 3 antibiotics daily and 2 predisone .  Any more suggestions would be helpful  tks
Had my baby to the vet yesterday and now he is constantly sneezing rapidly still anemia.  The vet now is going to bispsy his sores for cancer.  I have a very sick little boy
Sending you warm hugs and my kids are sending wet kisses! My two have also been having health problems lately, which I suspect is from their food change. I can't seem to find something that they will eat AND will settle their digestive systems.

We love our babies, don't we? Best of luck to you. Hope your little boy gets well soon.
Max & Mabi's Mom