I have a 1yr 5mth old pit/lab mix. He has been sick since Thursday throwing up foam and then started throwing up dark mustard brown color (assuming bile). He hasn't eaten or really had much to drink since Thursday. He is weak and not active and when laying down his breathing seems very shallow, and i know that his low activity is due to him not eating. I took him to the vet and they did blood work and his white blood count was high (24,000).. normal is 17,000. The rest of his labs were normal. They checked his pancreas and that was normal also. They gave him a shot of antibiotics and some meds (antacids for dogs), But i still can't get him to eat or drink anything.. all he wants to do is sleep. I am so afraid he is dying... Does anyone have any clue what may be going on with my dog. I am so worried about him. He is like my child! Help me! I can't lose my baby! He is my baby!
Sweetie, you need to get your puppy hydrated. Our vet gave us IV bags (with lactated ringers) The IV bags will help him with hydration. You put the needle in the scruff of the neck. It's not hard until they start feeling better and start fighting. We almost lost one dog because she ate a beenie baby. She couldn't keep anything down and we thought she was a goner. For tonight, if you can't get them to give you the IV bag, take a medicine syringe and give just sips of pedialite. ONLY SIPS at a time. This might get you through tonite. If you can, get him to the ER vet to get the bags.
Were they able to give you any kind of diagnosis? If not, if I were you, I would take him to another vet for a second opinion. How long has it been since he got the antibiotic shot? You should have seen SOME kind of improvement in a day or two following the shot. If you haven't seen any improvement at all, I would be after a second opinion to get a diagnosis.
Definitely agree with Ghilly. Were any x-rays or anything done? Kidney/liver function tests done?
I would definitely be going to another Vet for a second opinion and ASAP. Hope this will all turn out well. So sorry.
well according to his vet he isn't dehydrated.. so he must be drinking when i don't see him. Because i leave his water out 24/7, so he can go get water freely and it is a very large bowl of water so if he does drink out of it i may not be aware of the water level going down.
Ghilly, He received the antibiotic shot on Sunday about 4pm. They said some kind of a virus, and that the antibiotic should help him improve. If that didn't that i needed to bring him back to have an xray to make sure he didn't ingest something. But the vet felt all on his stomach and in that area to see if she could feel anything at all.. no tenderness, no pain, at all. He didn't even flinch.
I don';t know, that makes me really want to get a second opinion, because if it really IS viral, antibiotics will not help. A virus has to have a host cell to live in, while a bacteria is a living creature that can live independently anywhere in or on the body. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, so if they think it's a virus, I don't know why they would think an antibiotic would make it better?
lift up the skin on his neck. If it goes down fast he's not dehydrated. If it goes down slow he is or he is getting dehydrated. Keep in mind, dehydration can happen quickly at times. Also, look at his gums. Are they bright pink or pale. I agree with Ghilly. Usually, if it's a virus, if they give antibiotics it's to help prevent secondary infections. Keep us posted. I'll check again at lunch. Your baby is in my prayers. Furchildren are just as worrysome as flesh children
i checked and the skin on his neck goes down good... and his gums are bright pink.... my husband is trying to get him to play right now and he is playing so maybe this is a good sign... he is barking and jumping and running.. so maybe things are looking up!! Yes he is just as much my baby in my eyes as my kids are... :-)
Ok. i took him back to the Vet today for a check up and he lost 4 lbs since sunday and they did an xray and he has something inside him and they aren't sure what it is.... they want to do surgery tomorrow morning!!!! PLEASE PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poor little guy!!! I am SO hoping that everything goes smoothly and that it turns out to be something minor that the surgery corrects once and for all, and that he recovers uneventfully and quickly! I cannot wait to hear from you tomorrow with an update!
UPDATE***** bruizer is out of surgery and just waking up. Dr mc said it looks like a bone about a inch and a half long was lodged in his intestines. And she had to remove 4 inches of his intestines bc they were infected. He has to stay in the hospital 2-3 days to recover, dr mc wants to make sure he is eating and drinking and he also poops before he comes home. I can go see him whenever I want while he is in the hospital!! Thank goodness he is going to be alright!!! My baby is going to be ok!!!! Yay!!! Momma is happy!!! Happy tears are flowing!!!! :-). ♥ my bruizer!
oh i am too!!!!! you have no idea how many tears i have shed in the last 4 days! Dr Mc called me today to let me know that he was wakin up and everything else about what went on and the moment i got off the phone all i could do was cry!!! i mean they were happy tears but still...
Thank goodness he is OK!
And here's hoping he will recover totally well and fast, and be back to his normal self quite soon.
I remember when mine went in for Pyometra surgery last year, I couldn't sleep, I had trouble eating, all I could do is walk most of the night! I must have covered MILES! It was the sweetest thing when I went to pick her up, and she was led out by one of the vet techs, with her lampshade collar on, and trying to wag at me! My heart did a back-flip!
Anyway, this just goes to show what bad news bones ARE for dogs! Raw or cooked, big chunks can still cause a blockage.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.
We're in the process of updating our system during which our trackers and health tools will not be available. We are doing our best to finish this update quickly. They should become available by 6:00 p.m. PST