Sick puppy
I recently adopted a puppy from the pound. She has had her first set of shots and the shot for the "kennel cough" but she still contracted the bacteria for it and  is hacking continuous so I took her to the vet. The vet gave me an antibiotic for her. I have been giving it to her as instructed for a week now. The hacking hasn't changed and sometimes even seems worse so I called the vet they gave her some coughing pills. She has been taking those for a couple of days now also with continuing the antibiotics. She still doesn't seem to be doing any better and she isn't getting a lot of sleep since she has these coughing / hacking spells often. What else can I do to help my puppy ?
I have never had to deal with kennel cough but know people that have.  You should notice some improvement in a week.  I think it can last 3-6 weeks in a puppy.  Keep it away from other dogs.  Try running a humidifier in the area it is in.  Any eye or nose discharge? Any diarrhea?  Is the puppy eating and drinking?  If the symptoms get no better or get worse, I would worry about possible pneumonia.  Ask the Vet how often he has seen and treated this.  Maybe a different antibiotic is needed.
Hope you see improvement soon!