Dogs Community
Spinal Injury

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Spinal Injury

My dog compressed his spine 4 days ago and can only move his front paws he is on steriods but they are not helping he hasn't pooped in 4 days cause he can't stand any advise..  He is going in for acpunture in 2 days will this help.....
It does depend on what injuries or conditions caused the spinal compression in the first place. What does your vet say about the prognosis? It depends on how much damage has been done to the spinal cord. It may heal and recover, or it may be very severely damaged.....You really do need advice from the vet.
I haven't any experience of giving a dog an enema, but I do believe it can be done, and would definitely make him feel better especially if he has been eating, then something has to come out the other end. But obviously, if he has actually lost the nervous response, (and it may not just be a question of him not being able to stand to poop, it may be he can't actually use the muscles...) -then the long term outlook is different of course.
It all really does depend on whether in the vet's (or specialist's) opinion this compression is going to get better with rest and time. You do need to know that.
Or if it is caused by a disc misplacement or bone spur which may be operable? And then, is there any hope the nerves will regain their function?

Acupuncture can be very helpful for dogs for many conditions, including arthritis pain. But if his problem is severely mechanical in its nature, then acupuncture may not give the result you need.
However, I can't see it doing any harm. You could try it.

I would definitely advise not moving him around at all. Of course get advice from the vet about this, but taking him anywhere I am sure is a bad idea. If you get a veterinary  acupuncturist, try to get a home visit.