Dogs Community
Strange symptoms...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Strange symptoms...

I am the momma of a 6yr old female Chihuahua...She was surrendered to me for apparently bitting the original owners child, but since she loves kids and we have never had an issue with bitting, I now feel that it was simply due to her "high maintenance" everything!! We are now her third owner and the poor thing has been through so mush and shifted around

She has allergies to poultry and wheat, ear infections,itchy skin ( to the point where she will scratch her fur right out) sneezes, watery eyes. After many food trials, I give her a grain free, salmon and potatoe diet as well as 1mg per pound of Benadryl every 8 hours, and only has some sweet potatoe as a treat....Not such a big deal.

Lately she has been urnating more frequently, but not drinking excessively... and she just started deficating in the house but, not on her pad (very unusual) and is soo embarrased by it...She seems fatigued, not interested in playing, walking around the house in almost a daze. She has been more distant recently as well, almost depressed.. just not herself... Also, when she sleeps I noticed that when she is on her side, all four legs are straight and very stiff, almost like she is not relaxed. She also seems to be hungry all the time..

She recently has an odour (like old dirty dog) but I bathe her every 3-5 days due to her itchy skin...(special shampoo)

I was starting to think that she could have cushings, but she is not over weight.. I am not too sure what is happening, but I thought would post the question as to what it could be here, becuase my friends seem to think I would sound nuts taking her back to my DVM saying I think she is depressed or has cushings. They seem to think I may be a hypocondriac where she is concerned.

Any comments would be appreciated!!
Poor little thing!

Please do take her for a full blood-panel analysis. Take some fresh urine (that morning) with you too, to the appointment.
I do not think you're over-reacting, or a neurotic "dog-mom". I think you can tell she is not herself, and so the best thing to do is get to the bottom of this problem, and get her tested.
I hope she will be OK
It sounds like you are doing many of the "right" things, and I hope your special shampoo is a dog shampoo specifically for treatment of Yeast, bacterial skin problems.  The smell speaks to the likelihood of Yeast.  

Side issue, it appears the "6" for your dog's age also got ported to the age shown for you, in your profile.  You may want to correct that.

Our Westie has many of the same problems with skin, ears, paws... and he has been treated by the vet for some infections in the ears and skin.  Still, he requires special diet, we try to feed him mostly sweet potato/fish kibble that is grain free (states grain free in bold print on the bag).  It is also best it the food claims there are no unlisted ingredients, some will say "limited ingredients".

None of the about disputes "ginger" do get a full check-up with the vet and taking samples will expedite the process - may also save a visit and extra expense.

Good luck, and thank you for giving the pup a home, and love.