Dogs Community
Strep Test for Dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Strep Test for Dog

I need to get my dog (Rat Terrier) tested for Strep.
She hasn't been sick, that I know of, but my 11 year old son has been recently diagnosed with Rheumatic Fever (which is an inflammatory infection resultant from Strep)- yes I know, EXTREMELY rare (3% or less of pop. in US) and cardiologist says entire family needs to be tested INCLUDING dog, as they can carry.
My vet, any vet in my area seems to either not be capable(willing?) of doing this, or thinks it's nonsense.
So, IS IT NONSENSE?  If not, can you help me find a way to test her?
I'm failure sure it IS very rare for dogs to get, and pass on, strep.  However, I certainly understand your urgency in wanting to get it done.  If you aren't getting anywhere with your own vet, just try calling some other ones.  You'll probably have better luck with a major university practice, or even a large ER vet practice if one is in your area.  
Why can't we edit on this board?!!  LOL!  That first sentence should read, "I'm FAIRLY sure..."    :-)
I have a friend who got a black lab mix 9 wks old for her son.  The dog started throwing up and the son said it looks like worms.  They took the dog in and they said besides worms he had strep throat.  I have never heard of this, but the vet said dogs can get this and pass it on to us humans.  My friend said she was getting a sore throat from this.