Dogs Community
Sudden Death of "Healthy" Dog...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Sudden Death of "Healthy" Dog...

This is similar to other posts but slightly detailed so I'll post it:  Two weeks ago the day after Xmas, I came home and my 12yo Shepherd/mix was fine.  She was at least outwardly, a perfectly healthy and energetic dog for her age, and passed her yearly exam only two months earlier.

She went out and used the bathroom normally and came to the back door acting normally.  Then, I saw her lay upright on the ground and start a very very slow, deep, breathing.  She was not choking.  She would not drink water or look directly at me.  She then tried to stand and wobbled up, very unsteady, took a few steps, and her bowels emptied a large amount of stool (not watery, normal), onto the ground.  She walked a few feet more, laid down, rolled over, and breathed the deep, slow, heavy breathing for 3-4 minutes, and then, she died.  She did not seem to be in any apparent pain or panic/distress during the entire thing.  Once she passed, she was just staring forward, and her tongue was "twisted" slightly and hanging out.

We're devastated, as this was completely unexpected and sudden.  Now, on one board I saw one vet say that other vets that say it's a heart attack are "lazy", and that nothing can be even remotely concluded unless a necropsy is done - and even then maybe nothing will be known.   I find it hard to believe with decades of modern veterinary medicine behind us now, that there are no semi-conclusive answers out there since this is happening to quite a few people (?).   I realize without a necropsy there's no way to know 100%, but with the description I gave is it "reasonably safe" to assume this was some sort of sudden and powerful cardiac event, or, does it sound more like a stroke?    Thank you
I don't have any knowledge of what could have happened to your dog, but would like to say I'm sorry to hear of her death.  My dog is also twelve, and at the vet last week I read on a chart that she is beyond being a senior, she is in the geriatric stage, which yours would have been too.  Its hard to believe their that old, you can at the very least be comforted that she didn't have a disease that you would have to watch her suffer with, or have to euthanize her.
I am so sorry to hear of your dog's death. The one comfort was that you were there with her when she passed. On some level, no matter how 'out of it' she was, she would know that.

A necropsy is the only way you could know for sure what she died of, but my thoughts on that are, let her be at rest. There's a time and a place for a necropsy, but it might be something you don't want to go through right now.

My condolences to you, and I hope you are coping with this, because it did come as such a shock. It is a very hard thing for you.
Thank you for your comments.   Actually, no, I'm not doing very well with this to be honest.   Lucy was long ago by a trainer determined to be a "prodigy dog", meaning, one that leans certain things almost instantly by observation.  The slang many use would be a "Lassie dog" type of dog.  On her own, simply by watching people over time, she learned how to open doors when she wanted to go from room to room, turn on the TV (yes, really), and communicate with people via a series of elaborate actions that were like a language.  Not to belittle my other two remaining dogs, but they are "dogs", and Lucy was more like a little human with extra hair and legs.  Even people who were not typically dog people would come to my house and spend time around her and say things like, "Wow, she is so cool, I'd own a dog if I could have one like her!".

So while losing a pet is a very hard thing for folks, when you are one of those lucky 1-in-100,000 or so people to actually find and adopt a "prodigy dog", it hits especially extra hard (this is not at ALL to belittle those who have lost any other pet - I'm just saying of all I've ever had, she was just an exceptionally hard loss for me).

I know there are no defined answers here without the necropsy.  She's buried in the back yard now and there's no way to do it now anyway, plus I simply could not afford the costs of up to $900 quoted to me here for that and cremation, etc.   I know that at least it was a "natural" death and not a result of anything we or anyone else did to her, and for that it's a comfort of sorts, but I guess I'm still in a search to at least narrow down the "most likely" cause of it.    Right now, I'm just trying to make it through one day where I can go more than 30 minutes without thinking about it, two weeks later.

Judging from what you have said in my opinion it does sound more like a heart issue.I am truly so sorry for you losing your baby .I lost my little girl Peke 6 months ago and i still cry everyday.She was only 7 years old and in perfect health and my vet ruled it as Cardiac even though like your little girl she was fine before that.I have tried for months now to really understand why i lost her .But i am still at a loss can no one can truly explain a definite reason of how it suddenly appeared and why there where no previous signs.She was getting her nails done and then she was gone.Did Lucy have any health issues at all?And what about heart worm and flea preventive.Was there anything odd about her behavior other than what you described within those few mins?I will keep you in my prayers.May God Bless You.
                                                                 Chan
chasha33,

No - she did not show signs of illness beforehand.   She had her yearly checkup two months prior, and the Vet even commented on how very strong and healthy she was for a 12 year old dog.  Of course, I know, without MRIs or Xrays you don't see what might be lurking on the inside that may become a serious problem, but at least outwardly, she had been showing no signs of having illnesses or complications before this happened.

Even when we got home that day, initially she acted like her normal excited to see us energetic self.  She went outside and used the bathroom with the other two dogs just fine - but within a couple of minutes the attack or whatever it was began.  She was not choking or anything like that.  I actually thought at first she was having an epileptic seizure as the first signs of it seemed like that (my 3rd dog has those so I know what those are like when you see them).  While Lucy didn't have epilepsy, dogs have been known to develop it later in life, so I thought that was it, until I saw her stagger into the middle of the yard and just collapse.  Then I knew deep down I think, it was much more serious - but I didn't accept it, and kept trying to reach emergency vets on the phone to see if they could tell me what to do (they could or would not).

I'm kicking myself for not just getting off the phone and running out there and just being with her the last minutes of her life.  But at least my roommate who she's known a long time and cares about too was out there with her while this was happening, so she did not pass alone in the yard.  Still, it should have been me.   I know I'll never know 100%% for sure what happened, but it's just the sheer suddenness of it all, and her seeming so healthy, that still has me in a state of shock.  My other two dogs are up in years and they are not in great health - if this had happened to either one of them we would be grieving, but we expect it due to their health issues - but this was a completely unexpected thing with this particular dog, who I fully expected to live another 2-3 years (at least) the way she looked/acted.  

And yes, they always got their heartworm meds and all of that every month on time, and ate premium dog food that had no fillers or foreign fluff fill agents in it, and had Glucosamine in it, too.  
Things like this leave us baffled and shocked, and don't seem to make sense. My other dog was strong and fit for his age (14) he enjoyed exercise, play, ate well, had no health issues. Then all of a sudden he started showing pain, and had prostate cancer diagnosed. He lived 10 days after that. I had time to adjust, and face it, but it was still such a shock because he seemed in perfect health for his age.

The dog I have now is 12. She is well and fit, everything fine. Her senior bloodwork (done in August) was all normal and the vet said she's in really good shape.
But every day I know is a gift from God, and at any time, any of us can be taken.....
"There, but for the Grace of God, go we"....(including our fur-families)
Things, and those we love, can be snatched away from us without even a moment's notice. Life is cruel.
Someone passed on a phrase to me today .....

"The depth of your love, will equal the depth of your grief".

Oh - swell.  At least I know I realllllly loved this dog, 'cause if I could afford it, I'd already be on a shrink's sofa by now!
I wish there was something that i could say or do for you,I really can understand what you are going through though.When i took my little girl Chloe and her brother in that day to have there nails done,I never would have thought that i would be leaving there that day with her gone.Her brother is 7 years old as well and he has some special little issues.Kind of like how you describe your other 2 babies. It was just to hard to imagine that her being in perfect health that she would go that way,I still cry everyday and it has been 6 months.I have tried to understand what went wrong,But no one can give me a definate answer.My vet said it was her heart,But i wonder if that is just a way of him trying to help me deal better with all this.Please try not to blame yourself or beat yourself up with the What If"s and If only's.I have been doing that to myself every since i lost her and believe me it is a terrible feeling.As far as you being on the phone when she passed away,You were trying to help her and she knew that.There is not a doubt in my mind that she knew how much you loved her.Just from the way you speak of her ,I can tell she was one lucky little girl to have you.The reason why i asked you about Heartworm preventive and frontline is because there had been some problems with some newer meds and i was just wondering if you had made any recent changes?If you ever need to talk i am here.I will keep you in my prayers.     May God Bless You,Chan
One more thing,They did take a small piece of Chloe's heart and sent it off and it came back showing that she had had a previous heartattack.But i was told that it wouldnt show if she had one when we lost her.And as you had previously said some vets say that using that term for dogs is just other vets being lazy and then some say that it is possible.But extremly rare.So it is very hard to say one way or the other.Cause if your baby passed away due to her heart it wouldnt show any scarring unless she had a previous episode.I know that this is not alot of help for you,But i just wanted to share with you the info that i have been given.
thanks for your comments.
Though I am crying as I write this, your post was very comforting to me. Just 2 days ago, my shepherd-husky mix Emmy (10 yr.5 mo.old) died exactly as you described.  Same story of being extremely healthy, active, up to date on all meds, etc.  As soon as she collapsed, we rushed her to the Animal Emergency Hospital, but she was gone by the time we arrived.  We also did not choose to do a necropsy and were told that it may have been a "heart-related event".  She was a very intelligent, loyal dog who spent more day-to-day time with me than anyone else in my family.  My grief (as yours) is overwhelming and every small detail of my day-to-day routine reminds me of her and adds to my emptiness and sense of loss.  I hope each day that you feel a little better able to cope.  Please comment with an update. Thanks. Sara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhagic_gastroenteritis
HGE killed my dog.
My dog died in three hours.  A dachshund/beagle mix named Ginger.
She threw up 1AM then began urinating and defecating diarrhea with dark blood. While I was trying to locate a 24 hour vet in this back water (Bluffton, SC) she then begun to hemorrhage bright red blood and passed away on the way to the VET.
Note: She had a bit of diarrhea earlier in day but no sign of blood – I know as I used white paper towels to pick it up – no blood.  
I am writing to warn all pet owners of this disease HGE.  Learn about it.
4 days ago my Pit mix was a strong healthy and happy 9month old puppy. After coming in from playing she refused to eat. She only wanted to drink water after the first two days. In a matter of 4 days she lost a considerable amount of weight barely moved onlyl drank a small amount of water. On the fourth day she did not get up at all and she bled profusely from rectom and died. The vet thought it was somethimg called parvo But it turned out to be some kind of poisoning. We won't know for sure until we get the results from the autopsy report. I loved my dog dearly and it cost $236.00 to have her cremated so i could keep her ashes with me always. Ince she was kept on my property at all time God only knows how she got poisoned. Someone had to  come on my property to do thlis.
Ignorant people are under the mis conception that all pits are violent. Mline was'nt. She was the sweetest and most gentle dog i have ever owened. I will never stop missing her. May God have mercy on who ever hurt.
You poor thing! I am so so sorry your girl died like this.
But the first thing I thought when I was reading what you wrote was "Rat or mouse poison"
Now if she caught a mouse while playing, and ate it, you might, or might not even notice! Dogs can get hold of some tiny critter and eat it so quickly, you might not even know if your back was turned. It is just possible this happened, as rats and mice can run everywhere, through peoples fences, yards, property etc.
It may not have been a deliberate poisoning...

I know all Pit bulls are not violent! I knew one a few years ago. (Before they became one of the 'banned breeds' here in Britain) He was a lovely dog, playful and good. And very gentle.

Anyway, I am sorry this happened to her. It's very sad. God bless.
You're absolutely right, pits are the nicest dogs, and always look like their smiling.  I hope you find out that your dog ate a poisoned mouse, like ginger899 suggested, cause it would be a lot easier than knowing someone was sick enough to poison a dog on purpose.  I'm sorry you didn't have many more years with your puppy.
I too feel like I am reading a script. My 10.5 year old German Shepard (from a rescue since she was 18 months) died this morning... we had a great labor day with family.  Then when we were cleanining up at night, she didn't go up stairs... I went down to find her eating grass. She was trying to throw up...
She kept getting up and down for about 20 minutes, she then threw up and went inside ... she fell asleep on her pillow after some stroking, I heard her get up at 4, but lay back down...
I woke at 6:30 and she was dead, puffy, eyes open... she must hae died around 4:00.. no yelping no nothing...
She didn't do anything different from before.. and she was not distended or anything..

It doesn't matter if it was the heart or gut, but it strike so hard.. my best to those who greive tonight..

Linus
Hi Greg I feel I must just put down my thoughts.Its 99% she had a heart attack,because if it is any comfort they do not feel anything at all in fact she would not have even realised  it right from the start.
In another post where someone had lost her dog yesterday I put my experience down in detail.
Its the best way to go for her  so many of us die in great pain dragging on  for such a long time she knew nothing, died happy and content.
I also have a dog like her, he is a Golden retriever 9yrs old who is convinced he is human and acts as such, I also have two other dogs and yes I understand what you are saying.Just think how blessed you are to have had her in your life.
If there is a heaven! you know she will be waiting patiently for you....you were her life and always will be.
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Even though it's been three months, I'm sure you think about her daily.  I lost my beloved Rosie two days ago and it's like a member of the family died.  I can't stop thinking about all the things that she would do and how faithful and good-natured she was.  She died suddenly in the yard around 10:00 at night.  She barked for about 15 seconds and then let out a whimper and just layed down and died.  The whole family is in shock.  She was 8 years old but had the energy of a puppy.  I just happened to go home at lunch that day and then walked her after work, so for that I'm thankful.  I got to have some quality time with her up to the very end.  It still seems so unreal - like I'll go home and she'll be waiting by her food bowl for the next serving.  Memories of her are everywhere.  We had an older cat that we had to put to sleep about five years ago, but this is 100 times harder.  Dogs are just such a presence in your lives when you own one.
My dog recently passed away ... normal one day and dead within 36 hours of any symptom.

You mentioend that you dog had been to the vet within 2 months prior.

Diod he get vaccines and did yougive hi heartworm treatment.

My dog dies fro an illness called Evans Syndrome which is a autoimune illness.  The dogs imune system attacks its own red blood cells and platlets.  A dog can has this illness or something called IMHA or ITP.  There are many triggers that can make the imune system act this way but one of the triggers is thought to be vaccines.  There is consensus among many veterian's that dogs are being over vaccinated.  There are tests that can be done in advance to a dog being given a vaccine to determine if the dogs system is already carrying the required antibodies which we are immunizing the animel for.  This is called checking the Titers.

The shock of my dogs death is still very hard to take along with the change in my lifestyle.  I am planning to get another dog but that will not be for likely another 6 months.  During this time I plan to find a veterinarian whom will do their due diligence during the dogs annual checkup to do bloodwork on the dog to make sure that everything is noral and also to check for titers before putting something unnatural into my pet  I have started my look for a vet who beleives in this and surprisingly there are many vets whom will only follow the old school theory of jabbing the dog with vaccines, checking his ears, eyes, heartbeat  and temperature,  It seems  regular annual checkup just seems to be a money grab rather than a care or concern for the pets health.  
Wouldn't we have the same concern if we went for our physical exam and all our doctor did was take ou blood pressure and jab us with a flu shot and say see you next year.  
I am terribly sorry you lost your dog, and so suddenly. It is very sad.

But well said. I think similar about that annual checkup. I spoke at length to my vet about the Titer test. There is one of the vaccines which doesn't show well on a Titer test -Leptosirosis- so I did decide to have it done ...the others the vet told me, at that particular practice, are done 4-yearly, not every year as I thought.
The Lepto shot I thought was a good call for my dog who is a country dog and in contact with conditions which could put her at risk.
But I understand that even that one CAN have some negative side effects.

However, I agree, that this "Annual Health Check" is not good enough. I think after a certain age -say 7 or 8...a full blood count and urinalysis should be done every year.
I just returned home from a business trip and learned that this very thing had happened 4 days earlier to my seemingly healthy 10-year-old chocolate Lab, Dolores,  who was the light of our lives. My neighbor let her out to potty in the morning, she was frisking around like always, fetching her kong, etc. When he came back to let her inside 15 minutes later, she was lying dead on the patio with her tongue blue and hanging out. My kids kept the news from me until I returned from my trip, knowing I would be a wreck and not wanting to compromise my work.  I am heartbroken and cannot stop crying.  The only small comfort I can take is that she did not suffer and now we will never have to watch her slowly fail and make that other horrible decision about if/when to have a beloved pet euthanized.  It just still feels like it was way to soon.  She came into our lives just a few weeks after my husband died and has been the huge heart that soaked up all my kids' hurts and sorrows along with mine.  I guess after 9 years her job was done and now her beautiful spirit has moved on to show up in another needful place. I am crying as I type this and will no doubt being crying  off and on for a very long time.  I miss you and always will, my Dolores ....
I am so sorry for the loss. My boyfriend and I also just had a similar situation. We had a Shepherd/husky mix and she was beautiful and completely healthy. We woke up and she showed no abnormal signs. Then a few hours later we were laying watching t.v in bed with her and she threw her head back and started a loud crying moan. We've never heard her do this before and after about  20 sec. of her crying she was silent and she wasn't breathing. We tried CPR non stop and finally finding an open Vet (it was a sunday unfortunately) they couldn't revive her. We were devastated and didn't know what else we could have done. Koda was only 8 months old.
I am really sorry to hear about your Koda.
It's always so sad when a beloved dog dies, but especially so when there appear to be no causes that can be understood. And so suddenly too.
You did all you could to try and help her.
I am very very sorry
I am so sorry that Angel had to leave us so unexpectedly. Like that of an angel, she was so beautiful and kind. We will always remember all the fun times we had together. Angel will always be in our hearts.You should take comfort in knowing that you loved her with all your heart and should never blame yourself in any way for her death because as you said, it was her time. Keep her deep inside your heart, but let go of the guilty feelings toward yourself. No one could have cared for her dog as much as you did AND there will never be another dog like Angel!! We thank her for 11 long years of joy not to mention bringing 9 of the cutest puppies into this world! We love you and we will always miss you!
It is so sad and emotional to read these posts about sudden dog death.  I just lost my 11 yr. old boxer mix.  Rocky was just fine in the morning as I let him out before work.  He did his normal duty and came happily back inside.  I returned from work and he did not seem himself, although he still wagged his tail and was happy I was home.  We went outside together to do lawn work.  He mostly rested on the patio as he usually always followed me around outside.  He got progressively worse as the night went on and could not walk well so I picked him up and took him outside around 9 PM.  He could not hold his head up around 2 AM, started very labored breathing around 3 AM and was gone by 4:45 AM.  I did speak with emergency vet around 3 AM and we decided to keep him comfortable and get him into my personal vet at 8 AM that morning.  He seemed in perfect health one moment only to pass less then 24 hrs. later.  He was my best friend, my companion, my shadow, my protector.  I loved him and miss him so much and am thinking about selling my home as everywhere I look I see him.  I chose to have personal creamation and just got his ashes back yesterday.   I hope time will heal all of us who have faced this sudden loss.  It is the most pain I have every felt since my mother passed many years ago.

Craig
So sad indeed to read all this stories of sudden and unexplained deaths. I feel it acutely because my lovely greyhound passed away today very suddenly.  A fit 5 year old, he liked nothing better than walking and running in the woods.  He ran on a little ahead of me whilst I was greeting another dog and chatting to his owner.  We then all walked on expecting to see Mickey round the next bend.  When we didn't, I called him but I had in fact walked past where he laid dead.  The other dog found him.  Less than 5 minutes from fit, lively, bouncy dog to... corpse.  He was an ex-racing greyhound whom we adopted only two years ago and ABSOLUTELY the best dog in the world.  I am missing him dreadfully.  I don't understand what has happened but I guess I'll have to accept it.  He had the best food (fresh raw food), 2 hours' exercise a day, a glossy coat and well-toned muscles and people used to comment on how well and fit he looked.  He was truly a spendid creature... and I can't believe he is gone.
I'm going through this right now too.  Our sweet 12 year old dog Ginger, a small Australian shepherd mix, passed away suddenly two weeks ago.  I let her out to do her thing about 8 pm on Tuesday evening and she seemed fine.  Two hours later when my husband got home from picking up our daughter at the airport for her Christmas break from college, Ginger wouldn't get up to greet her (she always barked hysterically to welcome anyone who came in the door - especially when she hadn't seen them in some time).  She just lied there and cried pitifully because she was so happy to see our daughter but couldn't get up to do it properly.  We tried to coax her up by saying her favorite words: treat, walk, ride - but nothing worked.  She did eventually get up to walk the two feet over to her bed in the living room and then stayed there the remainder of the night.  There was no vomiting, diarrhea, or labored breathing.  My husband felt her over and she never showed any sign that anything hurt when touched.  We decided to take her to the vet in the morning if she didn't seem any better.  My son knocked on the door at 5:15 a.m. and said "You need to come out here."  And there she was, lifeless in the hall, midway between all of our bedroom doors.  She hadn't been gone long and it was to clear to us that she wanted to be near those she loved when she died. I kick myself that I didn't leave the bedroom door open that night.  When Jeff picked her up to move her, we found a small spot of very bloody stool, about the size of a nickel.  That is the only evidence we have of whatever happened to her.  She was such a beautiful, fun loving mutt.  She was perfect for our family and the eleven years we had with her are cherished.  It's been so hard to give her things away.  I cry anew each time someone expresses their condolences.  I'm crying now, but I needed to write this.  I just wish we knew what happened to her.  We buried her in a wild area that she loved near our home, asleep in the cat's bed that she claimed for her own (much to the cat's chagrin) a number of years ago, and wrapped in her favorite sofa throw.  I though losing a pet wouldn't be as hard since I'm so much older now.  I was wrong.
I sorry to hear about Ginger.  I think the older you get the harder is it to lose a pet because you get closer to them.  Your kids get older, and they take their place.  She was in her late seventies, so you did a good job of keeping her healthy and happy.  Try to find some peace in knowing she didn't suffer, and that you gave her a great life, which by reading your post, it is obvious.  Take Care.
Life is so fragile.  It's been almost 4 months since I left my German Shepherd mix Mickey who died at the age of almost 13 years old, which is a complete life for such a dog (although he looked like he had another 1-2 years left).  He looked amazing and had hardly any grey in his muzzle and had a brilliant black & tan coat.  He recently survived Ehrlichiosis and had a follow-up exam just 6 weeks earlier.  That morning he made me proud walking so strong and graceful.  After lunch, his stance and look was something I deep down knew was death, but denial kicks in to protect us from our fears and I felt scared.  I tried walking him and he diligently and reluctantly got up.  He eventually died that night after labored breathing and I did not sleep or eat for days.  He is buried in my yard and I speak to him every day at his grave.  I wrote a letter to him because I felt guilty for not taking him to the vet earlier that day, or when I noticed a longer recovery time after a few walks in the morning.  He was my life, my family, my true best friend.  I will always love him in my heart and day by day I seem to dwell less on his death and cherish his "human" qualities that you too have expressed of your dog.  

He was way cooler than I could ever hope to be and I know he would forgive me for not taking him to the vet earlier and he would want me to be happy for the times we spent together.  Mickey's sudden death reinforces one to live more for the moment, be more compassionate and realize that life is so short.  He at least died in his home and I was there only at the last moments and he looked up at me and then he was gone.  It was the saddest moment in my life, but he seemed so cool about it like he was saying thanks and not to worry.  There is a saying here in Costa Rica, "un perro es 10 años de amor y 1 año de dolor" ("a dog is 10 years of love and 1 year of pain").
I too just lost my 11 yr old male German Shepherd "Yogi" extremely suddenly on March 16, 2012. He would have been 12 on June 13, 2012. I am devastated. On Tues. he seemed his regular self and was pooping and eating fine. On Wed. he had what I thought was just a mild case of the runs. I thought it was from too many milk bones that day which happened before. He would go out to go potty and crouch to poop but nothing really was coming out except a small bit of moosh every four hours or so. He showed no signs of illness really until late Thurs. afternoon. He seemed like he didn't feel well and I planned to call his vet first thing Fri. morning just to be safe. By Thurs. night I could tell he wasn't feeling very well and noticed his stomach felt really flubbery and looked bigger. Still he really didn't show me he was in any pain but I was really worried. He laid beside me and I rubbed his head and comforted him until I went to bed. About 2 AM Fri. I noticed he was breathing a little heavy and I checked his gums and they were pink and normal. He laid back down and we both went to sleep. I got up at 4 AM to go babysit my grandbabies as usual and asked my roommate to watch him closely and give me a call if he noticed him getting any worse. I called his vet about 8:30 AM Fri. and they said bring him in at 11AM. I got the kids fed and ready and went back to pick him up. By the time I got to my house, he wasn't doing well at all and when we tried to put him in the car his back feet buckled and I lost it. I checked his gums and they were pure white and so was his tongue. I rushed him to the vets. My roommate brought him in while I grabbed the kids. By the time I got down the stairs to see him the vet was drawing a huge vile of blood out of his chest. She told me his whole chest was filled with blood and he was sufficating to death and she should give him the first sedation shot before the second one to put him to sleep. WTF?? I was SHOCKED!! I just had to put his Mom (13) down 5 months prior but I had time for that decision. (They were both very healthy and had all their shots and were taken care of very well). The vet really had no idea how he could be perfectly fine just less then 24 hrs before and then be on deaths door and had to be put down. I don't have the money for an autopsy so I'm just left shocked, bewildered, totally heart broken, and I'm basically freaking out. He was the best dog in the world that anyone could ever ask for and I guess he protected me and my feelings until his very last breath. My sister said it may have been hemangiosarcoma. Not knowing is really killing me because I'll always wonder if there was something that I could have done differently.
I just lost my beuatiful 9 year old black lab, Maggie. She had a person's soul. She talked when she wanted your attention. Dinner was always at 5PM and she would come find me and talk to me if I was even 5 miutes late. She would talk if visitors were spending a little too much time petting our younger Bernese, Rocco, who adored her. She was much more interested in people than dogs. It took her a long time to decide she'd accept Rocco as a friend and allow him to worship her. She was healthier than ever now that she had a younger friend. She was chewing on bones agan and playing with toys again and loving her daily walks in the woods with Rocco, She was perfectly fine and she had her vet check up not 6 months ago. The vet said she looked terrific. I fell asleep at 11:30 Saturday night (3/24) and Maggie was right where she always was, laying in the hall in between my bedroom and our daughter's bedroom. Once my husband and I fell asleep she'd sleep in my daughter's room. My husband couldn't sleep that night and said Maggie came to him at 1:30 to go out. He let her out and waited for her. She pooped and peed normally and then just lay down in the grass,. My husband coaxed her up the deck stairs and back into the house. She went to rest in the living room with Rocco.  Half hour later she came to get my husband again. She was panting heavy and he was a bit worried. She was drooling a little. This has happened before when she has eaten some sort of human food morsel that may not agree with her. She may or may not eat grass and usually a Pecpcid AC works well so he gave her one. he put it on the back of her tongue and was worried because her tongue felt cold. He woke me and I went to her. She was laying in our bedroom. I took her head in my hands and she stopped panting. She was not drooling anymore. She looked at me and closed her eyes like she was ready for bed. I stroked her belly and listened for any gurgling noises--none. she didn't seem to be in any pain. She looked like she was feeling better. I kissed her and told her it was bedtime now. I climbed back into bed and my husband did too. Sometime that night she left our room. neither of us heard her and she was 90 lbs on a hard wood floor. How did we not hear her leave?? My dog Rocco came to get me at 3:30AM. I thought he had to go pee and told him to go back to bed. He turned around and left but a couple minutes later I decided to get up and let him outside. I couldn't find him in his normal spot. He heard me call him and bounded upstairs from the downstairs. He never sleeps there. I thought maybe he had an accident and I went down. There was Maggie, on her side, her back to me, on the carpet. I thought she was sleeping down here because she did sometimes when she was a bit hot and it was a lot cooler down there. But she was not sleeping. Her eyes were open and so was her mouth. My sweet, sweet Maggie was dead. If I had known she was dying my God we would have done something. Even if it was too late, we would have stayed up with her.  I am beyond grief--my heart physically hurts. I thank God Rocco was with her at least but I am dying on the inside. The Vet said it was a blood clot and the stress of the car ride would have probably killed her. I would't have wanted her to die in the car or on some cold table. I want a sign from her that she is okay. I am a stay at home mom so it was just me and the two dogs all day long. I am so devestated. Everyone in the family is stunned and sad but this is really hitting me the hardest. I simply cannot believe she's gone. Feeding Rocco and walking him and his bedtime rituals-I still have to do them but it's so hard when Maggie's missing .I keep expecting to see her in all her favorite spots... Rocco knows she's dead since he was with her, and he's eating but he's much calmer and seems sad. Not as depressed as I thought but I think he's just watching me all day. I cannot stop sobbing.
I can't even believe how hard this is. My first dog(Bernie) died last night at around 5:00 pm. The day before he passed our second dog(Riggins) wasn't himself. He's normally a spaz and he wasn't moving. We thought he might have eaten something, and decided to keep a close watch on him. About 8 hours later he got worse. His tongue and gums were dark grey and he looked drunk when he walked and vomited constantly. We made plans to take him to the vet early the next morning. When we got up he was almost back to normal so we figured he had a doggie cold. Then Bernie got worse. Since he was about 8 hours behind Riggins, we made him comfortable and thought by the next day he would also be better. The next morning, he seemed better and it looked like things were looking up. My mom and I left for softball practice and after that we rushed home. My dad and sister walked out of the house crying and I knew he was gone. (Even writing about it is making me cry) I ran inside and he was on the floor, dead. I cried for hours and I didn't sleep last night. I kept thinking that if only we took him to the vet he'd still be here. We took both dogs to the vet so they could get blood work done. We wanted to know so we could make sure it (whatever 'it' was) never killed Riggins. We buried Bernie in his favorite kind of blanket in our yard. I made a cross and put his collar and tag on it. We just got the blood work back. They both ate death cap mushrooms, but Bernie ate a larger quantity. I cry on his grave everyday and I keep feeling guilty about the times when I yelled at him or while I pet Riggins and he looked at me with his huge eyes like "Do you still love me?". Now I can't even think about anything because I have so many memories of him that make me cry just thinking about them. I can't even pet Riggins because I keep picturing him in heaven looking at me with his sad eyes thinking "Do you still love me?". Whenever I try to get over him I feel like I'm not honoring his memory. And when I try to honor him I end up sobbing the rest of the day. He always tried to cheer me up, so I know he doesn't want me to be sad. But he always wanted more attention, so I know he doesn't want me to get over him. I don't want to get over him. I'm a total mess and I feel so confused. I look up how to get over a pet and I feel like I'm jumping all over the stages of grief. I wake up and I'm like "Here Bernie!". He can't be dead. Denial. Then I go to "STUPID,STUPID,STUPID MUSHROOMS". Anger. After that I get stuck on "On that horse game I play, you can revive a horse for $3. I'd give anything to use that in real life." Bargaining. Pretty soon I'm in my room bawling in my pillow and not wanting to live. Depression.  Then I realize that Bernie wouldn't want me to be sad and I start thinking about the good things about him. Healing. Then I can't believe he's gone and I go back to denial and start all over again.

I'm trying for Bernie's sake and writing this this really helped. I'm very sorry for everyone's losses. But it's good to know he'll have playmates in doggie heaven.

I'll always love you forever, Bernie. Rest in peace.
This is really tragic, and I am so very sorry about what happened to your Bernie.
Dogs get into things they shouldn't, sometimes it just makes them throw up, sometimes it can kill them. It wasn't anyone's fault. I love my dog so much, and take really good care of her, and watch as far as is humanly possible, everything she eats....but even she managed to eat something in a field one day a couple of years back which made her sick for 2 days. She was lucky.

You do not have to "get over" anything at record speed. You know -you probably never will "get over" this. You'll remember Bernie, and the tragedy all your life, no doubt. But as time passes you'll probably find yourself remembering the essential "Bernie" more than the poison mushrooms.

It's been -how many hours? -since he died? You are still in shock over this, you wil need to cry, feel angry, everything else. And not sleeping, and probably not wanting to eat either....that's quite natural, even though it hurts so much.
The same happened to me after my last dog died. Eventually survival kicked in and I ate. I think that took two days I recall. Everyone copes in different ways, and there is nothing unusual in NOT being able to cope emotionally at first. That's what grieving is like.
I promise you though (you might not be able to see it now, and if it upsets you don't think about it, just live for the moment) -but as time goes by you will slowly be able to get on with living. Even through your sadness you will be able to do that.
Riggins is by you. I know it doesn't stop the pain, but he's with you, you're not alone. Give him a huge hug, and one from me too. He'll be grieving too.
God bless.
Rest in Peace Bernie XX
Thank you so much... I really appreciate it. Bernie died at about 4:00 so it's been about 28 hours. I've been keeping Riggins within my sight the whole time. I'm still worried about him but his blood work came back clean. Yay... I'm trying to think of ways to get over Bernie  without forgetting him.
He was always there for me. He went through my knee surgery with me. He would always snuggle with me whenever anything was wrong. There was something about him where he always knew if something was wrong and exactly how to help me get through it. Unfortunately this is the hardest thing I've ever been through,and he isn't here to help me through it.  I just keep thinking that when I come home he'll be asleep on the couch or looking through the window at me.

I gave Riggins a hug and a pig ear from you and he did his special Riggins thank you dance (aka spinning in circles). He appreciates it and I do too. Thanks so much. Xoxo

Love you Bernie
Thanks for the dance Riggins! I used to have a dog who did that. When I played the Irish Tin Whistle (which I wasn't very good at, but could manage a tune or two) then he would up and dance, round and round in a circle one way, then a bark and a leap, and round and round the other way.

He broke my heart when he passed over too. But I had a deam of him, running happily, playing with other dogs in some beautiful place, countryside with hills and fields. And he was the happiest dog I'd ever seen. He caught sight of me watching, raced over to greet me, wriggled and barked, and wagged like crazy, then glanced at me grinning, and took off again running about with the other dogs. That dream felt SO realistic.
And I dreamed that WAY before I had ever heard anything about "The Rainbow Bridge"
Thanks a lot. I hope I have a dream like that soon... I'm sure he would be at the beach chasing sand flies. He always loved that. I know he's in a better place but it is still hard. It seems like I can't believe he's gone but whenever I feel like I'm doing better, someone says "Wow, you're doing really well!". I think that I'm just forgetting about him and then I cry and the rest of the day I'm a complete mess. I'm getting through it though and thank god I still have Riggins. And my cat who has always been there for me. I think she's a dog at heart.

Thanks again for all your support.

R.I.P. Bernie. We will miss you and love you forever and ever.
That's one of the things about grief. We feel scared somehow that we are going to forget them. They meant so much to us when they were with us, and it feels terrible to do any kind of "moving on" because it seems our life journey is taking us further and further away from them.
Well in a way it does. In an everyday sort of way. But not in Spirit. That is impossible because love can NEVER be cancelled out by any event.
Even if we find ourselves forgetting little things about the deceased as time goes by, which we all do, that's just because they are not in the forefront of our everyday consciousness. But deep down they are there, just as much as they ever were.
Ok I was worried about that. Before whenever I didn't cry whenever I thought about him, I felt guilty that I was forgetting him. Now I won't though thanks to you.

I feel better already. But I still go see his grave every day.

R.I.P. Bernie
MY  "Ginger": had a seizure April 02,2012 in the evening tried desperatly to get in contact with a Vet. clinic, when I did my neighbor went with me to help with Ginger, on the way, Jane said"she is gone" there has not been one day I have not cried as I am doing now.  Ginger had a good day  earlier, her walk,  treats and of course love.  All the talk in this world has not helped the missing and the terrible grief. All I wanted was for Ginger and Callie(my other dog) to be mine for a long time, my only family was Ginger and Callie now I am alone and sick at heart.  Priscilla
I just read your note/s, and even though it was a while back, I'm sure that you still miss your dog and wonder about her death.  My reason to write you is because only 2 weeks ago I lost my baby (a yellow lab) 14 months old "Sand" - in perfect/healthy condition and I was not with him when it happened.  I left the house for less than an hour, and when I came home he was dead in the Florida room - right on his bed - We did have an autopsy, they could find nothing wrong with him, he was very well fed, taken care of, 60 lbs at 14 months and the breeder/vet as a newborn was my sister who had 8 different litters by the same parents!~ Blood work only showed he wasn't poisoned but every organ was perfect!  The vets here believe that it was either a stroke or an aneurysm.  I just wan to you to know that even if you had a necropsy.........it is very possible that you wouldn't find the answer!  We are devastated and his litter-mate Maya even more.......My condolences, Norma  
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. To lose a healthy young dog lke this is shocking for you, and difficult to understand.
There is only one consolation and that is that he mustn't have suffered. A fatal stroke or aneurysm would have taken him so quickly, probably as he was sleeping or dozing. He most likely wouldn't have known a thing about it.

But I feel for you because this must be very hard. Please accept my condolences.
Yesterday Day Our 1 year old Black lab mix suddenly died. When my husband cam home from work she was fine, happy to see him, her normal self. A little while later I came home with groceries and she greeted my at the door. Very happy to see me. I went back out side to get more groceries and when I came back to the door my husband said something is wrong with Bacy. She took a couple steps her hind end went down and by the time I got to her she was swaying her head back and forth and completely collapsed and let out a couple loud howls and her tounge was hanging out of her mouth. We rushed her to the vet and she was gone. We believe she was gone before we got the car out of the driveway. Our vet said the same thing, possible a heart attack, but she also said a bee sting could have caused it tho we searched her and she had no wounds or swelling anywhere. She just had her check up a month ago. She was perfectly healthy. I just don't understand how this could happen. Literally within 30 seconds she was gone. I am lost without her. There is a void in my heart and home. She is at peace now buried next to her Mommy.
I am so sorry your girl died. I know that empty hollow feeling a home has when a dog dies. It is so sad, especially as she was so young, and apparently healthy right before she died. You could not have known anything was wrong with her, her vet checkup was ok a month ago.....
It's true a bee sting would have left some swelling or sign behind, so would a snakebite or spider bite.
This could have been a heart attack, or possibly a sudden brain hemorrage.
I feel for you, I know what the death of a lovely dog is like to bear.
Please accept my sincere condolences.
I don't know what could have happened to your dog, but I am sorry to read that she died, and at such a young age.  Even though she was young, I bet you still have a lot of good memories, especially funny ones because she was so young.
Hi Greg - I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me.  One day I came home from work & let my 10 year 2 month old greyhound out to use go to the bathroom.  She went normally & came inside to greet me and was her happy cute self.  She got on the couch & as people know with their animals, I knew something was not right.  She was panting, which is nothing new since I live in Florida & this was June.  (She was only out for about 3 minutes so it was not heat stroke).  I looked at her gums, they looked OK.  She had an odd look on her face, her head was a bit tilted and her eyes were 'different.'  Like she was looking through me.  Having spent over $4,000 on vet bills in 3 months, as I am a 'paranoid' mother who rushes into the vet for everything.  I decided to let her rest, not be so paranoid & start mowing the lawn.  I came inside about an hour or less later & found her off the couch, in the 'office' which was her spot.  She was laying as she usually would & when I called her I knew she was gone. It was really horrible.  I tried doing doggie CPR & since I live alone, called my neighbor to help me move her to the car.  I rushed her to the vet & it was already too late.  Her tongue, as you said your dogs was, was out a bit and her eyes open, but I think this is the norm???  The vet said it was probably a heart attack.  I am so sad I was not there with her, yet I believe there is a reason for everything.  I opted out of a necropsy.  She is cremated here with me.  Greg, I feel it was a massive stroke vs heart.  I say this due to the head tilt and eyes that were looking 'through' me. That is just my gut feeling.  I hate that you went through this, but was comforted that I was not alone.  I hope everyone here feels some peace and closure...
Yesterday I lost my best friend.  He was a 7yr old German Shorthaired Pointer (who I got to help me get over my previous 6y rold GSP dying of cancer).  On Saturday we ran two miles and he pulled me the whole way like he usually does... we typically ran 10 miles/wk.  On Saturday night he was walking a little sluggish and clearly not feeling well, but he has done this before when he has eaten something outside that he shouldn't have.  Sunday morning came and he was his usual self.  Later in the afternoon he was playing outside with our other dog and just collapsed.  Although he was still breathing, he was gone within minutes.  I drove him to MSU to have a necropsy done and am hoping that this can shed some light on what might have happened.  How could my healthy boy be gone now?  I am devestated.
I just lost my 9 year old boxer last night.  We took him for his six month blood work and uralysis.  I was called to the back and they were performing cpr on him.  They couldn't give me any explanation.  I am so shocked and devastated.  We took him for an autopsy today.  I just am soooooo depressed.  Bear was my best friend and companion.  
Well I must say that I am shocked that this "unexpected" deaths of our beloved dogs happens far too often.  We just went through this two days ago with our Shepard/Sharpai 'Steve' who was a healthy, energetic 5yr old.  We were out on our deck and he seemed to suddenly have what I thought was a seizure.  He was twitching, shaking and started going stiff and let out an awful cry... This all lasted under a minute then it was like he took his last breath, his tongue came out and it was already purple and I knew he was gone.  I lost complete control, and was so devastated and shocked. Like a lot of people here I'm sure, we could not afford to do an autopsy.  Although I would like to have more clear answers of why he was taken so suddenly, it will be unknown.  We buried Steve on our acreage next to his favorite watering hole... I am in such disbelief still and it is already so incredibly different here without him.  I do however find comfort, although I do not wish this upon anyone, that there are people experiencing the same thing and that we are not alone.  I had never heard of these unexpected deaths really until I started doing research to possibly find some answers.  I do feel for every single person on here as this is a terrible thing to go through.  My thoughts and prayers are with everyone and amidst this sadness I know that we were truly blessed to have had Steve in our lives, he brought us much joy and laughter and he will never be forgotten.    
Our family has lost our beloved Neela who was a 2 year old yellow lab.  We left her for only 2 hours while we ran errands and came home to find her on our living room floor with a Beggin Strips bag on her head.  The frustrating thing was the bag was not on her face very tight and so if she shook her head or pushed it with her paw it would have come off.  This is such a tragedy for my husband, 2 children and myself.  We loved her so much.  I feel so guilty over this and sometimes I am not sure I will get over it.  I have learned that there are at least 6 other dogs who have died the same way in the last 10 weeks.  I wish I would have noticed posts before just for a gentle reminder.  I have been through the same thoughts with shock, guilt, anger and searching for an answer on why this happened and how she was not able to get the bag off her head.  I cannot get the vision out of my head at all and our new house is ruined as I have anxiety with just walking in the door.  I am now feeling down and depressed with some moments of clarity.  I hope we can move past this, but it is difficult.  I am also having feelings like I need a new dog to love soon.  Neela came into our lives after losing our 12 year old Sheltie and I tell you, she helped me cope with the loss of such a great dog.  Now here I am grieving her now.  Life is just not fair and sometimes there are just no answers to explain why things like this happen.  I am so sorry for any pet owner who has lost a pet.  No matter how they die, it is difficult.    RIP Neela, we love you so much.  You were an amazing dog inside and out.  Our love for you will never stop no matter what.  One day, I hope to give you the biggest hug in front of the Rainbow Bridge!!  I also hope you found our little Shelby, you guys would be great friends.  
So sorry you lost your dog. With your description of how she started acting, I would bet anything it was a stroke.
I am so very sorry for your loss. It was a tragic accident. You are in my thoughts and prayers. If you find it hard to cope with your grieving, please do look in on the Rainbows Bridge bereavement site. There is help there for pet loss and bereavement.
http://www.http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/?forum=150830
I'm sorry, that address won't copy properly. I mis-typed it.
The address is this:
http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/?forum=150830
Just early morning today, our 4 year old dog, Oscar, suddenly died... We are so devastated.. He is very loyal and very sweet. It's really hard... He was strong, healthy and active yesterday. I dont know why this happened...
Since this is happening to a LOT of dogs SUDDENLY - I'd say it's a poison of some kind = maybe from the DC Chemtrails being sprayed all over USING us as their lab rats as usual. DC has a war on dogs and has their illegal Federal raids kill all dogs they see first.  Deer are also suddenly dying from some so-called virus and this too is happening SUDDENLY. Only DC operates that way.  Nature does not.  Dogs and the food supply being attacked.  Do the math.  Could be poison feed nuggets dropped or the Chemtrail spray itself.  Remember the dead birds falling from the sky SUDDENLY !   Then it SUDDENLY stopped just like it started. DC's experiments are species specific for a reason . They are USING US for their bio-weapon tests as usual.  Animals do NOT just start dropping dead suddenly like this in Nature !  Do the math.
We too this morning lost our healthy 12 y/o Cocker Spaniel to very similar symptons as you guys are all talking about :( The pain is so hard to deal with :( she was a much loved family dog and we all miss her so much. I find comfort in reading some of your posts about them not being in pain and likely to have been a heart problem. I just hope she wasnt in any pain and that she is happy in heaven with all the other doggies.
-This is way for me to grieve upon my dog's death who died on Nov. 8th, 2012 10 PM.
RIP Smartie
-truest friend I ever had.

My dog just died this past Thursday. I was not informed till Friday from my Mom that my dog past away. My living situation is I live at a dorm because I'm a college student so I only get to see him once a month. I had him since I was four so we grew up together. He died at the age of 15. The moment my Mom told me I hanged up my phone and started to cry uncontrollably. I don't cry anymore in from of my parents ever since I was a small child. I muffled my cries so my roommates wouldn't worry. During time I was in denial. Just thoughts of "this couldn't have happened" and " I must be having an nightmare". Then it went to guilt. "If I only went to a college near home I would be able to stay at home and spend more time with him. Then just plain angry at the world. He died similar to the way it is described in the post. My mother told me he started to drool followed up coughing and then emptied his bowels and his eyes just stared at one place. I knew he was going to die someday but never wanted to realize it. All I wanted from him was to die while he was sleeping to die in peace. When I imagine of how he went, I can just imagine how scared he must of been, so lonely, in pain. He had his painful moments in his life. Being taken away from our family and being put at a shelter for a week and he didn't even sleep nor eat, just sat in the corner shivering is what the people at the shelter said. He didn't let people near him is what they said. Even at my darkest moments whenever my parents fought, he would be there for me sitting by me. He would be the light to a family that does not produce happiness. He would be someone to talk to or someone who would always understand.
I think the worst part is that I'm going to go home in a week.... The number one thing I look forward to going home is seeing my sweet dog. I don't know what I will do when I go home. He won't be waiting there for me. I don't know where he is right now because I haven't called my mother yet after she informed me. Where are you? Tonight is a very cold night. Please, I hope your soul is warm and safe.
i lost my 2 german shepherd mix pups a week ago today .. it was so shocking and devastating . they seemed to be fine before i went to work ... one of them kept lookin at me like he was sad tho ....they had bowel movements normal.. ate,  drank went outside romped around a bit ...seemed fine . my son put them in the crate i went to work and when i got home they usualy hear me and bark and move in cage . i didnt hear anything ..come in to see one passed and the other minutes away ... they were coverd in feces ..softer than normal but not watery or bloody .. i had the vet check for parvo ...they did not find any streams of parvo . they were the best 2 little guys i ever had ... i miss the joy they brought to my life .. i love them so much its been very hard ....does any one know what this may have been ...? i was thinking of getting a new pup sometime. would it be safe to bring one home with first set of shots ......?.i have no idea wht happend to my dear friends? i can only hope i get to see them again when i go to heaven..
So sad to read these posts ..I lost my Miniature Pinscher, LilBit, 4 weeks ago, due to a brain cancer. I'm still in shock and grieving. It happened so fast, one day she was fine and the next started a nightmare. A week later I had to put her down because the siezures she was having could not be controlled with meds. She had one behind another.
I was wondering about those who lost their furbabies...some had been outside. Could a snake bite be a possiblity?  There are some snakes that are so venimous that if an animal is bitten, death could be fast. 3 yrs ago LilBit was bitten by a rattler. I would not have known what was wrong with her if I had not seen it happen. I had her to the vet within 30 min. and by the grace of God, she made it thru after a week in the animal hospital and a few more weeks of recouping at home. After the 3rd week I felt more at ease about her recovery. She survived a rattle snake bite but she couldn't fight the cancer..I miss her sooo bad.
So sorry to hear about your sad loss, my heart goes out to you all. We lost our loved family member Austin, a 10.5 year old German Shepherd, last Wednesday night. My husband was taking out the rubbish and was surprised that Austin had not rushed to help out as he always did. He called out to Austin and noticed that he was sitting at the back of the yard, it looked like he was relaxing. My husband went up to Austin and noticed a glazed look in his eyes. He called to Austin who got up but was wobbly on his legs and he started to urinate. My husband held Austin and within minutes Austin had begun to convulse and was dead.
The whole family is overwhelmed by grief and I do not know how to live without him in my life. My husband sent me a message today saying he was picking Austin up. For a moment I forgot that Austin had passed and expected to see him in the car when my husband pulled up. He had gone to pick up the urn that contains the ashes and I have been a mess all afternoon.
We are still grieving the loss of our beautiful golden/samoyed mix Molly on Thanksgiving evening. Molly was 10 yr 10 mo old and just been for annual check up in October.  They do check her heart beat (listening), and other than underactive thyroid (been on meds for years), she was consider in good physical space for a dog at that age. No signs of sickness day before, nothing to indicate any problems.  We were away for the day and had her with neighbor for most of the day.  They took her home at 3 pm, we arrived home abut 5:15 pm, and she did usual barking and excitement that we always would get.  She did throw up her dinner in our bathroom, so my wife went to clean it up and Molly greeting me at door as I carried some items into the house.  Pet her for 5 seconds and she went to my wife, where she fell at her feet and was still (one heavy breath and quiet). I thought she knocked herself out (ran into wall?) and my wife thought it was a seizure. Within seconds, no sign of life and bowels openned.  We tried breathing (CPR) and tried to get some oxygen into her but nothing changed.  Couldn't get to our Vet on Thanksgiving night but did get emergency Vet to call us back 10 minutes later.

This was so unexpected and a complete shock to us.  We are both a mess but trying to overcome the greif and all the questions (why did this happen? was there something we could have done?) We didn't think autopsy would make things any better, plus doesn't bring Molly back to life.  Looking to find some confort to know that we aren't the only folks that have experinced this (sudden dealth). Look forward to any words of encourgement and insights someone feels led to share.

Love you Molly, You live on in our hearts. Will never forget you.

greg30127, I know exactly hoew you feel, only 2 days ago my dog died suddenly, the day before I took her out and suddenly she lfted her front leg and would not walk any further, she was a cairn so I carried her home the next morning I took her out she walked for about 5 mins, then lifted her front right leg again, so I carried her home again she went to bed, I sat down to eat beakfast she then let out a high pitched squeal I jump up and looked round and she was standing up so I assumed she had hurt her leg, I turned away then I heard a slump I ran to her  and she took two huge breaths and died right in front of me,  I feel horrible I cant eat or sleep and have cried constantly, I am so upset I need this feeling to go away as I am knocking myself ill, I dont know if it would help if I new what happened as she will still be gone, I know everyone is different but anyone got a clue how long this will last its breaking  my heart.
I’m sorry about your pet.  As I was reading your story, it was the same story as a friend once told me about what happened to his dog.  Let them out to get busy and then walked in and died.  Also, it is prevalent in larger dogs.  Heart gets too big and it can happen at any moment.  
I just had this same thing happen today.  My 9 year old male German Shepard (pure bred) just suddenly died a little after noon.  He was fine when I went to work at 5:20 AM -- ran around, pooped normal, acted completely normal.  At 12:50 PM (7.5 hrs later) my wife called me stating that Gandolf was lying down with feces coming out, very disoriented and breathing irregular.  I immediately rushed home.  The trip took 15 minutes but he was dead when I got home.  I also opted to not have an autopsy.  The vet seemed very sure it was a clot that killed him.  It's so hard dealing with it, but this little forum has offered me some comfort.  Not knowing makes it harder.  
People deal with grief differently,  I will look at pictures of our Molly on a regular basis and draw some comfort.  My wife tends not to want to talk or look at pictures of her.  Molly was so loved by all of our neighbors that we continually have to recant what happened.  I wanted to blame our vet because I think they missed testing her for heart related condition (had cough in August that they treated as summer cold). Then I blamed myself for not knowing correct way to do dog CPR (we tried but she didn't respond at all). We did find out Molly lived the longest of her litter and by 2 years, and other dogs had similar issues, but at least had 1-2 week decline, Molly went in matter of minutes.  We got a puppy, and it's a lot of work, but we love her and is helping ease our pain. Remember all the great times with Molly but had part is shaky off when she dies in our arms,  Just can't get that memory (bad memory) out of my mind.  Time passing will ease the pain.  Suggest giving her to God's care and pray to see your best pet friend again someday.  That's my hope and belief.  Will see Molly again in the next life.
So sorry to hear of your loss. I just lost my girl, Jenny on Monday morning. She was also, like you said, a "prodigy" dog.  We let her out to potty, she came in a few min. later and was running her usual lap between the back and the front door and laid down and was scratching her back on the carpet trying to grab her own tail (all normal "Jenny" things) then I heard her start to whine. I looked out the bathroom door and she was flat out on her side, back arching, eyes fixed and she was completely unresponsive when I went to her. She had lost control of her bowels a bit and her tongue was already blue. I listened to her heart and it was so faint and a few seconds later she was gone, and truthfully I believe she was already gone by the time I got to her and all this happened in a matter of seconds!! No prior illness, no warning what-so-ever.. We feel like she was stolen from us. The only thing that's even remotely comforting us right now is the fact that it happened SO fast, I don't think she knew what hit her. We miss her so much it's awful. The vet thought it was heart too but we opted for no necropsy. She was 2 weeks away from her 9th birthday so she was technically a "senior" and a Pit Bull so she wasn't a tiny dog by any means but we fed her the best dog food, she was a good weight a was always so healthy, we just weren't expecting to lose her so soon. Hope you are getting along ok with your loss, my family shares your pain. Take care, Renee
My sweet Rudy just passed this last Friday night.  Friday morning we were up...walked, ate, played and everything was fine.  When I got home from work something wasn't right.  He was not breathing right and couldn't stand.  We got him right to the emergency room and within 10 minutes he was gone.  They said it was a heart attack.  He was an 8 year old Golden retriever.  I'm heartbroken and cannot stop beating myself up thinking I missed something.  I'm so sad....wish I understood.
my husband and I left three of our boxers in the kitchen while we worked at another house. We were gone about 7 hours. When we returned home we found our kitchen a mess, they had torn a plastic grocery bag to bits, but the absolute WORST thing ever was our beautiful 3 and a half year old, 110 pound huge healthy boxer was dead on the floor. He was cold already. His eyes were open, he had bitten his tongue, so there was a bit of blood on him from biting his tongue. We are guessing he had a seizure because his tongue was also purple at the end. We are devastated. His sister was right there with him, the exact same age. Now I feel guilty, Could I have prevented it? Could we have saved him if we were home? Did I do something wrong? It is just a horrible feeling.
Well, 10 + 1 = 11 the number of the dog year in the Chinese zodiac. Strange that such numbers are universal.
Our 10 year old pointer, Daisy, died yesterday.  She woke up, we petted her and we went for a long run.  We didn't take Daisy because she had been on a hike Saturday, did agility Sunday and ran three miles with us monday.  She was in great shape, had her blood tests a monthe earlier. My wife took the dogs for a spin around the block while I got their breakfast ready.  I saw Daisy in the hallway and noticed her leash was stillon.  I told her I was going to take her leash off.  Her gaze was odd, she tilted her had and feel off her feet.  I tried CPR, she was non-responsive.  We got her in the car and took her to the vet and were told what we feared that she was gone. I am really struggling with the loss.
I am so grateful that I found this site. My beloved 6yr old Golden Retriever suddenly died last week. My friend came to visit, and Tucker did his usual, crazy, happy run around the backyard. He fell at my feet and I was stroking his head and telling him to settle down, I realized that he was terribly still...and he was gone. He was healthy, well-exercised, well-fed and adored. My 17yr old son won't talk about him. Tucker was his best friend. and I can't stop wanting this to be a bad dream. I miss him so much. I'm glad that I found a place to talk to others who know exactly how I feel.  
First of all, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me last night with my 9 y.o. chijuajua Rocky. He was perfectly fine 24 hours ago. We let him outside before we laid down- He barked (as usual) He peed, then collapsed. he was literally out there for less than 2 minutes. This is the first  time we ever had to go through this. My family is so saddened by this. I keep asking myself, What Happened? Is this Real? Thank you all for posting these comments, It's comforting to know we are not alone. My heart goes out to all of you who have lost a beloved furry family member. This is extremely difficult to bear, If you haven't heard of Rainbow Bridge Poem, look it up. It's a tearful yet comforting poem for us. Thanks again.
Thanks to all of you for your heartfelt posts.  I lost my beloved sweet puggie girl, 8 years old, last night.  The same scenario.  She was perfectly healthy when we went for a little walk to visit a friend yesterday late afternoon-not too hot out.  She hung out on the lawn for a little (were there chemicals on the lawn?  I later found out that yes, it had been sprayed, but other dogs walked there and it didn't seem to be a problem).  We came home, she was fine and waiting for her dinner (the high point of her day)—suddenly she appeared startled, stared into space, tried to stand up and collapsed, her eyes bulged out and she collapsed in my arms and died.  I just kept repeating, "I don't understand" and I still don't.  She was such a sweet spirit and gave so much comfort and unconditional love to so many!  I feel her presence as I sit in my kitchen and I filled her food bowl this morning—one last time.  I will bring her ashes home tomorrow.  We have been truly blessed to have had these loving relationships that our memories will keep alive.
Similar case happend also with my dog. Dog was normal for walking, feeding and other activities. At 7:30 PM I gave food as her usual  time but she couldnot. When i try to eat best sweet food she take it with paracetamol. After that dog walk outside for urine extraction and came back drink water. After 5 minute later she cry two time and paralyze lags. Than i cath her but it was dead. I showked then without any symptom my lovely puppy of 3 moths was dead.
My baby Yoki, a black lab mix,  passed away 12 days ago and I am broken hearted & devastated.  She would have been 10 years old next month.  She was my constant companion and my best friend; I don't know how to go on without her.  I love her and miss her so much and there is a huge hole in my heart.  My daughter rescued Yoki from the animal shelter; my son, a high school senior at the time, was doing volunteer work at the shelter as part of his senior project requirement.  My daughter just had to have her, so I went and drove her home...within a few days, the excitement of a new pet wore off my daughter and Yoki became my dog; she was adopted on Christmas Eve 2003 and she was three months old, the last of her litter of siblings to find a home.

My three kids all finished school and moved away from home, so it became just me & Yoki.  She would sit in the window and wait for me to come home from work when we first got her and cry when I left the house.  She slept in my bed with her head on the pillow beside me and I'd wrap her up like she was a child.  She'd follow me everywhere in the house and when I mowed the lawn, she'd walk herself tired following me on the mower.  She was my protector and my alarm so even after I moved into the country, I didn't worry about anyone getting close to the house.

About a week before Yoki died, I noticed when she started barking, it sounded like she had something in her throat; she was known for chewing on a string then throwing it up so I assumed she had done it again and couldn't get it up.  But she ate well and went through her regular routine.  In fact, the last night before she stopped eating, she joined me to eat a snack of peanut butter on a bagel in the middle of the night.

The next morning, Tuesday, she kept coughing and she threw up some bloody substance, which I wiped up with a paper towel and took with me and her to the vet's office.  The vet told me he would sedate her and look down her throat and take xrays to see if he could find out the problem.  I left her for a few hours and then went back and got her.

The vet told me that he found puncture wounds on her windpipe.  He showed me her xray and said he thought she also had either cancer or a fungus in her lungs.  He said she had about a year to live and I should just prepare myself because she was 10 years old and was at her life expectancy. He said her blood work was pristine; I was stunned!   He gave me some antibiotic capsules and I  brought her home.   Yoki immediately went under the bed and stayed there.  Under my bed has always been her spot when she didn't want to be bothered with anyone.  She didn't eat,drink or go out to potty the rest of that night.  The next day, Wednesday, she drank some water and I got her to go out; she did relieve herself but she didn't eat anything.  I couldn't get her to take her medicine and by Thursday, I was worried because she seemed like she was having a hard time breathing.  

I went back to the vet and told them I couldn't get her to take the medicine in pill form so they offered to change it into liquid form and gave me something for pain (I thought her throat still hurt from the procedure) and also a liquid nutritional supplement since she wasn't eating.  By now she had not eaten, drank or went to the bathroom all day.  I got one dose of pain medicine in her mouth and she choked on it.  

A couple hours later, I went to the store and when I came home, Yoki was laying on the floor on my side of the bed panting heavily.  I knew it was the end; I cried out to the Lord and prayed for her suffering to end.  I rubbed her and prayed over her and a few minutes later, I went to put the groceries away that I had went for and heard her get up.  I looked into the room and she was slowly walking around the bed to go under to her spot, she always went under the bed on the opposite side of where I slept.  When she got to the foot of the bed, she staggered and moaned then fell against the footboard.  She turned and looked at me then her head went straight up as if she was looking at the ceiling.

I took her face in my hands and looked into her eyes and it was as if she looked through me, her eyes didn't look like my baby's eyes.  I took her head and laid it on the floor and went to call my boyfriend.  I was screaming into the phone.  Yoki laid there a few minutes, having convulsions.  My boyfriend came a few minutes later and went into the bedroom and talked to her.  He said Yoki looked at him when she heard his voice and then she was gone...

There was a pool of blood by her mouth.  I called the pet crematorium to come and get her; the man said she looked like she aspirated.  I can't believe she's gone.  I was shocked that the vet said she had a year to live and I was trying to get myself together to face in a year she would be gone but instead, she was gone in two days.  I can't stop crying.  

I feel guilty that I didn't take her to the vet when I first heard her coughing; I feel guilty that I didn't take her to a real animal hospital in the next state.  I live in a tiny town and I should have known it was going to go downhill when the vet told me he didn't know what that was on the xray.  I live 30 miles from the next state; they have a real animal hospital, I should have taken her there.  I feel guilty forcing the medicine down her throat when it was clear that she was in pain.  

For the first three days after Yoki passed, I stayed in the same clothes I had on the night she died; I didn't eat.  I have been sleeping on the couch since she passed away because, I can't sleep in my room.  I keep seeing her laying on the side of my bed before she collapsed and died under my footboard.  It just hurts so much.

I don't know how I will ever go on;  I cry for hours a lot of times.  Today, I was driving and started crying.  That was almost three hours ago and am crying while typing this.  I do have her ashes here with me but sometimes that makes me cry more.  I wonder if she knew how much I loved her and if she forgave me for not taking better care of her
Hello Greg and all,
   Last night my family lost our Bella a 11 month old golden retriever the same way yours passed. she was perfectly healthy she would always excercise and go running with me. we had the best organic shampoos and food and protected her with all our hearts. Our 3 year old daughter and her were like best friends, and our cat Mumble was like her older brother. she was the perfect dog and so smart and brought so much joy to our lives. it was 6pm 10/16/2013 i had just walked her and we were going to the movies and my mother in law had our daughter they were going to go to the store. we left the house and bella was fine in her usual spot in the crate. we were in the movie by 715 and thats when my mother in law called and said Bella was dead. we rushed home to find our poor Baby Bella laying down with two small pieces of regular looking feces and her tounge twisted and purple hanging outside her mouth. we were in total shock. our daughter had found her and opened the cage and kept saying come on Bella get up hurry up bella we are home. The hardest part is dealing with the fact that shes going to be gone forever, but on top of that as a husband and father i have to find extra strength to help my wife and daughter grieve. i know its none of our faults but my wife keeps asking me why us orlando why us out of all the dogs why us. it is very difficult but Khail Gibran comes to mind   -        
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.  
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
I never realized there are so many incidents where a seemingly perfectly healthy dog suddenly drops dead.  I recently lost my airedale terrier (just turned 9 years old) in just such an event.  Brought her to a new groomer and was home only for about an hour when I got a frantic call from the shop saying Rube was unresponsive and they were giving her CPR and to come down quick!  My husband and I raced to the shop (a 5 minute drive which seemed like hours) and when we got there they were carrying her to a car to transport to their animal hospital.  I hopped in the car with them and watched helplessly as the groomer (who is also a vet tech) gave her CPR as best she could in the cramped backseat.  It took what seemed like forever to get to the animal hospital.  Once there, she was whisked away to be worked on by the vet techs but the veterinarian tried to prepare us for the worst (5% chance of reviving her).  I think she was already gone before we got there. I am still grieving.

The emergency vet took an x-ray afterward and said she had an enlarged heart (left ventricle, I think he said it was).  He said a trip to the groomers --- no matter how used to being groomed she was --- could have still been stressful. He even gave me a disk with the x-ray to show our regular vet.  Our regular vet looked at the x-ray and said the heart was slightly enlarged but he could not say that was the cause.  He said she could have thrown a clot.  Let's face it, we will never know for sure.  About a month earlier she had had her teeth cleaned and passed her medical pre-op with flying colors.

The groomer of course felt awful.  She said they had given Rube a bath and then a "wet cut" (which they do before a final "dry" cut) and had put her back in her cage to start air drying.  I do not know how much time elapsed before someone noticed she had collapsed and urinated and her belly was blue.  I keep reliving that morning ---  how happily Rube had trotted on her leash through the parking lot.... how happily she greeted the groomer and her assistants (new friends!)... and then an hour later she was gone.

In hindsight, there was one possible clue that there might have been something brewing with her heart:   During the past year, Rube had two "episodes" where she seemed "out of it" for several days...like in a depressed state... not "with it" --  for example, I would find her standing in a room, not going anywhere, just standing there... for minutes on end...she just seemed "out of it."  We even took her to the vet where she promptly made liars out of us as she warmly greeted him (another friend!) --- So he never really saw what we were describing to him.  However, after she passed away I spent hours on the Internet researching heart disease in canines and found a list of 10 symptoms, one being lethargy or depression.  I am still angry that our vet never considered heart disease as a possible cause for Rube's symptoms.  Although maybe he did but did not find anything out of the ordinary in his physical examination of her.

I did not expect to have such a lengthy comment.  It has been two weeks since her passing.  I can talk about her now without breaking down (usually) but when I am alone with my thoughts it still hurts.
I lost my dog Lucy on Friday night, the 6th of December and I, like everyone else on this page, am completely devastated. Lucy was my baby girl. She was a 9 year old Rottie (I can't believe I'm writing 'was') and she was super-smart compared to our other dogs and completely devoted to me. My life has revolved around her, my routines, plans, worries and affection since the day we met. I feel like she's a huge part of who I am.

She had arthritis but was on Previcox and was really well on it. She was otherwise perfectly healthy and running around like a puppy. On Friday morning she did her usual in the autumn - found and made huge piles of leaves and then jumped into the centre looking up at me for me I kick them.

On Friday night I met my friend and her dog as usual for an evening walk. Lucy greeted everybody in her kitchen as normal and gently jumped up a little to take a biscuit from my friend's daughter. Within 10 seconds her head went down and she started moving with a strange wave like action down her body. I thought she was going to be sick but deep down I knew something terrible was happening. I took her out of the kitchen as I thought she might be too hot and might need to be sick. She made it down the back steps and then just stood there. I put my had out to comfort her which she always wanted no matter how sick she might feel but she recoiled away from me, then her body spasmed, her head pointed way up to the sky, her tongue fell out the side and she let out an awful whine, then she collapsed. I screamed and my friends husband tried to revive her. I thought she might have choked on the biscuit so I stuck my hand into her throat but there was nothing there so i pulled her tongue out to clear the airway. Within 20 seconds she had stopped breathing and after another couple of torturous twitches she was gone.

I took her to the vet in desperation but they said it was likely a heart attack.

I feel so cheated. She was enjoying life so much and she had so much more to enjoy with me before we had to start weighing up options.

She had her yearly check up and vaccinations on just Tuesday and everything was fine but we had a new vaccine and the stress of giving her the kennel cough was really high and now I'm worried that visit has weakened some underlying condition.

It does help to read other people's posts and know that Lucy is not alone.
I lost my beautiful Maggie, 9 year golden retriever, on Dec. 2, 2013.  She was healthy, happy, and having a great romp through the woods where we walk.
She was running along with another dog, bumped into his side (not hard at all) and fell to her left. Perhaps all of 2 feet down a hill. I was right there. Saw it all. I jumped down next to her but somehow I knew she was dead. Maggie let out one big sigh, and died.
So horrible....she was my very best friend and companion.
This is the first time I've been on the web...decided to see if anyone else had a similar experience, and I found this page right off the bat.
I am so sorry for all of you, and for me. But your stories above made me realize that this is not uncommon. It is just such a shock. Thank you for sharing your stories. We are not alone, are we?
my dog moo died today the day after christmas and seem to of had the same signs as a lot of your be loved pets i thought he had been poisoned but after reading all of your loses i dont think thats what happened and i wont ever no what really happened the only thing i had seen him do in the past he loved his ball and a couple of times while i was playing with him he had got drowsy and looked like he was drunk i stoped him sat  him down got him some water and five minutes later he was fine the vet said he was over excited so i dont no if it had something to do with it or not he did not do it before he past that i no because we found in the morning when we woke up im sorry for every ones lose and i feel all your pain i have not stoped cry all day  
Hello. I am truly sorry for your loss, particularly at this time of the year when grief seems that much more intense. The sudden death of a beloved best friend is hard to take in. Sadly, our dogs never live as long as we would like. But in their short lives, they manage to fill it with adventure, loyalty, love, compassion and boundless energy - all thanks to the owners that care for them. Run free Moo. Tony
Hi , our dog just died suddenly.  He was always eating the worst stuff( feces , underwear etc..) but he never showed any illness. I am just shocked as the day after christmas he  just got up and pooped on our floor, no whining to go out or anything. After we let him out I was waiting for him to appear at the door to come back in, when he didn't I whistled for him and when that did'nt bring him in I became concerned as this was not typical .  Then I found him in our woods with his tongue twisted and still warm.  I am still in shock.. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. I was wondering if all of you posting could tell me what dog food your dog eats.. Just trying to find some comonality here.
Hi. I am very sorry for your loss. If allowed to, dogs will sometimes eat some fairly disgusting and quite dangerous stuff. It's in their nature to scavenge on almost anything edible. But ... some of the things they will eat are not good for them and can cause blockage, bloat and trauma to the esophagus and digestive tract. In some cases, blockages can be fatal. This is one of several possibilities with your dog. The twisted tongue is indicative of a seizure, which may also have occurred due to internal trauma or also possibly a heart attack.

The truth is, without further investigation, you may never know what actually happened.

My condolences to you. Sudden death is hard to take in at first, and particularly at this time of the year. Tony
My beloved baby Roxie died suddenly on new year's eve.  She was a 12yr old daschund.  A few day's before that she was perfectly fine running around and begging for treats as she always did.  two days before she died she started laying around more than normal and started eating and drinking less.  Then I noticed she had labored breathing while she slept.  The next morning she was panting heavier so I called the vet right away and got her in.  He took an dray and said he could see fluid around her heart and was the beginning of heart disease.  He said her heartbeat was beating fast but the rhythm and everything else sounded fine.  He said she would need to be on medication the rest of her life but she should start feeling better soon as he had given her a shot of lasik to get the fluid out.  Intook her home.  She walked over to sit on her favorite blanket.  After a couple minutes she just raised her head, looked over at me and her head just fell back.  I ran over to her and she had passed.  I wasn't sure because I was so shocked.  I wrapped up her up and brought her back to the vet immediately but she was gone.  He said most likely it was a heart attack.  I am in such shock and have been crying non stop ever since.  My sweet husband and son have been trying to console me but they are hurting too,  this little dog had such a profound impact on our lives.  She was my soul mate and was such a beloved member of our family.  I don't know how start living normally again.  This morning I started doing research and started reading all the comments from others who have lost their beloved perts as well and thought it might help me if I shred my story.  I have never participated in any type of social media so this is unusual for me.   I feel horrible reading everyone elses sad stories but I do think sharing does help.    
Hello. I am pleased you found us here, though I am saddened at the circumstances. I am very sorry for your loss. I am as certain as I can be that your vet is right, this was a heart attack, which means there was nothing you or anyone else could have done to prevent it. Unfortunately, when symptoms are not present (as in Roxie's case), it means things could have been happening slowly for quite a long time, but no one would have or could have known.

She had lived to a good age. I know that's not consoling, but it's a fact. And I can tell by your posted message that she had lived a fabulous life, rich in love and kindness, and part of a wonderful family. If she could, she would thank you for everything you gave her, including the adventures, compassion, affection and companionship. What dog could ask for more.

Run free Roxie. Tony x
Yes, welcome to the Forum.  You are among friends and many who have shared the sadness if your loss.  I am so sorry and understand your grieving.  

Most  likely a heart attack but, if it is any comfort, at least your little one didn't't suffer from some chronic disease or cancer.  

I read something recently that said that our pets come into our lives to teach us to love.  When they leave us, they teach us about loss.  

How lucky Roxie was to be so loved so much for 14 years.  Happy memories will return.

Hugs to you and your family
Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am comforted as much as I can be that she didn't suffer.  It would kill me to see her suffer.  I tried to give her the best life and most love I could.  Her love for me is just something I have never felt.  I know my husband and kids love me but Roxie really made me a better person and taught me to love better and sweeter.  She got me through very difficult times.  Roxie was our first dog.  My husband was never an animal lover and was very resistant to get her in the first place but Roxie completely changed him.  He grew to love her like I did and is grieving more than he has for his aunts and uncles that have passed.  I just can't believe she is gone.   Thank you again for your kind words.
My beloved pug Annabelle, died Christmas Eve Day.  I rescued her when she was between 1-2 years old. She became  my constant companion and best friend.   Today marks a month since she passed. She had had a cough and then a urinary infection,which was being treated for by her vet. And yes, she seemed to be slowing down, breathing on occasion more heavily than usual, she didn't play with her toys as she use to, but was still her feisty little self. Happily ate her meals, loved going out  and taking our walks though they were  not as long a walk as when  she was  a pup. She had trouble seeing. She slept more than usual, and not always with me as she use to. She loved her new bed which I bought her before Christmas.  I knew she was getting older and slowing down but didn't realize she was as old as the vet told me after she died. He said, 11- or 12. I keep asking myself, why didn't I realize this.  I cannot conceive being without her, it is incredibly painful. On that fateful day,  we went for a walk, she did her business, and walking back home,  I lifted her up to play in leaves, which she loved, she was happily sniffing.  After a few minutes, I climbed up the small embankment and said, "Sweetheart time to go inside now". I started picking her up and as soon as I did, she bolted out of my arms, and  fell to the ground and didn't get up.  I said, "Annabelle come, get up,  she was staring at me with her beautiful brown eyes. she didn't move.  I picked her up , held her in my arms, she twitched once, she was gone.   In disbelief I  yelled for help,   Her tongue now hanging out of her mouth  staring  wide-eyed at me. I'll never forget that look. I kept thinking maybe she's in shock, I'll get her to the vet. Maybe she's in a coma, anything but dead   I was in shock, disbelief, one minute she is sniffing  leaves, the next minute lying lifeless in my arms.  The vet later told me she most likely had an arrythmia, a "sudden death".  I will never forget her eyes and lifeless little body. I pray she didn't suffer, it happened so suddenly and I  am grateful I was holding her.  I pray she heard me and didn't die alone.   She was very special and will live forever in my heart.  I am crying as I write this.  She was my little girl. She taught me patience, tolerance and so much more.  She brought me happiness and joy. I am forever indebted to her.
Like all of the posts here it is incredibly sad to lose a beloved pet, we must be grateful for the time they gave us and the time we spent with them, loving them and they loving us. How lucky we've been to have  had that experience They gave us a better life for having had  them in our lives.  I keep thinking of the words, "To everything there is a season, a time to live, a time to die."  Our pets only fault is that they usually die before we do. May we all be re-united with them one day.
God Bless us all.    
Great comments here. I needed this tonight. Lost my best friend yesterday. Bailey was a very happy, healthy, fun loving 18.5 year old Cockapoo. Don't really understand what happened, but I'm thinking it was heart related. The day before she was running & playing with our kids. No issue at all. The morning of was normal. Went outside to do her business, came back in got some breakfast then went back down to take a nap after we all left for school and work. Wife went out to store for a hour or so. Came back to see my best friend still sleeping the same way when she left. But she was gone.

As I sit here and type this, all I can think about is that I hope she is happy, well fed, and not missing me as much as I miss her. God bless you Bailey, you have changed my life & our kids, your sisters.

Until we meet again my friend.  Big hugs Bailey!!! XOX!
Hello. I am so very sorry for your loss. What a fantastic age Bailey reached. You must have been so attentive to her over the years, cared for health issues and doted on her that she stayed so long. Although I can only imagine how grief stricken you must be, in many ways, the way Bailey passed was so peaceful and gentle and very natural ... what better way to go, if anyone has to go at all. Bailey went to sleep in her own bed, in her own home, with all those that loved her doing their usual things, like nothing was amiss. She just didn't waken from her slumber.

You are likely to be right, it was probably a heart attack, and probably very sudden. She would probably not have known anything was wrong, otherwise I think she would have been out of her bed.

Run free Bailey. Cyber hugs to you and your family. Tony
Hello again. It's been a while since Roxie left and I was just wondering how you are doing. Sometimes grief creeps up on us, although usually it eases with time. I am sure you have had moments when tears have arrived without warning, and then subsided, and I hope these occasions have become less over the last three months.

Still thinking about you ... and remembering how Roxie changed your lives for the better.

Cyber hugs. Tony x
Hello. Time has now passed from that dreadful day, when you lost Annabelle. For whatever reason, the forum didn't post your thread at the time to me, so I have only just caught up with it. I hope you are still on the forum and have got some comfort from it. Although losing Anabelle must have been dramatic and dreadful, particularly at that time of the year, she passed quickly and with you at her side. Grief sometimes takes a long time to dissipate, and as the months roll forward, normal routines can take over - yet, out of the blue, we can find ourselves deep in grief again, without warning. Thankfully, there is this forum and the wonderful people on it when these times occur. There is comfort in a shared experience, and many here understand how the loss of a best friend can impact on a human life.

I hope your own grief has eased by now - I just wanted to connect with you and pass on my condolences. Tony
I am somewhat comforted by what I've read here. Our mastiff died suddenly  2 days ago much like most of your described. He was 8 years old and though he had lost a lot of weight seemed perfectly healthy. We had checked for worms because he was so thin but he didn't have them. He ate normally, was active and happy. He had been walking around the yard and my husband came inside to fix him and our other dog dinner. We heard a horrid sounding moan and I looked out the back door to see him laying on his side not moving. I called for my husband who went outside in time to see him take a couple deep breaths and just like that he was gone. We are of course, heartbroken and confused just like you all have said. Wondering if he got in to poison or something. After reading these posts I am more convinced that he had a heart attack or maybe had a blood clot. It kind of helps to know that this does happen and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it.
Hello and welcome to the forum, though obviously I am saddened by the circumstances. Sudden death is very hard on owners, because we often try second-guessing what happened, whether we could have done something to prevent it and we feel shocked at the sudden loss. Of course, for your best friend, it was the best way to go - if he had to go. You are right, it was most probably a heart attack and therefore very quick.

I am very sorry for your loss, but try to remember that your best friend had 8 wonderful years, full of love and adventure, thanks to you both. Not all dogs are so fortunate ... and if he could, he would thank you for giving him a fabulous life and for sharing it with him.

Tony x
How much heart break.  I read all the posts.  So sad.  My little Rat Terrier Nina passed away suddenly over a year ago. She had the best food, regular vet visits, daily exercise and tones of love.  There hasn't been a day since that I don't think about her.  She was 6 years old.  Plus, I have awful nightmares in which somehow she died because of something I did or didn't do.  Somehow deep inside I feel I failed her.  What did I miss?  Could I have done something different?  I loved her so very much. I feel devasted for not having said goodbye to her.  I didn't know she was dying!  I was in disbelief as it happened in front of my eyes.  I just crashed.  After all, she was healthy and happy.  I always thought of Nina as my soulmate, to my husband's dismay and reply: what about me?  We have adopted 2 more Ratties since and they are loved and spoiled, but Nina never leaves my thoughts.  
Hi. The sudden loss of a beloved pet dog is devastating and invades our lives for months and sometimes years after the event. Grief takes us all in different ways and to different degrees. I am very sorry you still feel traumatized, a year later, but this is very normal and not uncommon. I would urge you to read my article about the loss of a dog, it may help: http://www.infobarrel.com/When_a_Pet_Dog_Dies

Tony
I came across this forum as I was searching for answers for the loss of my own baby...and I just couldnt stop crying while reading all your posts and thinking about my dearest little one gone too soon. My perfectly healthy happy almost 3 year old toy poodle passed away at a pet resort/kennel while I was overseas for holiday. I dropped her off at the pet resort and the last thing I said to her was "have a good time". Only 5 days later, I got a call while overseas from the resort saying my baby was at the vet, sick with bloody diarrhea and vomitting, and asked for my permission for treatment, which I gave. I didnt even think that was critical, until half an hour later the vet called me saying my baby had a cardia arrest, I instructed them to do whatever to save her. But unfortunately she passed away half an hour later. From her arrival at the vet till her death, it was only 1 hr 15 min! And I was shocked to learn, that the vet never got the treatment permission from the kennel, though they treated her straightaway without thr permission form signed anyways; and the kennel never left my contact details with the vet. The vet had to phone my dog's usual vet to get my phone number....im totally festroyed, as my baby was everything to me and she passed away one day short of her 3rd birthday...  she loved me so much, and im blaming myself every second for not being able to be there for her when she needed me the most. The kennel/pet resort is avoiding me, giving me trespassing notice, blaming the vet, and now accusing my baby was carrying parvo, which endangers her resort and threatening to take legal action! However, the truth ie we both knew my dog was vaccinated against parvo, which she saw the record. And thank god, the vet did a parvo test, which of course came back negative. I am considering an autopsy, but I cant even bear the thought of what she has to go through. Im mad, angry and devastated,  and I feel I cant even grieve in peace. Although the cause of illness is still unknown, but im angered by the attitude and the way the kennel handled the situation. If i could turn back time, if I knew, I would never ever leave her there..
Hi. First and foremost ... I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a dog under any circumstances is bad enough, but these were extraordinary circumstances, which I am sure makes you feel both angry and frustrated - and devastated and upset - all at the same time.

I doubt you will ever get to the truth about why your dog died. Clearly, there was a heart condition that was either already there - or was brought about by circumstances. A necropsy may help uncover a few things, which would certainly be useful if you are thinking of taking any action against the kennel owner(s). But to be honest, if your account of what happened is accurate, it should be enough to take them to court, because they acted in a chaotic and unprofessional manner. I would spend some time gathering any evidence you can, have the necropsy done if you can afford it, search for other reviews/experiences from people that have used the same kennels - and write a diary of events as concisely as you can and while you remember them.

None of this will bring your baby back. But it may help others and disclose an unprofessional kennels for the world to see.

Good luck. Tony
Thanks Tonyb286, much appreciated for your reply. I know i am at this stage that I feel so helpless and hopeless, but the support, understanding and kind words from you certainly give me strength. I know the necropsy might not be able to give me an certain answer, but I think I will go for one despite the cost. I feel I owe my baby an answer, and I will try my best to find it. Im just so gutted that the legislation for kennels is incomplete here in new zealand and there is no governing body for such insitutions that I can find. But no matter the result, I will try my best to search for an answer. I am saddened that my baby has to go through the pain and autopsy etc... but I hope she will know that I love her so so so much, and I would do anything for her if I could. I hope she is free and happy and well looked after in heaven. God knows, I miss her sooo much...
Hi again. I hope you will come back and let us know what the necropsy results are. I would certainly be interested. I think you are doing the right thing. The laws and regulations for kennels are bad just about everywhere in the world, but you would have thought some countries would be so much better. The UK (where I am) are equally appalling.

I don't know your exact location or much about New Zealand, but it may be worth you talking to a local newspaper about both your story and about the poor kennel regulation laws. Sometimes (I have been a freelance journalist in my long years on the planet) an avid reporter keen to find a story will take up your research for you and try to get to the bottom of things. It's worth a try at least. They won't tend to print anything that's unprovable, but sometimes they have access to official records, complaint lists and other data that may uncover something of a trend with the kennels in question.

My thoughts are with you. Tony
These posts have been such a comfort. My 8 year old wheaten terrier - Cooper- died yesterday. The only signs that something did not seem right was his refusal to go outside. I thought it may have been his fear of the wind or rain. He ended up pooping on the floor (very unusual) and then getting quite wobbly when he stood. He did not want to eat and did not respond to our commands- treat, here. This all took place yesterday. No signs previously except for a refusal to go outside the past few days. In fact, he had a routine appointment at the vet this past week which I had to cancel because I was so "busy". I did not realize he was so sick. Left him home yesterday to rest -with the plan to get him to the vet in the morning if he was not doing well.  Came home after watching my children's hockey game and a quick dinner.  Cooper was gone. We are devastated. Losing a pet suddenly is a pain like no other. We buried him in our yard with a few of his favorite things. Trying to help my children through their deep grief....thanks all for sharing your stories.
Hi. I am very sorry for your loss. Sudden death is devastating. I hope you and your family feel better in the coming days, though right now I'm sure you are all feeling the loss very deeply.

Run free Cooper.

Tony x