Sudden Death of "Healthy" Dog...
This is similar to other posts but slightly detailed so I'll post it:  Two weeks ago the day after Xmas, I came home and my 12yo Shepherd/mix was fine.  She was at least outwardly, a perfectly healthy and energetic dog for her age, and passed her yearly exam only two months earlier.

She went out and used the bathroom normally and came to the back door acting normally.  Then, I saw her lay upright on the ground and start a very very slow, deep, breathing.  She was not choking.  She would not drink water or look directly at me.  She then tried to stand and wobbled up, very unsteady, took a few steps, and her bowels emptied a large amount of stool (not watery, normal), onto the ground.  She walked a few feet more, laid down, rolled over, and breathed the deep, slow, heavy breathing for 3-4 minutes, and then, she died.  She did not seem to be in any apparent pain or panic/distress during the entire thing.  Once she passed, she was just staring forward, and her tongue was "twisted" slightly and hanging out.

We're devastated, as this was completely unexpected and sudden.  Now, on one board I saw one vet say that other vets that say it's a heart attack are "lazy", and that nothing can be even remotely concluded unless a necropsy is done - and even then maybe nothing will be known.   I find it hard to believe with decades of modern veterinary medicine behind us now, that there are no semi-conclusive answers out there since this is happening to quite a few people (?).   I realize without a necropsy there's no way to know 100%, but with the description I gave is it "reasonably safe" to assume this was some sort of sudden and powerful cardiac event, or, does it sound more like a stroke?    Thank you
I am so grateful that I found this site. My beloved 6yr old Golden Retriever suddenly died last week. My friend came to visit, and Tucker did his usual, crazy, happy run around the backyard. He fell at my feet and I was stroking his head and telling him to settle down, I realized that he was terribly still...and he was gone. He was healthy, well-exercised, well-fed and adored. My 17yr old son won't talk about him. Tucker was his best friend. and I can't stop wanting this to be a bad dream. I miss him so much. I'm glad that I found a place to talk to others who know exactly how I feel.  
First of all, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me last night with my 9 y.o. chijuajua Rocky. He was perfectly fine 24 hours ago. We let him outside before we laid down- He barked (as usual) He peed, then collapsed. he was literally out there for less than 2 minutes. This is the first  time we ever had to go through this. My family is so saddened by this. I keep asking myself, What Happened? Is this Real? Thank you all for posting these comments, It's comforting to know we are not alone. My heart goes out to all of you who have lost a beloved furry family member. This is extremely difficult to bear, If you haven't heard of Rainbow Bridge Poem, look it up. It's a tearful yet comforting poem for us. Thanks again.
Thanks to all of you for your heartfelt posts.  I lost my beloved sweet puggie girl, 8 years old, last night.  The same scenario.  She was perfectly healthy when we went for a little walk to visit a friend yesterday late afternoon-not too hot out.  She hung out on the lawn for a little (were there chemicals on the lawn?  I later found out that yes, it had been sprayed, but other dogs walked there and it didn't seem to be a problem).  We came home, she was fine and waiting for her dinner (the high point of her day)—suddenly she appeared startled, stared into space, tried to stand up and collapsed, her eyes bulged out and she collapsed in my arms and died.  I just kept repeating, "I don't understand" and I still don't.  She was such a sweet spirit and gave so much comfort and unconditional love to so many!  I feel her presence as I sit in my kitchen and I filled her food bowl this morning—one last time.  I will bring her ashes home tomorrow.  We have been truly blessed to have had these loving relationships that our memories will keep alive.
Similar case happend also with my dog. Dog was normal for walking, feeding and other activities. At 7:30 PM I gave food as her usual  time but she couldnot. When i try to eat best sweet food she take it with paracetamol. After that dog walk outside for urine extraction and came back drink water. After 5 minute later she cry two time and paralyze lags. Than i cath her but it was dead. I showked then without any symptom my lovely puppy of 3 moths was dead.
My baby Yoki, a black lab mix,  passed away 12 days ago and I am broken hearted & devastated.  She would have been 10 years old next month.  She was my constant companion and my best friend; I don't know how to go on without her.  I love her and miss her so much and there is a huge hole in my heart.  My daughter rescued Yoki from the animal shelter; my son, a high school senior at the time, was doing volunteer work at the shelter as part of his senior project requirement.  My daughter just had to have her, so I went and drove her home...within a few days, the excitement of a new pet wore off my daughter and Yoki became my dog; she was adopted on Christmas Eve 2003 and she was three months old, the last of her litter of siblings to find a home.

My three kids all finished school and moved away from home, so it became just me & Yoki.  She would sit in the window and wait for me to come home from work when we first got her and cry when I left the house.  She slept in my bed with her head on the pillow beside me and I'd wrap her up like she was a child.  She'd follow me everywhere in the house and when I mowed the lawn, she'd walk herself tired following me on the mower.  She was my protector and my alarm so even after I moved into the country, I didn't worry about anyone getting close to the house.

About a week before Yoki died, I noticed when she started barking, it sounded like she had something in her throat; she was known for chewing on a string then throwing it up so I assumed she had done it again and couldn't get it up.  But she ate well and went through her regular routine.  In fact, the last night before she stopped eating, she joined me to eat a snack of peanut butter on a bagel in the middle of the night.

The next morning, Tuesday, she kept coughing and she threw up some bloody substance, which I wiped up with a paper towel and took with me and her to the vet's office.  The vet told me he would sedate her and look down her throat and take xrays to see if he could find out the problem.  I left her for a few hours and then went back and got her.

The vet told me that he found puncture wounds on her windpipe.  He showed me her xray and said he thought she also had either cancer or a fungus in her lungs.  He said she had about a year to live and I should just prepare myself because she was 10 years old and was at her life expectancy. He said her blood work was pristine; I was stunned!   He gave me some antibiotic capsules and I  brought her home.   Yoki immediately went under the bed and stayed there.  Under my bed has always been her spot when she didn't want to be bothered with anyone.  She didn't eat,drink or go out to potty the rest of that night.  The next day, Wednesday, she drank some water and I got her to go out; she did relieve herself but she didn't eat anything.  I couldn't get her to take her medicine and by Thursday, I was worried because she seemed like she was having a hard time breathing.  

I went back to the vet and told them I couldn't get her to take the medicine in pill form so they offered to change it into liquid form and gave me something for pain (I thought her throat still hurt from the procedure) and also a liquid nutritional supplement since she wasn't eating.  By now she had not eaten, drank or went to the bathroom all day.  I got one dose of pain medicine in her mouth and she choked on it.  

A couple hours later, I went to the store and when I came home, Yoki was laying on the floor on my side of the bed panting heavily.  I knew it was the end; I cried out to the Lord and prayed for her suffering to end.  I rubbed her and prayed over her and a few minutes later, I went to put the groceries away that I had went for and heard her get up.  I looked into the room and she was slowly walking around the bed to go under to her spot, she always went under the bed on the opposite side of where I slept.  When she got to the foot of the bed, she staggered and moaned then fell against the footboard.  She turned and looked at me then her head went straight up as if she was looking at the ceiling.

I took her face in my hands and looked into her eyes and it was as if she looked through me, her eyes didn't look like my baby's eyes.  I took her head and laid it on the floor and went to call my boyfriend.  I was screaming into the phone.  Yoki laid there a few minutes, having convulsions.  My boyfriend came a few minutes later and went into the bedroom and talked to her.  He said Yoki looked at him when she heard his voice and then she was gone...

There was a pool of blood by her mouth.  I called the pet crematorium to come and get her; the man said she looked like she aspirated.  I can't believe she's gone.  I was shocked that the vet said she had a year to live and I was trying to get myself together to face in a year she would be gone but instead, she was gone in two days.  I can't stop crying.  

I feel guilty that I didn't take her to the vet when I first heard her coughing; I feel guilty that I didn't take her to a real animal hospital in the next state.  I live in a tiny town and I should have known it was going to go downhill when the vet told me he didn't know what that was on the xray.  I live 30 miles from the next state; they have a real animal hospital, I should have taken her there.  I feel guilty forcing the medicine down her throat when it was clear that she was in pain.  

For the first three days after Yoki passed, I stayed in the same clothes I had on the night she died; I didn't eat.  I have been sleeping on the couch since she passed away because, I can't sleep in my room.  I keep seeing her laying on the side of my bed before she collapsed and died under my footboard.  It just hurts so much.

I don't know how I will ever go on;  I cry for hours a lot of times.  Today, I was driving and started crying.  That was almost three hours ago and am crying while typing this.  I do have her ashes here with me but sometimes that makes me cry more.  I wonder if she knew how much I loved her and if she forgave me for not taking better care of her
Hello Greg and all,
   Last night my family lost our Bella a 11 month old golden retriever the same way yours passed. she was perfectly healthy she would always excercise and go running with me. we had the best organic shampoos and food and protected her with all our hearts. Our 3 year old daughter and her were like best friends, and our cat Mumble was like her older brother. she was the perfect dog and so smart and brought so much joy to our lives. it was 6pm 10/16/2013 i had just walked her and we were going to the movies and my mother in law had our daughter they were going to go to the store. we left the house and bella was fine in her usual spot in the crate. we were in the movie by 715 and thats when my mother in law called and said Bella was dead. we rushed home to find our poor Baby Bella laying down with two small pieces of regular looking feces and her tounge twisted and purple hanging outside her mouth. we were in total shock. our daughter had found her and opened the cage and kept saying come on Bella get up hurry up bella we are home. The hardest part is dealing with the fact that shes going to be gone forever, but on top of that as a husband and father i have to find extra strength to help my wife and daughter grieve. i know its none of our faults but my wife keeps asking me why us orlando why us out of all the dogs why us. it is very difficult but Khail Gibran comes to mind   -        
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.  
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
I never realized there are so many incidents where a seemingly perfectly healthy dog suddenly drops dead.  I recently lost my airedale terrier (just turned 9 years old) in just such an event.  Brought her to a new groomer and was home only for about an hour when I got a frantic call from the shop saying Rube was unresponsive and they were giving her CPR and to come down quick!  My husband and I raced to the shop (a 5 minute drive which seemed like hours) and when we got there they were carrying her to a car to transport to their animal hospital.  I hopped in the car with them and watched helplessly as the groomer (who is also a vet tech) gave her CPR as best she could in the cramped backseat.  It took what seemed like forever to get to the animal hospital.  Once there, she was whisked away to be worked on by the vet techs but the veterinarian tried to prepare us for the worst (5% chance of reviving her).  I think she was already gone before we got there. I am still grieving.

The emergency vet took an x-ray afterward and said she had an enlarged heart (left ventricle, I think he said it was).  He said a trip to the groomers --- no matter how used to being groomed she was --- could have still been stressful. He even gave me a disk with the x-ray to show our regular vet.  Our regular vet looked at the x-ray and said the heart was slightly enlarged but he could not say that was the cause.  He said she could have thrown a clot.  Let's face it, we will never know for sure.  About a month earlier she had had her teeth cleaned and passed her medical pre-op with flying colors.

The groomer of course felt awful.  She said they had given Rube a bath and then a "wet cut" (which they do before a final "dry" cut) and had put her back in her cage to start air drying.  I do not know how much time elapsed before someone noticed she had collapsed and urinated and her belly was blue.  I keep reliving that morning ---  how happily Rube had trotted on her leash through the parking lot.... how happily she greeted the groomer and her assistants (new friends!)... and then an hour later she was gone.

In hindsight, there was one possible clue that there might have been something brewing with her heart:   During the past year, Rube had two "episodes" where she seemed "out of it" for several days...like in a depressed state... not "with it" --  for example, I would find her standing in a room, not going anywhere, just standing there... for minutes on end...she just seemed "out of it."  We even took her to the vet where she promptly made liars out of us as she warmly greeted him (another friend!) --- So he never really saw what we were describing to him.  However, after she passed away I spent hours on the Internet researching heart disease in canines and found a list of 10 symptoms, one being lethargy or depression.  I am still angry that our vet never considered heart disease as a possible cause for Rube's symptoms.  Although maybe he did but did not find anything out of the ordinary in his physical examination of her.

I did not expect to have such a lengthy comment.  It has been two weeks since her passing.  I can talk about her now without breaking down (usually) but when I am alone with my thoughts it still hurts.
I lost my dog Lucy on Friday night, the 6th of December and I, like everyone else on this page, am completely devastated. Lucy was my baby girl. She was a 9 year old Rottie (I can't believe I'm writing 'was') and she was super-smart compared to our other dogs and completely devoted to me. My life has revolved around her, my routines, plans, worries and affection since the day we met. I feel like she's a huge part of who I am.

She had arthritis but was on Previcox and was really well on it. She was otherwise perfectly healthy and running around like a puppy. On Friday morning she did her usual in the autumn - found and made huge piles of leaves and then jumped into the centre looking up at me for me I kick them.

On Friday night I met my friend and her dog as usual for an evening walk. Lucy greeted everybody in her kitchen as normal and gently jumped up a little to take a biscuit from my friend's daughter. Within 10 seconds her head went down and she started moving with a strange wave like action down her body. I thought she was going to be sick but deep down I knew something terrible was happening. I took her out of the kitchen as I thought she might be too hot and might need to be sick. She made it down the back steps and then just stood there. I put my had out to comfort her which she always wanted no matter how sick she might feel but she recoiled away from me, then her body spasmed, her head pointed way up to the sky, her tongue fell out the side and she let out an awful whine, then she collapsed. I screamed and my friends husband tried to revive her. I thought she might have choked on the biscuit so I stuck my hand into her throat but there was nothing there so i pulled her tongue out to clear the airway. Within 20 seconds she had stopped breathing and after another couple of torturous twitches she was gone.

I took her to the vet in desperation but they said it was likely a heart attack.

I feel so cheated. She was enjoying life so much and she had so much more to enjoy with me before we had to start weighing up options.

She had her yearly check up and vaccinations on just Tuesday and everything was fine but we had a new vaccine and the stress of giving her the kennel cough was really high and now I'm worried that visit has weakened some underlying condition.

It does help to read other people's posts and know that Lucy is not alone.
I lost my beautiful Maggie, 9 year golden retriever, on Dec. 2, 2013.  She was healthy, happy, and having a great romp through the woods where we walk.
She was running along with another dog, bumped into his side (not hard at all) and fell to her left. Perhaps all of 2 feet down a hill. I was right there. Saw it all. I jumped down next to her but somehow I knew she was dead. Maggie let out one big sigh, and died.
So horrible....she was my very best friend and companion.
This is the first time I've been on the web...decided to see if anyone else had a similar experience, and I found this page right off the bat.
I am so sorry for all of you, and for me. But your stories above made me realize that this is not uncommon. It is just such a shock. Thank you for sharing your stories. We are not alone, are we?
my dog moo died today the day after christmas and seem to of had the same signs as a lot of your be loved pets i thought he had been poisoned but after reading all of your loses i dont think thats what happened and i wont ever no what really happened the only thing i had seen him do in the past he loved his ball and a couple of times while i was playing with him he had got drowsy and looked like he was drunk i stoped him sat  him down got him some water and five minutes later he was fine the vet said he was over excited so i dont no if it had something to do with it or not he did not do it before he past that i no because we found in the morning when we woke up im sorry for every ones lose and i feel all your pain i have not stoped cry all day  
Hello. I am truly sorry for your loss, particularly at this time of the year when grief seems that much more intense. The sudden death of a beloved best friend is hard to take in. Sadly, our dogs never live as long as we would like. But in their short lives, they manage to fill it with adventure, loyalty, love, compassion and boundless energy - all thanks to the owners that care for them. Run free Moo. Tony
Hi , our dog just died suddenly.  He was always eating the worst stuff( feces , underwear etc..) but he never showed any illness. I am just shocked as the day after christmas he  just got up and pooped on our floor, no whining to go out or anything. After we let him out I was waiting for him to appear at the door to come back in, when he didn't I whistled for him and when that did'nt bring him in I became concerned as this was not typical .  Then I found him in our woods with his tongue twisted and still warm.  I am still in shock.. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. I was wondering if all of you posting could tell me what dog food your dog eats.. Just trying to find some comonality here.
Hi. I am very sorry for your loss. If allowed to, dogs will sometimes eat some fairly disgusting and quite dangerous stuff. It's in their nature to scavenge on almost anything edible. But ... some of the things they will eat are not good for them and can cause blockage, bloat and trauma to the esophagus and digestive tract. In some cases, blockages can be fatal. This is one of several possibilities with your dog. The twisted tongue is indicative of a seizure, which may also have occurred due to internal trauma or also possibly a heart attack.

The truth is, without further investigation, you may never know what actually happened.

My condolences to you. Sudden death is hard to take in at first, and particularly at this time of the year. Tony
My beloved baby Roxie died suddenly on new year's eve.  She was a 12yr old daschund.  A few day's before that she was perfectly fine running around and begging for treats as she always did.  two days before she died she started laying around more than normal and started eating and drinking less.  Then I noticed she had labored breathing while she slept.  The next morning she was panting heavier so I called the vet right away and got her in.  He took an dray and said he could see fluid around her heart and was the beginning of heart disease.  He said her heartbeat was beating fast but the rhythm and everything else sounded fine.  He said she would need to be on medication the rest of her life but she should start feeling better soon as he had given her a shot of lasik to get the fluid out.  Intook her home.  She walked over to sit on her favorite blanket.  After a couple minutes she just raised her head, looked over at me and her head just fell back.  I ran over to her and she had passed.  I wasn't sure because I was so shocked.  I wrapped up her up and brought her back to the vet immediately but she was gone.  He said most likely it was a heart attack.  I am in such shock and have been crying non stop ever since.  My sweet husband and son have been trying to console me but they are hurting too,  this little dog had such a profound impact on our lives.  She was my soul mate and was such a beloved member of our family.  I don't know how start living normally again.  This morning I started doing research and started reading all the comments from others who have lost their beloved perts as well and thought it might help me if I shred my story.  I have never participated in any type of social media so this is unusual for me.   I feel horrible reading everyone elses sad stories but I do think sharing does help.    
Hello. I am pleased you found us here, though I am saddened at the circumstances. I am very sorry for your loss. I am as certain as I can be that your vet is right, this was a heart attack, which means there was nothing you or anyone else could have done to prevent it. Unfortunately, when symptoms are not present (as in Roxie's case), it means things could have been happening slowly for quite a long time, but no one would have or could have known.

She had lived to a good age. I know that's not consoling, but it's a fact. And I can tell by your posted message that she had lived a fabulous life, rich in love and kindness, and part of a wonderful family. If she could, she would thank you for everything you gave her, including the adventures, compassion, affection and companionship. What dog could ask for more.

Run free Roxie. Tony x
Yes, welcome to the Forum.  You are among friends and many who have shared the sadness if your loss.  I am so sorry and understand your grieving.  

Most  likely a heart attack but, if it is any comfort, at least your little one didn't't suffer from some chronic disease or cancer.  

I read something recently that said that our pets come into our lives to teach us to love.  When they leave us, they teach us about loss.  

How lucky Roxie was to be so loved so much for 14 years.  Happy memories will return.

Hugs to you and your family
Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am comforted as much as I can be that she didn't suffer.  It would kill me to see her suffer.  I tried to give her the best life and most love I could.  Her love for me is just something I have never felt.  I know my husband and kids love me but Roxie really made me a better person and taught me to love better and sweeter.  She got me through very difficult times.  Roxie was our first dog.  My husband was never an animal lover and was very resistant to get her in the first place but Roxie completely changed him.  He grew to love her like I did and is grieving more than he has for his aunts and uncles that have passed.  I just can't believe she is gone.   Thank you again for your kind words.
My beloved pug Annabelle, died Christmas Eve Day.  I rescued her when she was between 1-2 years old. She became  my constant companion and best friend.   Today marks a month since she passed. She had had a cough and then a urinary infection,which was being treated for by her vet. And yes, she seemed to be slowing down, breathing on occasion more heavily than usual, she didn't play with her toys as she use to, but was still her feisty little self. Happily ate her meals, loved going out  and taking our walks though they were  not as long a walk as when  she was  a pup. She had trouble seeing. She slept more than usual, and not always with me as she use to. She loved her new bed which I bought her before Christmas.  I knew she was getting older and slowing down but didn't realize she was as old as the vet told me after she died. He said, 11- or 12. I keep asking myself, why didn't I realize this.  I cannot conceive being without her, it is incredibly painful. On that fateful day,  we went for a walk, she did her business, and walking back home,  I lifted her up to play in leaves, which she loved, she was happily sniffing.  After a few minutes, I climbed up the small embankment and said, "Sweetheart time to go inside now". I started picking her up and as soon as I did, she bolted out of my arms, and  fell to the ground and didn't get up.  I said, "Annabelle come, get up,  she was staring at me with her beautiful brown eyes. she didn't move.  I picked her up , held her in my arms, she twitched once, she was gone.   In disbelief I  yelled for help,   Her tongue now hanging out of her mouth  staring  wide-eyed at me. I'll never forget that look. I kept thinking maybe she's in shock, I'll get her to the vet. Maybe she's in a coma, anything but dead   I was in shock, disbelief, one minute she is sniffing  leaves, the next minute lying lifeless in my arms.  The vet later told me she most likely had an arrythmia, a "sudden death".  I will never forget her eyes and lifeless little body. I pray she didn't suffer, it happened so suddenly and I  am grateful I was holding her.  I pray she heard me and didn't die alone.   She was very special and will live forever in my heart.  I am crying as I write this.  She was my little girl. She taught me patience, tolerance and so much more.  She brought me happiness and joy. I am forever indebted to her.
Like all of the posts here it is incredibly sad to lose a beloved pet, we must be grateful for the time they gave us and the time we spent with them, loving them and they loving us. How lucky we've been to have  had that experience They gave us a better life for having had  them in our lives.  I keep thinking of the words, "To everything there is a season, a time to live, a time to die."  Our pets only fault is that they usually die before we do. May we all be re-united with them one day.
God Bless us all.    
Great comments here. I needed this tonight. Lost my best friend yesterday. Bailey was a very happy, healthy, fun loving 18.5 year old Cockapoo. Don't really understand what happened, but I'm thinking it was heart related. The day before she was running & playing with our kids. No issue at all. The morning of was normal. Went outside to do her business, came back in got some breakfast then went back down to take a nap after we all left for school and work. Wife went out to store for a hour or so. Came back to see my best friend still sleeping the same way when she left. But she was gone.

As I sit here and type this, all I can think about is that I hope she is happy, well fed, and not missing me as much as I miss her. God bless you Bailey, you have changed my life & our kids, your sisters.

Until we meet again my friend.  Big hugs Bailey!!! XOX!
Hello. I am so very sorry for your loss. What a fantastic age Bailey reached. You must have been so attentive to her over the years, cared for health issues and doted on her that she stayed so long. Although I can only imagine how grief stricken you must be, in many ways, the way Bailey passed was so peaceful and gentle and very natural ... what better way to go, if anyone has to go at all. Bailey went to sleep in her own bed, in her own home, with all those that loved her doing their usual things, like nothing was amiss. She just didn't waken from her slumber.

You are likely to be right, it was probably a heart attack, and probably very sudden. She would probably not have known anything was wrong, otherwise I think she would have been out of her bed.

Run free Bailey. Cyber hugs to you and your family. Tony
Hello again. It's been a while since Roxie left and I was just wondering how you are doing. Sometimes grief creeps up on us, although usually it eases with time. I am sure you have had moments when tears have arrived without warning, and then subsided, and I hope these occasions have become less over the last three months.

Still thinking about you ... and remembering how Roxie changed your lives for the better.

Cyber hugs. Tony x
Hello. Time has now passed from that dreadful day, when you lost Annabelle. For whatever reason, the forum didn't post your thread at the time to me, so I have only just caught up with it. I hope you are still on the forum and have got some comfort from it. Although losing Anabelle must have been dramatic and dreadful, particularly at that time of the year, she passed quickly and with you at her side. Grief sometimes takes a long time to dissipate, and as the months roll forward, normal routines can take over - yet, out of the blue, we can find ourselves deep in grief again, without warning. Thankfully, there is this forum and the wonderful people on it when these times occur. There is comfort in a shared experience, and many here understand how the loss of a best friend can impact on a human life.

I hope your own grief has eased by now - I just wanted to connect with you and pass on my condolences. Tony
I am somewhat comforted by what I've read here. Our mastiff died suddenly  2 days ago much like most of your described. He was 8 years old and though he had lost a lot of weight seemed perfectly healthy. We had checked for worms because he was so thin but he didn't have them. He ate normally, was active and happy. He had been walking around the yard and my husband came inside to fix him and our other dog dinner. We heard a horrid sounding moan and I looked out the back door to see him laying on his side not moving. I called for my husband who went outside in time to see him take a couple deep breaths and just like that he was gone. We are of course, heartbroken and confused just like you all have said. Wondering if he got in to poison or something. After reading these posts I am more convinced that he had a heart attack or maybe had a blood clot. It kind of helps to know that this does happen and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it.
Hello and welcome to the forum, though obviously I am saddened by the circumstances. Sudden death is very hard on owners, because we often try second-guessing what happened, whether we could have done something to prevent it and we feel shocked at the sudden loss. Of course, for your best friend, it was the best way to go - if he had to go. You are right, it was most probably a heart attack and therefore very quick.

I am very sorry for your loss, but try to remember that your best friend had 8 wonderful years, full of love and adventure, thanks to you both. Not all dogs are so fortunate ... and if he could, he would thank you for giving him a fabulous life and for sharing it with him.

Tony x
How much heart break.  I read all the posts.  So sad.  My little Rat Terrier Nina passed away suddenly over a year ago. She had the best food, regular vet visits, daily exercise and tones of love.  There hasn't been a day since that I don't think about her.  She was 6 years old.  Plus, I have awful nightmares in which somehow she died because of something I did or didn't do.  Somehow deep inside I feel I failed her.  What did I miss?  Could I have done something different?  I loved her so very much. I feel devasted for not having said goodbye to her.  I didn't know she was dying!  I was in disbelief as it happened in front of my eyes.  I just crashed.  After all, she was healthy and happy.  I always thought of Nina as my soulmate, to my husband's dismay and reply: what about me?  We have adopted 2 more Ratties since and they are loved and spoiled, but Nina never leaves my thoughts.  
Hi. The sudden loss of a beloved pet dog is devastating and invades our lives for months and sometimes years after the event. Grief takes us all in different ways and to different degrees. I am very sorry you still feel traumatized, a year later, but this is very normal and not uncommon. I would urge you to read my article about the loss of a dog, it may help: http://www.infobarrel.com/When_a_Pet_Dog_Dies

Tony
I came across this forum as I was searching for answers for the loss of my own baby...and I just couldnt stop crying while reading all your posts and thinking about my dearest little one gone too soon. My perfectly healthy happy almost 3 year old toy poodle passed away at a pet resort/kennel while I was overseas for holiday. I dropped her off at the pet resort and the last thing I said to her was "have a good time". Only 5 days later, I got a call while overseas from the resort saying my baby was at the vet, sick with bloody diarrhea and vomitting, and asked for my permission for treatment, which I gave. I didnt even think that was critical, until half an hour later the vet called me saying my baby had a cardia arrest, I instructed them to do whatever to save her. But unfortunately she passed away half an hour later. From her arrival at the vet till her death, it was only 1 hr 15 min! And I was shocked to learn, that the vet never got the treatment permission from the kennel, though they treated her straightaway without thr permission form signed anyways; and the kennel never left my contact details with the vet. The vet had to phone my dog's usual vet to get my phone number....im totally festroyed, as my baby was everything to me and she passed away one day short of her 3rd birthday...  she loved me so much, and im blaming myself every second for not being able to be there for her when she needed me the most. The kennel/pet resort is avoiding me, giving me trespassing notice, blaming the vet, and now accusing my baby was carrying parvo, which endangers her resort and threatening to take legal action! However, the truth ie we both knew my dog was vaccinated against parvo, which she saw the record. And thank god, the vet did a parvo test, which of course came back negative. I am considering an autopsy, but I cant even bear the thought of what she has to go through. Im mad, angry and devastated,  and I feel I cant even grieve in peace. Although the cause of illness is still unknown, but im angered by the attitude and the way the kennel handled the situation. If i could turn back time, if I knew, I would never ever leave her there..
Hi. First and foremost ... I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a dog under any circumstances is bad enough, but these were extraordinary circumstances, which I am sure makes you feel both angry and frustrated - and devastated and upset - all at the same time.

I doubt you will ever get to the truth about why your dog died. Clearly, there was a heart condition that was either already there - or was brought about by circumstances. A necropsy may help uncover a few things, which would certainly be useful if you are thinking of taking any action against the kennel owner(s). But to be honest, if your account of what happened is accurate, it should be enough to take them to court, because they acted in a chaotic and unprofessional manner. I would spend some time gathering any evidence you can, have the necropsy done if you can afford it, search for other reviews/experiences from people that have used the same kennels - and write a diary of events as concisely as you can and while you remember them.

None of this will bring your baby back. But it may help others and disclose an unprofessional kennels for the world to see.

Good luck. Tony
Thanks Tonyb286, much appreciated for your reply. I know i am at this stage that I feel so helpless and hopeless, but the support, understanding and kind words from you certainly give me strength. I know the necropsy might not be able to give me an certain answer, but I think I will go for one despite the cost. I feel I owe my baby an answer, and I will try my best to find it. Im just so gutted that the legislation for kennels is incomplete here in new zealand and there is no governing body for such insitutions that I can find. But no matter the result, I will try my best to search for an answer. I am saddened that my baby has to go through the pain and autopsy etc... but I hope she will know that I love her so so so much, and I would do anything for her if I could. I hope she is free and happy and well looked after in heaven. God knows, I miss her sooo much...
Hi again. I hope you will come back and let us know what the necropsy results are. I would certainly be interested. I think you are doing the right thing. The laws and regulations for kennels are bad just about everywhere in the world, but you would have thought some countries would be so much better. The UK (where I am) are equally appalling.

I don't know your exact location or much about New Zealand, but it may be worth you talking to a local newspaper about both your story and about the poor kennel regulation laws. Sometimes (I have been a freelance journalist in my long years on the planet) an avid reporter keen to find a story will take up your research for you and try to get to the bottom of things. It's worth a try at least. They won't tend to print anything that's unprovable, but sometimes they have access to official records, complaint lists and other data that may uncover something of a trend with the kennels in question.

My thoughts are with you. Tony
These posts have been such a comfort. My 8 year old wheaten terrier - Cooper- died yesterday. The only signs that something did not seem right was his refusal to go outside. I thought it may have been his fear of the wind or rain. He ended up pooping on the floor (very unusual) and then getting quite wobbly when he stood. He did not want to eat and did not respond to our commands- treat, here. This all took place yesterday. No signs previously except for a refusal to go outside the past few days. In fact, he had a routine appointment at the vet this past week which I had to cancel because I was so "busy". I did not realize he was so sick. Left him home yesterday to rest -with the plan to get him to the vet in the morning if he was not doing well.  Came home after watching my children's hockey game and a quick dinner.  Cooper was gone. We are devastated. Losing a pet suddenly is a pain like no other. We buried him in our yard with a few of his favorite things. Trying to help my children through their deep grief....thanks all for sharing your stories.
Hi. I am very sorry for your loss. Sudden death is devastating. I hope you and your family feel better in the coming days, though right now I'm sure you are all feeling the loss very deeply.

Run free Cooper.

Tony x
Kimmy, My 11 yr old black lab mix just died yesterday.  Sounds like the same thing.  I was trying to find answers as to why.  He was fine at 630 and at 930.  But he woke me from a sound sleep at 1145 with that loud, painful sounding howl.  3 Howls.  We all ran outside where he was laying in his doghouse.  His tongue was also hanging out.  We thought maybe a seizure, although he had never had one before.  After about 1 minute, he gasped for air 3 times and was gone.  My heart is broken.  Couldn't understand how a perfectly healthy dog can be gone so suddenly.
labmixmom,
I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about your boy.
You must feel very shocked, and filled with questions.
How could that happen? What could have been wrong with a completely healthy dog?

I really do not know. I think many vets wouldn't be certain either. It's a thought that he might have had a heart attack.
The only way to know for certain would be to have a necropsy (autopsy) done. But I am not necessarily recommending you do. It will be upsetting, won't bring him back, and will cost you.
However, it would almost certainly answer your questions.

I am so sorry. Bless him, and my heart goes out to you.
My sincere condolences to you. Losing a best friend is heartbreaking, particularly when you don't know what or why it happened. It sounds like whatever occurred, it occurred quickly, which is a blessing. I hope your heart feels easier and calmer in the coming days and weeks. Tony
Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know if this might help you or not, but many years ago, as part of emergency medical technician [EMT] training, we all took a bus trip to the Philadelphia morgue for a day with the pathologist. We watched several autopsies in person after an hour or so long video presentation and teaching. There was a 12 year old child who had died at her birthday party because she had been blowing up a balloon when it broke and she inhaled a tiny bit of the rubber, which sealed off her trachea [breathing tube], suffocating her. I think it's possible that your sweet dog inhaled a piece of the plastic bag. Being soft and flexible, it would conform to the inside of the trachea and seal it off. There was another poster here whose dog died with a Beggin Strips bag over her head, and she couldn't understand why her dog couldn't remove the bag, as it wasn't tight on her face. After death it wouldn't be, but when she was gasping, it would be plastered to her face by the vacuum her gasping created. Plastic bags and balloons and similar things are deadly to pets and people. [At the pathologists we also saw video of a MAN who had suffocated with a plastic bag over his head, and balloons are the cause of death for many sea turtles, as the balloons float high, then are carried by winds, eventually landing in the sea, where they are eaten by sea creatures who mistake them for jellyfish.] Please, everyone here, be wary of these bags and balloons. It's heartbreaking when anyone dies. Thank you, Lynn
I too lost my healthy dog on Dec 21st. Sparky was a Bichon, had just turned 10 and had no chronic ailments. By all accounts his lifespan should have been 4 to 6 more years. I am one of those dog moms who keeps up with all vaccinations/fecal/heartworm tests, did monthly heartworm and flea/tick meds, will take my dog in to the vet because something just doesn't seem right, got him groomed monthly, and even brushed his teeth daily, so he was well taken care of. That evening he ate normally, took a walk,played with our new puppy, took a short snooze, and inexplicably collapsed when he got up from it. Same symptoms as described by so many...no cries of distress, ran and hid under the table, stared straight forward, deep slow breathing. We rushed him to the ER vet and arrived within 10 minutes of the onset of symptoms, but his heart stopped on the way there. Efforts to revive him with injected meds,CPR and ventilation were unsuccessful.  We chose not to do a necropsy because it wasn't going to change anything. The ER vet did say that heart attacks & strokes are fairly uncommon in dogs, and added when it happens so quickly it is usually an embolism (blood clot) which has traveled silently to the heart or lungs. That being the case, there was no way for us to know in advance and also most likely nothing they could have done to save him even if he had suffered the event right in the ER.
Sparky was our heart, our 4-legged kid, and loved by all who met him. I have decided to trust that God simply needed him back. I share your sadness and hope our babies have met up and are enjoying their new lives at the rainbow bridge while they wait for us.  
I lost my 2 year old , golden lab this way . We have a big yard and she was always so playful and active . Her diet was good . She was never sick , and just the best and healthiest dog there could be . One afternoon she was in our large backyard , running round and round the perimeter of the fence . Full speed . It was quite a sight ! She then came inside , lay down on the kitchen floor , breathing 3 breaths , and then suddenly died !

There were no signs or symptoms . She was fine and in a moment was gone . My grandparents were having lunch at the table and I'd never seen my grandfather cry . He cried strong , but we were all heartbroken and shocked . It happened so suddenly and without cause . She was still just a pup .

I am struggling with the same exact issue and am desperate to know how I can find out if my dog, Buddy a black lab that meant more than words could ever say. I have had problems with a particular individual my son was involved with and a result I have had property damage caused by her. I found a strange looking like a miniture 'dog treat' in my yard and I want it looked at, but not sure where to go to have it checked. It's been 3 months since he passed and I'm not sure if the vet saves blood samples that long. My husband does not want me think that he may be poisoned, but she has done some very evil things. I know I am heart broken terribly by Buddy's loos, but I can't get it off my mind. Would anyone know where I can go to have this 'treat' I found in the yard looked at. Thank you
I can only guess but maybe where they do autopsy for animals??? At least ask, it's a start.
I am so sorry to read this post however I do understand your pain. You gave her a good safe happy and healthy life.
Thankyou for the Costa Rican saying. We had 10 great years with Prince, our Lab/Kelpie cross but 4 days ago after a normal day he lay down in the garden bed in the morning sun and went to sleep. 30 minutes later he didn't answer our daughter's call. The shock reverberated throughout our family and it is some cold comfort to know this sudden death of our fur babies is not all that uncommon.  We are thankful he didn't have to suffer the pain and indignity of old age with its associated infirmities and passed away in his sleep in the sun. Would that we could all have such a peaceful end.
My dog died in this way tonight. I am totally grief stricken. There was NO warning. I woke to him in a kind of seizure followed by several more. I knew in moments that he was dying. I held him and watched him go. It all happened so fast and I felt completely helpless. I took him to the Vet ER and while his eyes were glassy and wouldn't close, his body seemed to still be moving (I gather now that was simply the body dying). They confirmed his death, and I left him there after holding him and saying good bye. I have been up all night in complete shock. There were NO signs. All was sweet and well when we went to bed. I have found comfort here in reading your post. Thank you.
Hello. I am so sorry for your loss. When things happen so quickly, there's no time to prepare and the grief comes like a rollercoaster. I have lost a dog that way too, some years ago. It's a horrible thing. But, in some ways, it's a nicer way for them to go ... sudden death means no lingering illness or pain for them and although we are left in complete shock and are grief-stricken, their passing was swift. I hope ver the coming days and weeks, your pain eases, and you can come to a place where you can remember him during happier times.

You are in my thoughts.

Tony
I had a doberman pinchsher,he was 2.2 years old and was probably the healthiest doberman i could ever think of.Yesterday(26th) i was upstairs following my daily routine and my dog(tyke) was downstairs in the basement.After a while i decided to see him so i went downstairs and i saw what i feared the most.There he was lying lifeless.His bowels had passed some stools(which were normal) n he had his eyes open,tounge a bit twisted and out and was blue.He was the healthiest dog in my area and was famous for his athletic build.I dont know what in the world happened to him.
My 7 year old Lhasa just died of a cardiac arrest. I mean a healthy 7 year old's heart just stopped when he was on his evening walk. Is it even possible? How can there be no symptoms? I never noticed anything wrong with him. He played with other pets, had his favourite biscuits. Went on a walk and just collapsed while walking.He was gone within seconds.  How is this possible? There was suppose to be an indication. Has anyone heard of this before?
Hi. First of all I am so sorry for your loss. I really do feel your pain. My beautiful 8 yrs 3 month old yellow golden Labrador retriever Harvey passed away so suddenly 5 weeks ago. We are all absolutely devestated he was a huge part of the family so loving and loyal and he was such a character. Harvey was fit and healthy(would never eat rubbish which is very strange for dogs our boy knew what was bad for him bless him) he had big muscly back legs and just the perfect stance. He was so hyperactive & bouncy his whole life, he went on like he was a puppy. 6 months previously he was diagnosed with arthritis in both his front legs which was controlled very well with small dose of loxicom and tramadol. He also took up hydrotherapy which the vet recommended and he absolutely loved it, every week on a Sunday he would be waiting in the morning for us to take him. The day before he passed the Sunday he had a rest from swimming because his hydrotherapist had to cancel as she was ill, we would of never of thought the previous week would be his last swim. For years and years next doors or other cats from the area would come in our garden or walk across the conservatory which wound Harvey up. He would be lying down relaxing in the dining room next to the conservatory getting the breeze from the back door as we always left it open for an hour before bedtime so he could be clean. When he seen or heard the cats he would jump up, bark & chase them in the garden, we were always telling him to leave the cats bless him but no he wouldn't listen it was almost like a game to him and the cats probably. The day after he was meant  to go swimming at about 9:45pm we heard him jump up ran extra fast out into the conservatory then out into the garden then let out a very high pitched yelp. Me my mum & my boyfriend ran downstairs into the garden & Harvey was just lying there on his side front legs out straight. His mouth moved a little for like ten seconds then he did a tiny growl and he was gone. We picked him up and rushed him to the vets within approximately 7 minutes, when we arrived at the vets Harvey's tongue was blue hanging out the side of his mouth eyes wide open ;( the vet said he had suffered a heart attack ;( Harvey never had any heart problems he had an ecg 6 months previously when he had xray which picked up his arthritis and we were actually told by the vet how he had such a strong heartbeat! The last 5 weeks have been pure hell, we are all still in total shock. I felt guilty at first because I know cpr and I couldn't help but think I could of saved him but when it happened we didn't know what was happening, it all happened so quick, we didn't know it was a heart attack, in fact that was the last thing I thought it was ;( Losing your beloved pet so suddenly and in a tragic way like you and I have is the worse thing ever, life is so cruel ;(
I am sorry for your loss. I am posting this because I too lost my best friend on new years day this year.  Reading these posts gives me some comfort in knowing that this sudden death can happen.  My 7 1/2 year old husky woke up that morning and was completely normal.  She came in the house for a quick bit then I let her back outside.  I went out to go shovel snow no longer then 20 min after I let her out and there she was lifeless on the driveway. Eyes open tounge out and had emptied her bladder.  My heart is broken from this sudden shock. Me and my wife are devestated.
Our dog Molly almost 5 years old and in very good health died less than one month after taking her first dose of NexGard. Frontline topical was given previously without any issues.
It is possible that NexGard reacted with something else in our yard such as mulch, other bad water in tray of potted plants, etc. But she did this previously without any bad effects. The only thing that changed  was one dose of NexGard.
Molly was walked, and/ or run daily,  was not overweight and high energy wanting to do something constantly even up to the end. She was given her heart med on schedule and fed only Science Diet dog food. We treated her very carefully. Convinced NexGard had something to do with her sudden death. DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG NEXGARD.
I've just come across this site and read through I lost my buddy boy a black lab yesterday he was 15 years and 9 months which I know was a good age but nothing can prepare you for the loss he was at the bottom of the stairs yesterday morning whining like he did every morning for us to get up he was pleased to see us wagging his tail and went out into the garden to do his business he came in and ate his breakfast and went back out to garden and came back in and settled back on his bed we said goodbye to him and went off to work I was due to have yesterday off but someone had lost there nan so couldn't work when I returned home buddy had passed he had done a normal stool but there was a pinky fluid as if he had been sick by his mouth his eyes were open and also his mouth, he never showed any symptoms of anything he was a bit dodgery on his back legs but was still playing with my son and walking and eating and genuinely enjoying life so it was so unexpected and the guilt I feel of not being there with him and he died alone will live with me forever my heart is broken and the house feels so empty he was the best dog anyone could of wished for I know we all say that he was my loyal companion and a family member I know everyone says time is a healer but I can't see that
After reading all theses post  I can not relieve how often this happen. We lost our beloved Annie 4 days ago. She was fine when I came home from work at 10 pm my husband took her out at 3:30 she was fine At 6:45 he heard her thump on the bed so he went to take her out and she was walking like she was drunk. She did her business and usually she shoots across the yard when she does that but she did not so he went out to find her spread eagle she could not walk. He woke me p to say something was wrong with Baby(her nickname) 10 min later she was dead. Like other said she did not think she was a dog. You could walk her with no leash. People could not believe she would not run away. Even people who did not like animals loved her She was one special girl RIP Miss Annie