Dogs Community
Sudden loose skin around dogs neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Sudden loose skin around dogs neck

3050618?1213745239
Hello there-
Today I was petting my 5 year old, female Lab and there is some loose skin around her neck.It wasn't there yesterday. It didn't seem painful when I touched it to see what it was. It felt like a deflated water balloon, not full, but not empty, either. What could this be?
Is it an obvious "lump"? Where on the neck?
Are you sure it wasn't there before? That maybe a certain way she was sitting or laying now has made it more pronounced? Any bite mark or redness under the fur in that area?

Dogs get quite a lot of fluid filled cysts. Some can be quite large.
They can also get swollen glands just like humans, when fighting an infection.

With so very many types of lumps/bumps dogs can get I would make an app. for the vet. They may just do a needle aspiration/biopsy in the office to see what type of fluid is in there and go from there.
They also get hematoma's.... blood filled "pillows" so to speak. But these are generally on the ears.
Could she have possibly gotten "hit" in that area? Like running around playing rough and ran into something? And maybe it's just a swollen muscle?
So many possibilities........but with lumps/bumps it's best to have it looked at. And if it continues to get larger quickly I would get her in ASAP.

Take care ; )

I just see the pic you posted......I would deffinitley get her in to the vet. If this is something that you know for sure just happened, it could be glands, allergic reaction to  a bite or something, etc... If it grows any throughout the evening, like it's filling with fluid quickly,  I would go to an emergency vet.

Please keep us posted!

Take care, and give your baby a big hug and smooch ; )
I'm going to keep an eye on it tonight. Come to think of it, something similiar happened when she was a pup. She got stung by a wasp on the side of her face and it was swollen pretty badly. She likes to play with bee's and wasps, so she may have gotten stung again.  If it's any worse tomorrow, I'll take her into the vet.
If she plays with bug-a-boos often and gets bites  Benedryl does help quite a lot with the inflammation/swelling (and itchies) Especially in the throat area, where the swelling inside can affect her swallowing etc..  Usually it's about 1mg per pound. But I have a dog who is about 70lbs and I give him 2 -25mg tablets. He has bad allergies. Just the regular benedryl, not the stuff with added ingredients. It can make them a bit sleepy.

If she takes any other types of meds  you have to check about any interactions. But Benedryl/antihistamines are quite safe in general. Just some other meds don't mix well.  You can call and ask your vet first, just so you know for next time if that is what it is.

How is she today?
I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering if you ever figured out what the loose skin was?  Yesterday my dog developed this and I have no idea what it could be!  Thanks for you help, if you see this!