Dogs Community
Sudden muscle weakness & Diahrea

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Sudden muscle weakness & Diahrea

This morning I went to let my dogs outside and I found my 4.5lb yorkie basically swimming in diahrea. I took him outside, cleaned the crate and then bathed him. During the bath I noticed that it appears he has drastically lost weight, without change to his appetite or diet, since his last bath. Then once I dried him and turned him loose he could barely walk! He has shaking limbs, poor cordination, he cant do the steps this morning, and when he tried to lay down he gets halfway through and then collapses. I have a call into our vet and am awaiting a call back, I have also been offering fresh water to fend off dehydration. He also doesnt appear to be in pain which seems wierd to me but I am grateful. Does anyone else have any suggestions while I await the vet?
Tags: muscle weakness, Weight Loss, diahrrea
No help on what to do the relieve the situation, but seeing the vet and keeping the dog hydrated is the right first-things-first.

I think it a good idea to think and look carefully to see it you dog has eaten anything he should not have. Also be prepared to state what it eats and how much, as well as any other past similar experiences.

If the vet finds some stomach virus problem, then you know what to do.  If not that or some other thing that can be clinically defined, then it becomes a detective operation to try to find something that set it off - and to be sure something problematic isn't within his reach.

You mention crate, does the dog normally sleep  in his crate?  Door open or closed?  Ask just to try to quantify - if he sleeps in  a closed crate then he surely didn't get into cleaning liquid or other problem during his sleep time.
How old is your dog?  Is he up to date with his vaccinations?  Have you recently taken him anywhere that he has never been before?  Have you fed him ANY type of human food recently, and if so, what kind?  

Please post back after you have seen the vet and let us know what transpired.

Ghilly