Dogs Community
Suffocated Puppy, aspirate pneumonia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Suffocated Puppy, aspirate pneumonia?

I found one of my 1 day old puppys, lifeless this morning after her mom had layed on her, it hadn't been to long before.  I began rubbing her vigorously, swinging her down as though trying to bring her to life after a c-section. She coughed up milk, thank goodness she was alive!!  Milk came out her mouth and nose, I cleared it the best I could. Now almost 12 hrs later, you can't even tell it happened. She's nursing, sleeping, acts the same as all the rest of her siblings. What I'm wondering is if she's going to get aspirate pneumonia and die. Has anyone else had a puppy that they've brought back? Would you suggest .5 ml of amoxi drops for 10-14 days to hopefully prevent the pneumonia? Thank you for your thoughts
Wow, that is awesome that you got the precious little one back!  I would suggest you contact your vet to see what they suggest and to find out how much of a concern it is.
I've never heard of anything like that before. Sometimes the mother will refuse to nurse a puppy she "knows" will not survive; have even seen mother dogs lying on their puppies.  He/she must be a really special puppy.  I agree with txsilver - take the puppy to a vet.

Please let us know what happens.  Maybe you should consider being a vet after bringing this puppy back to life  = )

lonewolf

I work at a vet clinic, :) and have been breeding and showing dogs since '89, I've never had this happen before either! She is doing absolutely wonderful. I'm going into work today, I've had the last 2 days off just for my babies. Unfortunately, none of the 5 vets at my clinic are breeder vets, but I'm sure they'll be able to offer advice. I'll keep you posted.
This kind of happened to me as wll today. My dog had her puppies and this one in particular the momma ripped the umbilical cord completely off and the puppy was bleeding. I managed to stop the bleeding but at 4 am I was awoken to the sound of crying; not sure what puppy was crying still. Well the puppy was laying 2 feet from momma and was cold, lifeless, not breathing or anything. I managed to rub her and she took a big gasp of air and cried out. At 8 am I called my vet and explained to him what happened. While on the phone I tld him when the time changed I would tell him how many breaths per min. Well that was only four. I took her, her littermates, and momma to the vet and the vet said we should end her suffering. So my little angel puppy is no longer hurting.