Dogs Community
Torn Cruciate ligament in both rear legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

We had a surgery on one and then she was using the other rear leg and then suddenly she couldn't bear any weight on that leg either.  We noticed it was making a popping sound. Again this is the good one.  We took the dog to the vet and they said it was just sore from using it and he also commented on the popping.  My question is two fold and one is not related so much to the other.  

Should a general practitioner be able to recognize something like this if she is actually trying to use the leg she just had surgery one and the supposed good one is making a popping sound?  He had me walk her about 60 yards and also told me she was running around and behaving normally.  I feel like this is one of those situations where someone tells me something, but deep down I know something is wrong.  Anyways, I took her to another vet and they said it was a torn ligament just like in the other leg.  

My other question is now she isn't drinking very much water and it seems she can't assume the position she normally does to urinate.  Is this reason for worry?  She is having another surgery on monday on the other leg.  I'm worried she won't be able to do her business.  We are currently using a rear harness and it helps her get around a little bit but i think it confuses her and she won't go when i have it on her.  If i don't use it, she can't walk.  I'm at my wits end.  Please help.  She's my baby.
Hi Mia.  I know that having repair surgery in one leg can cause the same injury in the other leg due to overuse.  I guess we were just lucky with our dog when she blew her ACL and had TPLO surgery.  I'm not certain about the harness your using to help her get around, but you may have just as good, if not better, results by using a towel as a sling.  Loop it around her belly and hold the ends up to give her just enough assistance to walk and squat to do her business.  You're probably right that she's very confused about the harness situation, but she WILL eventually get used to it and pee and poop.

It sounds like you're both just in for a rough time while she recovers from the surgeries.  The good news is that dogs recover from these things so much faster than humans.  Did your surgeon recommend any physical therapy?  If you have access to a pool, I can truthfully testify that water therapy is the best way to go.  Water takes away so much gravity, and consequently the pain is just about gone while submerged.  Of course, it comes right back once you get out of the pool, but at least you can do the exercises pain-free.  Water therapy made a big difference for me and my ortho surgeries.  Our TPLO dog recovered in record time by swimming 30 minutes a day as well.

She may not be drinking much right now because she's so inactive.  Does she appear to be dehydrated at all?  I just looked at the calendar and realize tomorrow is the big day for surgery #2.  Please let us know how it goes and what your surgeon has to say about rehab and recovery.  Good luck!  :-)