Dogs Community
Toxic Shampoo?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Toxic Shampoo?

I gave my 8 year old dog a Hartz flea and tick shampoo last night.  She vomited first thing this morning and throughout the day. She is having loose stools which she cannot control, so it's in my house. She also is very lethargic and not eating.  She usually eats ANYTHING! I am getting very worried.  Could this just be a coincidence?  She has never been like this before and I have been reading some horror stories about this med.
Flea shampoo is meant to be VERY toxic. So yes, most likely toxic shampoo.

Here's a recipe i found online, on ehow for a non toxic flea shampoo:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2072758_make-nontoxic-flea-shampoo.html

have fun ;D
Whether it's the shampoo or not, your dog needs medical attention.  If she is still vomiting or having diarrhea, withhold all food but keep plenty of water available.  If she can't keep down water, that's an emergency.  Do you have an emergency vet clinic within a reaonable distance?  
No, this is NOT a coincidence! This is well known for Hartz products!
I don't understand how they get away with it...It clearly is about money and NOT the well being of our pets....

If you have not already, give her a bath ASAP to wash as much off as you can....She does need to see a Vet, as this is considered poisoning, I'm sorry to say.

In the future, only use flea control products from your Vet....They are the safest....Please come back and let us know how she is.... Karla
The medication has entered her blood stream I concur with the others get to your vet ASAP please let us know how you go.

Anyway what the hell is this product still doing on the market ?????

They need a few people to SUE THEM maybe then they would pay attention.

We are lucky here in Aus as this firm is not selling it here.
I used the flea drops on my cats last year. BOTH cats started shaking, drooling and having seizures, could not walk and would not eat. The poor things would lay on their sides with their legs sticking straight out shaking and crying. I called the 1800 number on the box. Hartz had a comapny DVM call me back. They instructed me to call my vet immediately. I called my vet... The vet got upset with me for using the medication on my cats and said "this is why we sell Advantage" There is no medication I can give them to reverse the affects of the Hartz drops, besides I have never seen any animals die from this" She then told me she would not see my cats in her office. To wrap then in towels to control the tremors, hold them to let them know they were loved and just let nature run its course... I was furious, I took both into an emergency vet. Both were having an allergic reaction to the medication and said that they were having all the symptoms a cat would have if they were given DOG flea medication which is lethal for cats. I called the company and faxed in the DMV's diagnosis, the packaging and empty flea medication packages and store receipt. I have yet to hear anything back from them. However, they did send me cupons for $20.00 free hartz merchandise.... Are they kidding?????  Thank god my cats were ok after $1000.00 in vet bills....I am not sure exactly what happened but I only use natural flea remedies now...but its not worth losing my pets over.