Dogs Community
Travel with puppy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Travel with puppy

Hello everyone! I haven't made too many posts on here but I wanted to ask about doing some traveling with my 8 month Welsh Corgi. We have travelled with him before and he goes on frequent car rides to the dog parks and vet ect. The longest trip we took however was about 6 hours. He was very well behaved and we made frequent stops and everything was fine. BUT my question is we are planning on driving across the country basically from Cali to Ohio and we need to take the dog with us. This trip is going to be a three day trip and I'm not sure if it's ok to have him in his crate and travelling that distance or not? He really is great with travel but we have never made a trip this long before. Does anyone have any tips on how to make him more comfortable on the trip? Obviously we will be making frequent stops and staying in a hotel at night but he needs to be in his crate for the ride and when we are sleeping so I need to make him as comfortable as possible.
Well I've never had to take a dog on such a long journey, but I'll apply what I usually do on any long car ride to the situation.
A walk,and a run in the morning before setting off. If that means getting up an hour earlier, so be it. A good half hour decent exercise.
On the road, drive maybe a couple of hours, then stop. Let him out for a walkabout, to stretch his legs, pee and poop, or sniff about, and maybe drink some water. Maybe chase a ball? or something fun, for a short time, maybe 30 mins. or so.
Drive on, then stop for "lunch". Never mind eating! Take him for a good walk, about one hour. A proper walk, where he can really move.
When he comes back to the car he should be ready for a good nap, and happy to relax.
Same in the afternoon, one pit-stop, then when you stop for dinner, another decent walk.

Now if you have to drive in the evening, he should be happy to sleep. Or he will be ready to get to bed even though in unfamilar surroundings. (They don't usually mind so long as they have their food, exercise, and something fun to do -and are with you!)

Take a blanket or bedding from home which he is used to and which he has slept on a couple of times, without washing it. So it will have familar smells on it. Take a toy he likes to play with from home.

It's not all that easy doing a journey with a dog! When you just want to keep going -you have to stop and walk the walk! Or you have to stop to pee and poop! And often pit-stops have to coincide with decent exercise areas. Many is the time I have stayed up too late poring over a road map to find the perfect places to make stops!
It's a whole different way of travelling! That's for sure.
Oh, love Corgis.  :-)   Sounds like a fun trip and definitely manageable, esp since your dog is crate trained!  Definitely, the safest way for the dog to travel is in a crate. Just make sure it is large enough for him to stand up in and turn around.  Keep soft bedding or a crate pad in the crate.  You can easily travel at least 3-4 hours between stops then take him out to potty and offer water.  I don't know what your feeding schedule is but you should probably feed half the amount before you leave then give him his dinner at the hotel.  Make sure the vehicle stays cool.
I've traveled with dogs a lot over the years and I do want to add this information:
Make sure he has identification on him (tags, etc) at all times.
Make sure, on the outside of his crate, you put his name, your names, contact information should you (God forbid) be in an accident (another reason the crate is the best place for him to be).  
Do not let him out of the car, anywhere, without a leash on him.
Take a *dog* bag with you and include some first aid stuff (some bandages, tape, antiseptic and Benadryl, Pepto, a pack or two of moist wipes)
Include some extra towels, paper towels, trash bags, dishes for food and water (they make some great ones that fold flat).  Good to keep this stuff on hand should you have to clean up anything.
Take extra water!  I always take bottle water so my dogs don't have to drink different water from different areas.
Most rest stops have dog areas and try to not let him be sniffing other dog's stools, etc.  
I assume he is up to date on all his vaccines, that is important, esp at his age.  
Hopefully, all should go well and have a great trip!!!!!