Dogs Community
Treats for a dog on U/D diet food

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Treats for a dog on U/D diet food

Does anyone out there have a dog on Hills U/D pres. diet food?  My vet put Roxy, my 7 yr. old bichon on this food after having to remove a calcium oxylate stone from her bladder.  These formations cause extreme pain and can only be removed surgically and are very likey to form again.  So to try prevent any future stones forming this is the only food she is allowed to have ... and NO treats.  My other dog GInger, a cavachon,  is young and in trying to train her I need to be able to use training treats.  Does anyone know of any treats that can be safely given to Roxy so she doesn't  whine and feel left out?   She was given a treat or 2  daily until this diagnosis.. and it breaks my heart to see her waiting by the cupboard and whining for her treat for hours and not be able to give her anything except a piece of her diet food.  She loves to chew on rawhide bones and the like, and I want to be able to give her something like that, but want it to be safe for her.  Any suggestions would be welcome from someone who may have the same situation.
You can buy the canned UD food (Which she needs anyway, because of stones). Slice pieces off (Like cookies from the store) & bake in oven on cookie sheet.....I see no reason to not spice them up with honey or cinnamon or both.....

You may have to experiment with the baking temps. & time......Maybe 250 degrees for 20 minutes. To form a hard crisp cookie, turn the heated oven off & let them sit in there for a few hrs.

You may can find the recipe online and get exacts for cooking......I don't remember it, sorry....

ANy dog with kidney ploblems needs to be on wet food to help flush out the toxins; Not dry......

I'll see if I can help you find the recipe..............Karla
Thanks Karla.... what a great idea!  ..... wonder why my vet didn't suggest this.  I'm also wondering why she didn't mention that the wet food is better for her condition.  I will have to get some ASAP.... maybe I can mix it with the dry each feeding.  If you come across the recipe for the treats let  me know.  I'm going to try experimenting right now as I do have a can of wet food on hand for mixing pills in when she needs them....... Karen
Karen,   Here it is....Good luck and happy baking...  ;)         Karla

How to Make Healthy Treats at Home

Homemade Treat Recipe
Yield: approx. two dozen treats

USING CANNED FOOD:

1.Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.
2.Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.
3.Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.
4.Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
5.Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
6.Do not freeze homemade treats.
For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using Dry Food:

1.In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.
2.Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.
3.Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)
4.Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
5.Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
6.Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
7.Do not freeze homemade treats.
To enhance flavor, sprinkle oregano powder over the dry food treats. However, do not add oregano to homemade treats when Prescription Diet® z/d® or d/d® foods are used. Cookie cutters make treats fun to make and serve. Only Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline food, Prescription Diet® n/d® Canine and Prescription Diet® s/d® Canine foods cannot be made into homemade treats using the above recipe. However, you can use the following recipe for homemade treats for these foods:

Roll the canned food into little balls and place in the freezer to serve later as a frozen treat. Since it is not possible to bake n/d® Canine into treats, this is a great alternative. Also, this is refreshing to pets during the hot summer.
I don't see why a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top would hurt, either....Sure would make them tastier!!!!!!      Karla
I'm also wondering if she could have "Sweet Potato" chews?  You could ask your Vet about these....I don't think they would add a problem to her food chemistry.

If your not familiar with them, they are dried pieces of sweet potatos. Some brands are thin strips & some are pieces like filets....They are dried hard, but can have a chewy texture. They're alot like jerky strips, but not meat....Only dried sweet potato with NO added chemicals or anything.....I would think they would be OK to feed......

She probably would be happy w/ them in place of the rawhide that she cannot have.....

Anyway, just another thought...............Karla
Why not use fruit? My dogs love apples, bananas, green beans, etc. Ask you vet about these to make sure that they would not cause harm- too acidic or not acidic enough. A vet suggested that my Mom use a small amout of cat food for training- the bits are small. My dog will even be happy with her own dog food as a treat. Good luck, with this and post what you learn for others as well. thanks.  
Thank you and all the others whoand all the others who gave me advice on the UD diet dog treats.  I hadn't responded yet because I'm experimenting to get the baking process down so as to get the cookies come out crispy. So far I'm getting treats that are soft  and not much different that the canned food itself.  While she likes them, she's not getting the chewing experience she likes.  AND the food is expensive to experiment with.  I will let everyone know which temps and baking times work best if I ever find the way to make them crispy, which is what she likes in a treat.   As for the dried sweet potato treats.... she used to eat them before and loved them, but am having a hard time finding ones with no additives.  She doesn't like fruits, only certain veggies and they aren't on her diet.
Karen
Hi Karen.....Found these recipes for you in case you want to add some selection to your girl's diet......Karla

Calcium Oxalate Stones;  Dog Food Recipes oxalates:

Hello, Yes, I can help with a Calcium oxalate diet for your little dog....
The KEY is Wet food and adding some x-tra water.

LOW PROTEIN DIETS  
( Thanks to Lowchen's )

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/diet2.htm

Low protein diets play a role in the treatment of several conditions, such as kidney disease, advanced liver disease, and some forms of dominance aggression.

[If your pet has been prescribed a low protein diet], but doesn’t like any of the commercial preparations, you might consider trying one of these home-cooked recipes.

EGG & POTATO DIET
(low-protein, low-phosphorous, high-potassium, normal sodium) for Dogs

1 egg, large, cooked

3 cups potato, boiled with skin

1 tablespoon chicken fat

( *THE (1 1/2) CALCIUM CARB AND THE 1/2 NuVET vitamin is correct for a dog under 10 lbs )

1½ calcium carbonate tablets (600 milligrams calcium)

½ multiple-mineral tablet ** ( NuVET below)

THIS IS ENOUGH FOR 1 DAY OF AN 18 POUND DOG'S NEEDS:

Provides 600 kilocalories, 15.1 grams protein, 18.5 grams fat. Supports caloric needs of an 18-pound dog.

Provides phosphorus at 53 percent, potassium at 322 percent, sodium at 114 percent of dogs daily needs.

TO reduce the Salt - take away the chicken fat....

***********************************************************
1/2 to 1 NuVET plus wafer per day for all dogs on home-made foods or commercial diets:
Order your NuVET here:  http://www.nuvet.com/81098
Tell them you are working with PET Nurse Marie and some home-made special recipes.  ( use Discount code 81098) when you call in : NOT sold in stores;   1-800-474-7044
************************************************************

NEXT -

CHICKEN AND POTATO DIET  ( LOW SALT )***************
(low protein low phosphorus, high potassium, low sodium) for Dogs

¼ cup cooked chicken breast

3 cups potato, boiled with skin

2 tablespoons chicken fat

1 ½ calcium carbonate tablets (600 milligrams calcium)

½ multiple vitamin-mineral tablet
( NuVET supplement vitamins)
SEE order link Above*

THIS is enough for a 22 POUND Dog per Day :

Provides 689 kilocalories, 18.9 grams protein, 26.8 grams fat. Supports caloric needs of a 21-22 pound dog
Provides phosphorus at 45 percent, potassium at 301 percent, sodium at 54 percent of a dog's daily needs.

PLEASE only use GRAIN free treats-
INNOVA EVO and WEllness CORE make a nice Grain free treat.
There is also a brand called NO GRAINERS - very good treats.

HOPE this helps - MUCH better than the Awful HILL's RX stuff...
YUCK - MOST dogs don't like the HIlls Rx or Science Diet.

BEST wishes...

Marie Peppers LPN MA
Ask the VET Nurse
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
******  The Calcium Carb. tablet is a regular Human "Tums".
Hi Karla...... thank you sooo much for this info.  Roxy likes her UD diet dry food so I had planned on staying with it, but it seems the recommendations are for wet food.  So I guess I could even try that intead of dry, or mix both together.   It's the treats.... just something crunchy ... and the suggestions there for certain brands of treats is definitely what I will look into.  My vet gave no suggestions at all.  I didn't even know what ingredients to stay away from, but according to this info it is the grains.  Good to know.  Thanks again!
Karen
We give all our animals raw veggies as treats. Whatever happens to be on sale, we buy. Easy on the bank account, and good for them to boot!

It took a little while for them to take to it, and at first, a few of them turned up their noses (we have 6 big girls), but after a week or 2 of them all being on a diet, the veggies all of sudden became a lot more interesting once their tummies began to growl!

Baby carrots, or full-sized ones cut into 1/4" chunks (or smaller if you have a small dog). Broccoli, cauliflower, green-beans, string-beans, canned yams, canned veggie anything really.

Good luck to you!
I haven't seen the sweet potato chews you are talking about. Where do you find them? Are they in local or do you have to order on-line?
Our Petsmart and also Pet Supply both sell them in the treat section.... my girls both love them.
All pet supply stores will have some form of these....My favorites are called "Sam's Yams"...However, there are many good ones available instore or online.......These treats are excellent for all dogs.....Good luck and thanks for inquiring..........Karla
It is often the protein that needs to be avoided-some dogs cannot process the protein in certain foods, especially animal made protein. Be sure to check with your veterinarian or at least a veterinarian before adding anything to her diet-U/D diets are most often meant to be followed STRICTLY and adding anything can cause crystals/stones to form again. Just want to make sure you don't waste your money on the expensive U/D by adding something that will cause stones to form again :)
I also have a 5yr old Bichon on u/d food now after her 3rd surgery 3 weeks ago^0-100 stones...She was on c/d food and they make treats but not for u/d and my Bichon looks for them...frustrating for both of us....
Hello, I had the same problem you do when it comes to treats for dogs on U/D diet.  I did attempt baking treats as others suggsted, but found it easier to freeze them (I was told this also doesn't alter the nutritional value like baking).  I purchased some bone shaped small cookie cutters from Amazon that were pretty inexpensive. I dump out an entire can of wet U/D food, and slice it about 1/4in thick.  Then I cut out as many dog bones as I can and lay them in a container (separate layers with wax paper) and put into the freezer.  Since they are small they fit into Kongs and my dog loves this treat, and it helps as he is a chewer and needs a challenge. I use the food remnants as a topping for his dry food to use it up.  For a training or small treat I use the dry dog food.  

Hope that is helpful for anyone who needs a simple treat for their dog on a restricted diet!
my yorkie has had these stones and I bake his can food at 350 for 30 minutes, and then refrigerate. I was wondering about rawhide treats, anyone have an answer?
I have 2 shih-tzu's both have had stones removed,1 dog has the Calcium Oxilate stones and is on UD the other has the Struvite stones and is on CD. Both dogs are very unhappy with their food,Especially the dog on UD.
I have been boiling rice and adding a big dob on each meal. Reading some of the blogs has me worried that even the rice will do them harm . I'm going to try the sweet potato dried for a treat tomorrow,My dog on the UD is drinking more water so that's good.
Rhonda Coles   ***@****
Thank you Cinstry,
                              I will give that a try.
                                        lotebunny
my pug just had surgery and had 4 stones removed.  They put her on a mix of Royal Canin dry with 1 tablespoon of Royal Canin Urinary SO Can food mixed with it.  My Vet said NO TREATS but did say I can cut the wet food and make treats by heating oven  to 350 and cutting wet food into the size I prefer and bake for 30 minutes or until the consistancy I prefer.  My girl likes them a little softer so this works for me.  When you are done and they are cool the treats do need to be refrigerated in a baggie.  I made her a few longer stick type ones the look like a little raw hide bone for when I go out for long periods so she thinks she is getting something different.  She seems to enjoy and things she is getting something different then her wet food.
My bichon had the calcium oxalate stone surgery in June 2012. She was put on the UD can  diet and she has gained a lot of weight. They said for treats she could have raw carrots and plain Cheerios. The  UD diet is nothing but fat and it didn't work for her. She is having her 2nd surgery tomorrow, the stones are back and not a year and a half later. We have spent tons of money on surgeries and monitoring this situation. My advice, be careful of weight gain because it can cause other problems. None of these calcium oxylate dogs should be on dry dog food. Everyone has stressed can food and dilute it with water if the dogs PH needs it. Good luck!