Trouble defecating
My 10yr old. lab has been having trouble pooping for about 2 weeks. She strains, and her stools are smaller than usual. Today, while giving her a bath, I noticed her anal opening is pulled to the left, and there is a hard knot on the right hand side of her opening. She is obviously uncomfortable, but has a healthy appetite and does have the ability to defecate, just smaller amounts than usual.
We were considering giving a dose of cod liver oil to help, thinking she was just constipated. (she also has arthritis, and we just started her on JointMAXX about a month ago). But now that I have noticed the knot, I am very concerned. Should we try the cod liver oil or get her to the vet?
Aw, the poor old doggie!  The cod liver oil will make it easier for her to poop, but there is something very wrong that needs a vet to diagnose and treat.  The description you provide of the anal opening suggests either an abscess or some sort of growth that is blocking the flow of waste.  Hopefully it's something fairly simple like an abscessed anal gland, but even that will need antibiotics and perhaps even surgical lancing.  Please don't wait and get her in to a vet ASAP!
Thanks for the info- we got her into the vet this a.m. - pending diagnosis of a tumor. Not good news, but we will know for certain in a week or so.
Sorry about you dog, I had a norweigen elk hound who had the same problem it was a tumor of his anal gland we did surgery he was about 12. Glad we did gave us another year with him with no problems until the day he passed. Hope it all works out.