Dogs Community
University of Penn Mistake

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

University of Penn Mistake

Anyone have a problem with the proactive care with Univ.Penn. My poor 5yr old Bischon Missy
Is recovering from her second surgery in 18months.  She had surgery today for bladder stones. Upset  because this could have been avoided with regular follow up visits with our vet if we would have been advised from the doctors at Penn. Unfortunately they failed to provide me with test results of bladder stones the first time. Frustrated because the financial strain it is causing especially at this time of year.  Called and emailed their customer service manager but no response. Also when I brought her in on Saturday morning the attending doctor did say "it is inexcusable that we were not informed as to how to proceed with her care" . The total paid for 1st surgery $3000 and now they quoted $4500.

0%
 (0) 
Bladder stone surgery
100%
 (1) 
University of Penn Vet Hosp
1 Member voted
Wow, this seems unusually high for a bladder stone surgery!!!! These surgeries are common.....I'm not sure I understand your question....Are you saying Penn State should have provided follow up care or are you saying you should have been told to see your regular Vet for follow up?

I have 3 Bichons or part Bichons & we have never dealt with stones, but I still think this price is unreasonable.....I know prices vary state to state, but I would say surgery and labwork to determine which type of stone your dealing with ( each type have different treatments), would be around $700-$900.....

You need to call around to different offices to get some price quotes......Regular Vets do this surgery daily....You don't need a specialty center......I hope others will drop by with their area's prices.......Good luck, I hope it all works out for your Missy....Karla
Jack had Kidney stones and my Vet thought he would have more stones later in life. It's a shame it's so expensive, but seems anthing type of
surgery is expensive if it's your dog or human. You are such a good person Karla.
I see in another thread that your Missy's stones are "Struvite Stones"....These stones are ALWAYS caused by an infection......The trick is to be faithful about having regular Urinalysis done to make sure an infection is not present.....Plus, you must make sure the original infection is cleared.....
You have to be diligent with having her urine checked till the infection is completely gone...Thus, the stones can't form!

Moisture plays a huge role with these dogs that are prone to stones......You want at least half their diet as Wet food.....Don't fall for your Vet's Prescription DRY Diet....That's not what she needs.....NO dog should live on only dry food! They, like humans, need moisture to survive!
If you feed a dry Diet, you need to add alot of Wet foods.....Fresh fruits & veggies are all moisture rich.....Add to her bowl daily.....Then feed a high quality canned food the other meal.....The moisture will keep the bladder flushed and stones can't form....Filtered drinking water is the best. Do not use Tap water.....There are too many chemicals added to city water....NO small dog should drink tap water.....

I'm heading to the Vet today...I'm gonna ask what they charge for stone surgery...Just because I'm curious...I'll let you know......Karla

Mark~~~~ Thank you for the compliment! I have a rotten day ahead of me....You have provided me the boost I need!  ;)  I appreciate it......Take care, Karla

Thank you all for your advice being more proactive to help prevent future bladder stone problems with Missy. Just wish I was given information from University of Penn about the types of stones and monitoring basically for the rest of her life. The cost of X-rays periodically beats the cost of two surgeries within 18months. I will never again go to nor would I recommend UP to anyone.  Although the doctor who cared for Missy this time Dr.Lo was very nice and caring.
Hi, I was stating that Penn should of given me adviice for Missy to be proactive. I waited months to find out what type of stones she had and they never called me or my local Vet. Months passed and I kept calling getting same response that it takes a long time to get back results. Upon leaving hospital the first time I was told not to change her diet. Now I'm told differently this time.
Hi MissyB1.....I went over and ask my Vet what the price for bladder stone surgery is on a small dog such as a Bichon....They gave me an itemized statement for each thing included...I am not going to list everything, but this quote is from the beginning exam & xray to the end of release....

It includes bloodwork prior to surgery to check Kidney & Liver Values, the surgery itself, Analysis of stone type (Sent to Houston, TX), 1 night hospital stay, antibiotics for 10 days, pain meds during surgery & 3 days after & includes the anesthetic during surgery......TOTAL: $600.00

She does this surgery regularly! So, there's my quote from Oklahoma.....I'm sorry, but I think your being taken!  My goodness!

Good luck though and I sure hope your girl does well....I do Love those Bichons.....Let me know how she is.....Karla
Any update on your girl?  Hope all is well.....Karla
Missy seems to be recovering fine. She was now put on strict SO diet. I just pray that there will be no more hosp visits.
Thanks! Happy Holidays!
Hi there...Thanks for the update...I'm thrilled that Missy is recovering & doing well.....Merry Christmas to you and yours......Karla