Dogs Community
Update on Jake, the vomiting Doberman.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Update on Jake, the vomiting Doberman.

As some of you know, Jake, our 9 y/o Doberman, has been plagued with unexplained vomiting for the past year and a half.  He would vomit, usually on a completely empty stomach, 2-3 times (or more) every day unless medicated with a very expensive doggy antiemetic called Cerenia.  
He had every test known to man or beast, no reason was ever discovered.  We just had to watch him and get him outside in time to puke outdoors.  

Well, about a month ago, our other Dobe started puking on an empty stomach, too.  This was disturbing to me--its one thing to have one puking dog, its another to have 2.  Jefferson didn't do it as often as Jake did, but it was the same pattern--about an hour before eating he would throw up.  

I had to consider now that their food might be the culprit, although I tried changing it once before without success.   When 2 dogs in a household have a vomiting problem, it HAS to be something they both are exposed to that is causing it.  So I looked again at food.  They are on a very high quality dog food, and have been since we moved here 2 years ago.   To me, it doesn't make sense that it would be their food, since the puking happens on an empty stomach, and not after eating....but I'm desperate to try anything.

I started them on Nutro Sensitive Stomach this week.  Neither has vomited this week, AT ALL.   Knock on wood that this continues!  
This is what I had been feeding them.  It did wonders for their coats.

http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/products/pro_dry/pro_hund.html
Hi Peek.  Could it be a plant or something around the house they are getting into?  
No, they are totally inside dogs, and I have to supervise them when they do go outside to pee and such.
My dog also gets pukey on an empty stomach.  In fact, his stomach makes the loudest, grossest noises that it wakes dh and I up.  For the past few years we have given him a snack right before bedtime of 1/2c or so of food to hold him over.  This has helped dramatically. And now he only pukes when he east wooden spoons, bacon grease filled pop cans or any other things he pulls out of the garbage!

(He is a very naughty dog and once stole a 17lb frozen turkey from the sink while I was out and dragged it all the way upstairs to hide while eating it. I came home later only to something that looked like bloody nurder had occurred! - only the carcass was left and empty gizzard bag!  Needless to say he amazingly did NOT puke after eating that!  He also ate a big jar of Eucerin lotion once.  That was also not a pretty thing to come home to but I digress...!)  
Peek Hi.  Are they from the same litter?  
I remember you had a lot of test done on Jake and solved alot of the puzzle; yet still seemed to have that one piece missing.  That has to be very very frustrating with both.

Does Jefferson have any issues concerning kidney problems.  Maybe do a U/A and check it out.  I truly feel for you.  I'm not sure what to say.  I was thinking like mentioned above a snack in between meals might help.  I think I remember you said they get 3 smaller meals a day though instead of 2 large.  Sorry...can't remember.  Best of wishes.
Amy
You could try the old 'dry biscuit' remedy that is supposed to help pregnant women with morning sickness (??) A dry biscuit or two immediately on waking in the morning. Don't know if that'll work or not, but I suppose you're at the point where you will try anything.
I'm sorry I can't think of what might be causing this.
(That might mean you have to sleep with biscuits in bed!! Don't know how you'll work that one out!)
We've done it--I've gotten up in the middle of the night to give him biscuits.  That worked for a short time, then it didn't work any more.

Now, with this new food, he's not vomiting any more.  So far, so good.
I have a 9 year old Aussie that vomited yellow bile ALOT mostly in the morning on an empty stomach.  We spent years changing dog food and trying to figure it out.  A new vet suggested an acid controller at bedtime, like Prilosec.  We never had another problem.  The generic from Walmart is very inexpensive.  I hope this helps alot of dogs.  This seems to be a very common problem.
I have a four year old doberman with a sensitive stomach.......I`ve switched expensive foods numerous times but now his problem is he gets pukey around 8pm.  He is fed 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at bedtime.  I thought it might have something to do with stomach acid.  He seems completely heathly otherwise and loves beating up our two boxers! Any suggestions?
Hello lkjdsa,
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a similar problem with your dog, please start a new post. It will get a LOT more attention.

To post a question: Go to the top of this page, and click on the orange button on the left where it says "Post a Question". Then simply add a title for your question, and underneath, describe the problem (in as much detail as you like). Add "tags" if you wish, using main keywords in what you have written (but you don't have to)  If you wish to add a photo, click on "Add Photo", just underneath the "Tags" section.Then scroll down a little, and click on the green button where it says "post a Question". And your question will be displayed immediately on the Dogs Community page.