Dogs Community
Vaginal bleeding

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Vaginal bleeding

11 year old spayed dog with recent onset of intermittent vaginal bleeding but otherwise asymptotic.  What is the differential diagnosis?
Nobody can diagnose your dog over the internet.  I wish we could!  In this case, you really need to get that diagnosis from your own vet.  There are many different things that can cause vaginal bleeding from an anal fistula to something more deadly like cancer.  The longer you put off seeing a vet and getting treatment, the more likely it is to be a more expensive problem to treat.  I hope you can get her in soon!
Hi ,,,my 11 year old cocker spaniel was spayed when she was less than a year old. A couple of months ago she had vaginal bleeding, the vet gave her antibiotics for UTI (i tink) and the bleeding stopped in 3days...now i took her to another vet who says he feels a tumor and it needs to be removed..she's pretty healthy...her appetite is fine ...so she'll be fine with surgery right?
Im a bit paranoid...what is the worst that could happen?
Another cause of so-called "vaginal" bleeding in a spayed dog can be bladder stones, or some other bladder irritation (such as a UTI)
Did the vet say he thinks the tumor is in the bladder? Or in another location?If in the bladder, that sounds like a probable cause for the bleeding. However, it could be that the bleeding WAS caused by a UTI, as she responded well to the antibiotics. It could be that the tumor he felt is somewhere else, and is a totally separate coincidental thing? I was a little unsure from what you said.
It is always possible the tumor is benign? I am not saying it is, but it would be better if it was removed, one way or the other. If your dog is generally fit and well she should be OK for the surgery. The vet will probably do a few tests to get a picture of her general health before surgery.

The worst thing that can happen?
Try not to think about that, right now. Take this step by step. Surgical removal of a tumor, even if it is cancerous, is the first step, and sometimes all that is needed.....it depends.

I do wish her (and you) well. Good luck. Let us know how she gets on.