Dogs Community
Vaginal mucus in a spayed dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Vaginal mucus in a spayed dog

My dog has mucus coming from her vagina. The vet did an ultrasound and found nothing, her blood tests are good but they did find an antibiotic resistant e.coli when doing a culture. For the past 18 days she has been on amikacin and cipro. It has helped but the infection is not gone. They want to do 28 days total and then if that does not work an endoscopy.  Other than this, she is perfectly healthy. They are not really sure why it has not gone away yet.  I was wondering if we are still going in the right direction or if it could be something else?  They have not been able to feel anything either when examining her.  Overall she is in perfect health, except for this.  Prior to these antibiotics, she was also on every other antibiotic you can think of.
Hmmm.  my computer hit send on its own.  That's not good.  LOL

What I was saying was that by her having been on so many different antibiotics recently, you want to get to the bottom of this quickly because the bacteria in her body will ALL become resistant to antibiotics if you keep on like this, and it could cause something minor to become something very major if the bacteria have become resistant.  Nothing will work on her for any disease.

I would look up veterinary colleges in your area and make an appointment at one of their teaching hospitals.  You may have to drive a bit, but it will be worth it in the long run.  Please keep us up to date on what is happening.

Ghilly
OK, now the first part of my post that was sent on its own is no longer there.  My computer is officially haunted.  

The above post started out saying that I would locate a veterinary college in your area and take the dog to the teaching hospital at the college.  Your vet can only draw on his own experience for a stumper of a case like this, but at a veterinary college you have many peoples' careers and experiences to draw from.  Perhaps one of them has seen something like this in the past and will know what to do or how to go about effecting a cure.

Ghilly
At this point, agree with Ghilly.
Has this been cultured and checked for sensitivity?  Has she been checked for UTI?
Did the Vet recommend a vaginal douche?
We have actually done a number of things.

1. Ultrasound
2. Urinalysis
3. Cytology
4. Aerobic/Anaerobic Cultures

They did not mention a vaginal douche.  I will actually ask them today when I take her in again.
Thank you for the feedback.  I will look into a vet school but at this time we have actually had 4 vets look at her. One is our normal vet and 3 from the animal hospital she is going to now.

I am going to ask them today about the douche and I am thinking that I might see if we should do a culture again to see if we still have the same bacteria present.
Good idea.  I would ask for urine and vaginal cultures.
Good luck.  How aggravating.