Dogs Community
Vulvular Mass, Bladder Lesion Enlarged Colon

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

11 year old Female Chow/GS mix, presented with enlarged urethra, vulva and colon, gelatinous substance when pooing, urine appears clear. Ultra sound revealed mass on vulva, lesion and small stones in bladder, enlarged colon, swelling of urethra mass shows no vascular formations.  Excessive straining when pooing 2 weeks prior to other symptoms, bled from vulva upon internal manual examination of rectum.  Will not sit, back legs appear weaker. Dog has history of bladder stones and had surgery, bladder thickening, had a episioplasty to correct vulvular anatomy condition,  sucessive treatments for bladder infections from staph infections, including enterococcus.  Treated with 4 regimines of Chloramphenicol.  Successful.   Rusty was also on Mebox, and Tramadol. Mucus and straining when peeing appear to have abated.  Rusty is on Royal Canin Urinary SO 14 dried food.  One month prior she had been rejecting food as the warmer weather appeared.  Tried cooking for her little interest.  Lost weight.  I can feel ribs,  Rusty is now on a Prednisone taper, Flagyl, Tramadol, and Generic Immodium.  Her appetite appears to be improving though I must moisten her dry food and add a little canned dog food to her diet.  Hanging udder near back legs appears a bit smaller.  Insists on going for walks (is a little peppier today). no matter how she feels.  Is drinking a lot.  More control over peeing now that she is eating.  I am feeding her 3 times a day at least.  I think she was starving because of her bowels.  She has trouble chewing, Trouble finding canned food without extra **** in it even vet foods have questionable ingredients.  Don't know what is best Vet says let us get her to eat and worry about stones later.  She should have had a needle aspiration during ultra sound now that she is on prednisone won't the results be comprimised.  Help any sugestions  I think the Royal Canin is just not meeting her nutritional needs even prior to these series of episodes when eating she would always be hungry and always standing by the refrigerator.
This is the perfect example of a question that should be posted in our Ask A Vet forum.   We have more than 30 DVMs who would be happy to help provide you with some advice and some direction.

I hope your little Rusty is feeling better soon!
Thank you for responding yes advice would be appreciated as Rusty is a very important family member.  She is acting a little more like a dog today.  We took her to a former vet wh had moved from our area and she gave her Purina's FortiFlora along with her other medications, we are monitoring her daily for signs of improvement wish us success.
On Saturday, August 15, 2009 our beloved Rusty left us.  The vet said it was time that we were doing this for  her.  Her records reports were not promising she couldn't get up without help.  Any nourishment she received left our the other end as soon as it went down.  Why do I feel so guilty?  She was the only child we would ever have.  We miss her.
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your Rusty.
But I feel you did the right thing. When you try all the treatments, and all the medication, and still your dog is suffering, and only living half a life, then it is time to let them go in peace.

That guilt is natural. It happened to me after I had to have my other dog put to sleep. I think it's because dogs have some innate ability to still show interest in life right to the last moment....they will still wag their tails (mine barked, and wagged his tail at the vet who came to the house to kill him....) I signed his life away, and knew I had to because his condition was terrible. But part of me could see the life-force still with that dog! But that's the thing, you see....let them go before they are devastated, in sheer agony, suffering beyond belief, unable even to open their eyes or move. That's what we are protecting them from by having them put to sleep.

God bless you. I do feel for your pain and loss.