Dogs Community
Westie with bladder cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Westie with bladder cancer

Last Friday I found out my 12 year old female westie, Katie,  has bladder cancer--they did an ultrasound and saw a tumor that is about 20% the size of her bladder.  Now, Wednesday, she is having trouble with her bowels.  Straining lots, and if she is able to get anything out, it is yellowie or runny bowel.  I sat up with her all last nite and she slept a lot, gave me lots of westie kisses, and when she had to go out, she got down and went to the door.  Due to the straining, I let her be and she went on the papers near the door.  This morning she is just resting and not eating.  The vet seemed to think that with a medication to perhaps relieve her bladder Katie might live 3-6 months.  Did anyone else have a dog with bowel problems?  Or be given the medication of which I am sorry I do not remember the name.  I have another call into the vet, but would love to hear any stories you might like to share and/or personal stories to share.  I might add that of all the dogs I have had, Katie is turning out to be my real tear jerker, and yet, I know that I will have to put her down at some point.  The question is when!!!
I'm so sorry about your little westie. The question of "when" is always a terrible one to answer.  We ultimately tend to second-guess ourselves, "I did it too soon" or "I waited too long."  The important thing is that you do something rather than nothing.  You know your dog better than anyone else, and I'm certain you'll know when the time is right.  

I don't have any personal experience with this kind of cancer in dogs, but hopefully one of our other members can answer that.  Also, you can post your question to the vets here at Med Help.  There are now two vets on the Ask a Vet forum, Dr. Cheng and Dr. Sims.  Hopefully one of them can give you a better idea of what to expect.  :-)
I am so sorry about Katie.  I had a scotty - Kacee - who also had bladder cancer.  Believe it or not the vet said 6 months and she lived 3 years!!  There is a wonderful website that has tons of information and support - search for canine bladder cancer (tcc) and you will be directed to the site -and the correct thread- the tread of over 700 posts - you will see some from me (kacee's mom) - after you get thru all 700 then you can search other areas of that site - they recently set up a separate search under pet cancer - and there are some under just bladder cancer.  
Believe me I know exactly how you are feeling right now.  Just know that there IS HOPE - and I don't know if you are aware of it but westies and scotties are very prone to this disease.  My Kacee took Peroxicam and Pepcid the entire time.  I truely believe it helped her live as long as she did - She was 16 when she passed to rainbow bridge.  Please let me know how you and Katie are doing.  
I should have added the website is www.cancercompass.com but it is difficult to find the old thread that I am refering to.  They revamped the site awhile back and the thread of 700 posts is way back to 2005 under bladder cancer.  It is not under pet cancer although there are quite a few posts there as well.  The original 700 in opinion have the most information.  If you have trouble finding it let me know.
Thanks for the info.  I looked at the site and found a lot of info.  I will continue to let you know how Katie is doing--at least she slept thru the nite so we ALL feel a bit more rested today.  She is constipated and I am wondering if this could have been caused by the antiobiotics the vet treated her with for the initial bladder infection--she just stopped taking them last Thursday and starting Monday became totally blocked.  Any history with that???
No Kacee never had constipation problems so I am no help there - but if I remember there were others on that msg board that did.  Is Katie on any other meds other than the antibiotic??  Peroxicam with pepcid seems to be the most widely used.  Peroxicam is actually a NSAID but has proven to shrink the tumors - pepcid is needed because the peroxicam is hard on the tummy.  Do you know where in the bladder her tumor is located?  Maybe you can call your vet and ask if there is anything you can give Katie for her constipation.  
My westie's name is Katie as well.  She has internal bladder cancer near the opening for her urethra.  I think she is totally blocked right now and I'm very upset and concerned.  I'm going to watch her again next time she has to pee and I hope it isn't totally blocked.  I know we have to put her to rest and I'm really upset as I type this right now.  How long can a dog lost without urinating?  Its 830pm on Easter night.  I don't want her to suffer.  She's been wagging her tail and seems happy.