Never ever give a dog anything with onions in it. Onions are toxic for dogs. You should not even give them something that was even cooked in the same pan with onions.
Onions and Chocolate and both very dangerous for dogs.
I posted a list awhile back of all things that are toxic for dogs. It is a very long list but it is good to know because we all love to give them a little treat every now and then. I will reseach the post and see if I can get it back up.
BTW; Bella loves potato chips and Rocco loves hot dogs. They get these very infrequently though because although they are not toxic it isn't good for them.
I don't want you guys to think I am being a bummer on this thread but you don't want to unintentionally give them something that can hurt them.
Known Food Toxins To Dogs
Fruits, Vegetables, Food
Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans.
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart
Broccoli: reported to be pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant
Chocolate: seizures, coma, hyperactivity, rapid heart beat, tremors, death. Bakers chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated but is still very dangerous.
• 1 oz per lb of body weight for (2 oz per kg) of body weight for bakers chocolate
• 1 oz per 3 lbs of body weight (1 oz per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate
• 1 oz per 9lbs of body weight (1 oz per 4 kg) for bakers chocolate
• Please keep in mind that these are only guidelines, and if you suspect your pet had ingested chocolate, please keep an eye out for ANY signs of poisoning! Every dog reacts differently to quantity.
Coffee/Tea: Drinks/Foods: containing caffeine or sugar may cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
Cooked Bones: uncooked bones should be safe but if they are cooked you should refrain because they deteriorate and easily splinter. Can cause extensive damage to internal organs and passage ways, may times resulting in death.
Onion: gastrointestinal upset, hemolytic anemia, heinz body anemia, hemogloinria, destroys red blood cells
Grapes, Raisins, Prunes: kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure
Salt: excessive intake can cause kidney problems
Raw Eggs- many people feed raw eggs to their dogs but keep in mind that they can contain salmonella. Dogs do have a higher immunity against salmonella poisoning but are not immune and have been reported to get it from uncooked eggs.
I am only posting this again so that those of us that may not be aware of these things know what to look out for.
Thanks Red, for refreshing this list for everyone. It's hard to remember everything, isn't it?
And it's so easy to think a certain food is ok if you don't know about what dogs can and can't eat!
But PEEK!! Your doggy surely has a WEIRD diet!!
My dog likes rotting Crow.....but she doesn't often get that......(if I can help it!) And this horrific stuff we sometimes find in the fields (Please do NOT ask me what this is! It's white....cheesy-looking.....smells like death-warmed-up....excreted by some animal?? I have no idea what it is. But as far as she is concerned it is a delicacy. She knows I try to stop her eating it, so she sneaks it behind my back. So far the disgusting gunge has neither made her ill, nor killed her.....)
Oh wow ....being somewhat new to the community, I never knew about anything other than chocolate being dangerous. THANK YOU for the great info you all have shared. Luckily, she only ate a small am't of the matzoh since we really don't give her any real people food, but will be certain from now on any scraps of the matzoh is plain!
my dogs love pancakes...i just wanted to share that my dog got very sick from eating thanksgiving dinner turkey. it did something to her pancreas. she was in the hospital 3 days with iv s...they didn t think she was going to make it but she came back to us and we had 3 more years with her.....so no turkey for our dogs..maria
Turkey meat in and of itself is not dangerous for dogs to eat. Turkey SKIN cannot be digested, and much of the problem with dogs eating turkey seems to stem from the fact that turkey is much higher in fat than chicken, and it's the fat that causes the problems. Also, much of the time the turkey is cooked with stuffing in it, and the ingredients of the stuffing permeate the meat as it cooks, so even though WE can't really tell, there's enough of it in there to upset a dog's stomach. A turkey that is baked in the oven with the cavity empty is no more dangerous for a dog to eat than chicken is. It's just a myth that turkey itself is bad for dogs, but the way I see it, if I go to the trouble of cooking a turkey, *I'M* going to be the one to eat it, and the dog and the cats will each get just a tiny bite so they can say they had some.
Thank you so much, Red, for posting that wonderful list! It's a very good thing to be able to refer to, and hopefully some of the folks who read here who have their dogs on predominantly human/table food diets will read it and take it to heart. It will save their doggies a lot of distress in the long run.
Your welcome. There were things on that list that I didn't know about myself. I learned something else about the turkey also. I was always told that is was the antibiotics that the turkeys were raised on that made them fatty as you mentioned. I never would have thought of the skin and stuffing as it is so similar to chicken.
The Vet always says that my dogs can have chicken as long as it is boiled, and as you said...no skin.
I will say that another that surprised me is mushrooms. The reason why is because they have no significant nutritional value for us either. However, if you are feeding your dog table scraps and giving him/her something prepared with mushrooms I would think you wouldn't think much of it.
I am glad that the list helped. That is what we are all here for.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.
We're in the process of updating our system during which our trackers and health tools will not be available. We are doing our best to finish this update quickly. They should become available by 6:00 p.m. PST