Dogs Community
Wheaton Terrier Allergies

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Wheaton Terrier Allergies

My Wheaton Terrier is suffering terribly from allergies.  The doctor has given me temaril p but I'm hesitant to keep him on steroids for a long period of time.  Is benedryl equally effective and is it safe?  If so how much is safe to give him (he's 2years old and weighs 35 pounds).  Is there another treatment that you could suggest?  I have removed wheat gluton from his diet.  

Thanks.
Susan
Tags: allergys
My terrier also had allergies. For a while we gave her medicine and then our vet asked us what kind of food bol she had (plastic or stainless). She had a plastic bowl so our vet immediately suggested to switch to stainless and part of her sneezing and difficulty breathing immediately stoped. I don't know what kind of bowl your dog has but it can help.
Also, I've heard that acupuncture can cure allergies. Maybe it works on dogs aswell.
Good luck,
Temaril P is my choice for allergies cause it works....Also, The dose of steroids is very low in this one....Benedryl can be effective but sometimes sedating....The dose is 1mg.  per lb. every 8hrs.  Hope this helps....I hate allergy season!!!!!!!!!       Karla
P.S. I've also, heard about the bowl thing.