Dogs Community
White something on dog's anus

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

White something on dog's anus

We left our  Boston Terrier at a trusted kennel for 9 days last Thursday morning (he's stayed many times and it's where our vet boards his own dogs). When we got him home he was fine, playful, energetic and acting normal, but then we found he was straining to do his business, so much so that there was a tiny bit of blood on his stool the first time.  They got progressively more solid and he was back to normal within a day, but now he has this odd white area just above his anus, under his tail (or what qualifies as his tail, which is very tiny).  It's hard to get a good look because every time we try to lift the fur he thinks we're playing with him.  It's obviously not causing him any pain, and my husband said from what he can tell it feels like a soft, swollen spot.  It's oddly white, like the color of cartilage, and looks like it might be flaky, but it's not just dry skin because it's fairly raised.  (But it's not a "Lump."  I don't really know how to describe it.)  

It's possible but not very probable that this has been there for a long time since it's hidden under his tail area and we only noticed because he was constipated, but since he gets bathed and he sees the vet regularly I assume it's a new thing.  I'm just worried it might be some form of canine cancer, even though I haven't really gotten a good look at it yet (later today when he's calmer we'll attempt to lift the tail again and get a closer look.)  He has no other symptoms and is perfectly normal, playful, eating well.  The rest of that area looks fine as well, his anal sacs are not full or anything else.  He's four years old, was fixed at 6 months and has never had any health issues except for an ear infection and some seasonal allergies, and he is up to date on all his shots, etc.  Could this just be some irritation or swelling leftover from being constipated almost 5 days ago?  
Its likely that it's just irritation, but an abcess (abscess), cyst, or tumor is also possible.

If when he came home from the vet he was straining with blood, then it's likely that he had diarrhea (due to stress) during his stay at the kennel, and only got better once he got home. Straining and blood happens with prolonged diarrhea, and though you may think it's constipation, it often isn't. The muscles are in constant spasm (people don't call it rippin diarrhea for nothing) causing a lot of pain, and the anus will get raw and inflamed. As he got better and it healed, the new skin would look whitish pink.

Playing that out in my mind, I would go with irritation. But anything is possible, I've seen masses, cysts, and abcesses in the area. I would see your vet if you think it's changed, gotten bigger, causes him pain or discomfort, interferes with his bathroom habits, etc... Hope this helped :)